Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked under my hood and saw oil over the side of the oil res. and all over the top of the engine. Looks like a spray from somewere just cant find where. The sled has been ridne on grass for maybe 5 minutes but other than that it has not been ridden only has 1.2 miles on it. I started it and reved it up and looked to see where the spray was comming from but nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM ON MINE. WHAT I FOUND OUT WAS THAT THE MACHINE WAS SO RICH THAT MY PIPES WERE DRIPPING WITH OIL ON THE INSIDE. IT WAS BEING FORCED OUT AT THE GRAPHITE DOUGH-NUT I THINK BECAUSE IT HAD NOT BEEN RUN ENOUGH TO SEAT YET. SO I FIGURED OUT MY INJECTION RATIO AND CORRECTED THAT, THEN I PUT SOME HIGH HEAT SILICONE ON THE PIPE CONNECTIONS. PROBLEM SOLVED. I'M JUST NOT SURE HOW THAT SHIT WILL COME OFF THE PIPE AND DOUGH-NUT WHEN I NEXT TAKE IT APART TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS OR WHATEVER.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
I just looked under my hood and saw oil over the side of the oil res. and all over the top of the engine. Looks like a spray from somewere just cant find where. The sled has been ridne on grass for maybe 5 minutes but other than that it has not been ridden only has 1.2 miles on it. I started it and reved it up and looked to see where the spray was comming from but nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!![/b]

Yeah....they do that until the dounut can seat itself better. They have to get hot and then a little jiggling like riding down a bumpy trail works well to get them to seat. It should go away though. They do run real rich though! :banghead:

·
Registered
64 Posts
if it is not the doughnut it may be a small hole in your y pipe. Mine and other M's have had small holes in the y pipe, clutch side cylinder, by the inside nut where its welded. I took the pipe off and had it welded closed. If you have it welded make sure you still have the clearance to gey the nut back on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Same thing is happening w/ my 800. Chances are you're just running real rich and oil is spitting through the donut. I'm gonna raise my oil ratio and not bother siliconing the pipe anywhere. Should solve the problem.

I noticed also this is more likely to happen if you give it throttle b4 the engine has a chance to warm up a bit.

Mael

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
mines not really dripping from the y-pipe its more like spattering everywhere . . . would it be wise to just replace the doughnut or mess with the y-pipe? thanks for any info[/b]

Just ride it for a while and it should seal up. Sometimes it takes a bit for the donut to take shape. And later, if you pull the pipe for some reason, try to put the donut back on in the same position, where it has worn in.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Take a piece of tin foil and wrap it around the doughnut area. That will keep the spray from getting on your shiny new sled. Works great and after the sled runs for a couple mins in the field it will go away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.