Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a problem. I bought a gallon of apv oil at some grass drags a dealer was selling and never really looked to see if it was the synthetic and I dumped some in my res. Should I suck that out? I was just going to run AC apv oil for this first gallon then switch to Klotz, which I normally run.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The new APV oil is OK but the old stuff sucks . It is hard to clean off valves and tends
to gum up the apv system sooner than Klotz or the new fully synthetic APV oil from Cat.
I would not bother draining it but I would not use it again . The other oils are much
easier to clean off the valaves .

·
Registered
909 Posts
I did the same thing with the older apv oil not realizing it until I went to buy a new gallon.
My sled would run over 105 easy with about 300 mi. I now have 1200 mi. and for the last few weeks 90 was about as fast as I could get out of it. Cleaned the valves today. Gummed up so bad I had a hard time getting them out. I would deffinatley swith to the snythetic apv if your going to use arctic cat oil. I am going to check them after about 500 mi. more. I am thinking that i am going to try the spectro syn. I have heard very many good things about it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i did the same thing too,when i bought my sled last year it was all filled up then they gave me the rest of the gallon when i went to refill it the guy next to me noticed it and said that is the old shit it,s red should be blue like in his bottle so i had no choice but to run the rest out checked my valves when i got home by pulling on the cables from the servo they were free and now i just ordered 2 gallons of amsoil the sled has 522 miles have not run it with amsoil yet time will tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ran APV oil all last year for 1600 miles & 700 this year, I never had to clean my valves once. The trick is backing off the oil pump a tiny bit. My pump was set up "properly" from the factory but when I backed it off a little the mileage improved & the sled ran great. Keeping a close eye on piston wash & plug color I never had a problem. The APV oil isn't cheap but I can get it anywhere on the trails in NH & ME so it works for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts