Hardcore Sledder banner

Old Forge or Tug Hill... Where More Wrecks Happen ???

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Easy Pickins 
#1 ·
Since there is No Good Trail reports to post this week.... Where is the Most Common area in NY for Wrecks??

I dont Ride Tug Hill anymore and usually Ride Old Forge, Mrp and Speculator Weekly if the snow is Right...

FEEL FREE TO POST....................................

#3 ·
If you don't ride TH anymore and switched to OF, then you know the answer.

Maybe it's the reported approx. 20,000 ride on the hill in any given weekend and OF sells about 14,000 permits each season. All of the permit holders aren't there at the same time though.[/b]
I believe that Tug Hill takes a bad rap for just this reason... The greater the volume the greater the chance for an accident. I believe if there was a way to track the volume of sleds for every other trail system in the state and compare this to the number of accidents that occur the ratio of sleds to wrecks would be closer than you think JMO. I for one enjoy riding Tug Hill and have had many trouble free miles and I know I am not the only one, riding during the week helps alot. I have also had my share of close calls wtih people going way to fast down the middle of the trail and smoking through corners on my side and so on but again I believe the ratio comes into play. I have had many close calls in other areas of the state too. . .

#4 ·
I mainly ride Old Forge and have just started venturing with some long loop rides from OF to Tug Hill and back. We are still getting to know the eastern part of Tug Hill better and better each time. You do notice that the majority of the trails on TH are about 200% narrower which can lead to many more close calls since there is less room and also that the trails are rougher which I feel leads to more riders standing up more & going faster to stay on top of the bumps. It's a mixed bag as to why / where people wreck - I know I did not see anymore riders in TH than OF so I doubt it's volume so who knows why.. I do know I am more scared to take my GF to TH than anywhere else just because of all the narrow trails w/ blind corners - for fear of her getting hurt basically - I would love to ride these at speed if we knew they were one-way but we all know that is not possible..

#5 ·
If you don't ride TH anymore and switched to OF, then you know the answer.

Maybe it's the reported approx. 20,000 ride on the hill in any given weekend and OF sells about 14,000 permits each season. All of the permit holders aren't there at the same time though.[/b]

20,000 Sleds on the hill on a weekend.. I would have thought 1500 maybe, We use to ride friday & sat and maybe pass 150 sleds at most on the trails not at the parking lot...

Had a buddy hit head on and killed on a thurs afternoon up there.... took the fun out of riding up there for me

#6 ·
20,000 Sleds on the hill on a weekend.. I would have thought 1500 maybe, We use to ride friday & sat and maybe pass 150 sleds at most on the trails not at the parking lot...

Had a buddy hit head on and killed on a thurs afternoon up there.... took the fun out of riding up there for me[/b]
sorry to hear about your buddy, but that could have happened in your backyard. Would you stop riding there then?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.