Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this qestion before, but it was on the day we switched forums and I think it got lost. Anyway, what mileage are you gettin to a full oil reservoir? I am hoping some of the Firecat owners with some miles under their belts can help me out. I am curiouse since I have no miles on my sled yet. :(

Damn Midwest winter!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I RODE ABOUT 130 MILES AND IT USED ABOUT 3/8'S OF THE TANK. THEY WHERE EASY MILES, AS I WAS TRYING TO BREAK HER IN . I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH MORE IT WILL BURN WHEN HAMMERED ON.

BUT I SAY USE THE OIL, IT IS CHEAPER THEN A BURN DOWN!

·
Registered
290 Posts
hmmm lets try to do the math:

I assume the mix ratio is 50:1

res. holds 2.8qts
2.8 x 32oz = 89.6 oz. of oil in the tank

1 gallon of gas(128oz) / 50:1 (50) = 2.56 oz of oil per gallon of gas

so.... 89.6oz of oil in the tank / 2.56oz (50:1) = 35 gallons gas per 1 full tank of oil

Does this sound right to anyone else? Anybody know the exact mix ratio?

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My oil light came on at 80 miles on the f5-took a quart and a half at 120 miles,not good,considering tank is 2.8 quarts-so at that ratio about 240 miles per tank-but in hindsight it used twice as much oil as my 2001 zr500-so not a tank issue but a oil pump adjustment issue-will have my dealer adjust before christmas break.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Your oil consumption is totaly variable on conditions throttle position and initial oil pump set-up. Say your running an approx. 50:1 fuel oil ratio which would equal 50 gallons of fuel to 1 gallon of oil. I don't think I'm too far off if I told you three fill ups of gas to one oil tank fill up and your low oil light should be on at this point. I never wait for the light to come on , if you have the opprotunity and the oil to top up way not save the potential of picking up an air bubble in the system, a stitch in time saves nine and all that....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
call me crazy,
my dealer told me the injection rate of the oil is not adjustable,
is he right or wrong?

this question i brought up to him about my fouling plugs

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oh yeah, it's adjustable i haven"t looked the the f cat but usually the cable is ajustable , he proably wants to leave it rich to be on the safe side. Take it from me, fouled plugs are cheaper ,and more avaliable than cylinders and pistons right now :wacko:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Trust me all the zr500s ive owned ive never seen the oil light come on!!!!!!!!!!Why,first off its a bigger tank on the zrs,i always top off oil before every trip.I was shocked when oil light came on at 80 miles,but not really surprised after reading all the posts about the oil light problem on the f5s,but my f5 didnt fall into that recall problem,mine was a second build,vin number didnt fall in that recall.Anyways like i said though it used twice as much as my zr500,me and my wife where pretty much taking it easy this weekend,so twice as much oil concerns me!!!!!!!!!!!!!2001 zr500 apv used 3/4 of a quart in 120 miles-f5 used 1 and half quarts-i let my wife break in the f5,she babied it and it still used twice as much oil-not good.By the way i kept a nervous eye on that oil tank until we got back to the hotel,was checking that damn thing every 10 miles,hard to see the level at night,thank god i had the maglight. but if you look hard enough day or night you can see the level,unlike the coolant tank where you cant see through the tank!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Thanks for the input. From what I gathered, about 2.5-3 tanks of fuel to one oil tank. Depending on conditions. That should give me a good estimate.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Originally posted by 2002SVT@Dec 10 2002, 08:42 PM
BUT I SAY USE THE OIL, IT IS CHEAPER THEN A BURN DOWN!
I just picked up some Arctic Cat oil !!! 31$ / gallon.

If the parts wernt on backorder I`d take a burn down. Warranty work is free. LOL :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts