Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70 to 80:1 at light throttle is normal according to spec from Suzuki. This
has been a common complaint or comment on higher HP sleds over the years.
The oil ratio is leaner at low throttle settings and with the higher HP
sleds you don't get into the throttle as much to maintain speed. If you are
a throttle pumper you wont notice it but if you are a steady thumb rider
you will. I bet the guys that are noticing it are the ones who are steady
thumb riders. Bottom line is what you are seeing is not unusual or
abnormal.[/b]

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
Keep in mind if you take the slack out of your throttle cable this will open your pump farther. Check this before you adj. your pump settings.....

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yes,i have to agree,but this still doesnt account for misadjusted oil pump settings-i couldnt believe the oil my f5 was using compared to all my zr500s-my f5 was using a quart and half at 100 miles,this means i would be getting 200 miles to a tank of oil,thats plain sick!!!!Was using twice the oil as my zr500s-took it back to dealer to get updates,said my oil pump adjustment was way off from factory,since then its perfect-after reading about it in the 2003 performance manual and double checking it myself,the oil pump marks at idle and full throttle are exactly where they should be.Personally,i think with these new motors,cat just wanted to be on the safe side from factory-same as jetting on f5s,cats running them rich as usual-98 zr500s started out with 360 mains from factory,by the time 2001 came around with apvs down to 330s from factory-now on the f5s 380s from factory,a few years will be down to 360s,cats just covering there asses-just my two cents-scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the obvious question is, why are the F5's using so much more oil than the F7's? I think it has a lot to do with horsepower and throttle position. On the F7 you can cruise at high speeds with a small throttle opening. On the F5 you probably are throttling it hard enough to use a lot more oil.. Just my opinion. :mellow:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 2 2003, 05:20 PM
the obvious question is, why are the F5's using so much more oil than the F7's?  I think it has a lot to do with horsepower and throttle position.  On the F7 you can cruise at high speeds with a small throttle opening.  On the F5 you probably are throttling it hard enough to use a lot more oil.. Just my opinion. :mellow:
I'm not so sure...even with VERY hard riding, some of the numbers for oil use are incredible!
A quart and a half in 100 miles is somewhere around 25:1! This can't be correct can it??????:blink: :wacko: :( :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are correct. even at WOT the mix should be no more than 40:1. 25:1 is like an old chainsaw or something :lol: that's absurd :wacko: :blink:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yes alot of guys are complaining about there f5s-first there wondering why there oil light comes on at half a tank of oil,they fail to realize thats exactly when the oil light should be coming on, the real problem is the damn thing is using to much oil-personally i see no reason that a f5 shouldnt be able to get 400 miles out of a tank of oil

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just returned from up north and I couldn't believe the oil mileage my F7 was getting. I was averaging 1quart/230 - 240 miles. That is stupid compared to my xc6. Very impressed!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks Rob glad to see this thread has it's own home now. Just to clarify as some have emailed me with questions. Regarding the ratio = The higher the number the less oil you are getting. Eg 80:1 means your motor is getting half the oil as at 40:1. Also you need to keep track of liters or gallons of gas used vs oil to get a half assed accurate ratio reading. Due to varying riding styles and conditons your mileage will vary and you can not used miles travelled to get a very accurate reading by assuming mileage. It would be interesting to see what everyone is getting for a ratio. Rob did you check your alignment marks yet. Judging from your numbers I am gonna assume it is coming up a little short?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok here is the scoop. First off I got to rechecking pump marks and noticed they were pretty close at idle but way off at WOT. Hmmm, not possible right? Well I traced it down to misadjusted throttle cable. It was not opening all the way and therfore not pulling the pump all the way open. Readjusted throttle cable and and now marks line up. Will take some remeasurements of oil ratio and see what outcome is. This is what was mudding the waters for me.

Word from a couple of Cats best is if alignment marks line up then that is what you are after not so much ratios. I would not be to concerned with leaner a ratios IF (and this is a big if) alignment marks are where they should be. Bottom line is adjust to spec and give her shit. That throtttle adjustment thing really threw me for a loop. All is well, 4-500 miles this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If your oil usage is still too high when the marks are lined up, just adjust it down a little. Just lining up the factory marks doesn't always mean it's going to be accurate. ;)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Thumper,just curious if you pulled your intake boots and looked to see if the throttle plates were opening all the way before you made the adjustments.What a pain to check the oil pump calibration,I pulled the rear pan and still had to use a mirror.I found the exact same thing(I think),was yours not quite making it to the WOT line,but was right on at Idle?Did anyone else notice that there was an extra alignment mark that was about an 1/8 above the idle line,whats it there for? :unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know my F5 oil consumption was 25:1 as set from the factory.

I backed the pump oil line cable up a little bit and am now getting 40:1.

22.oz of oil for 100 miles.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Jan 4 2003, 07:12 AM
If your oil usage is still too high when the marks are lined up, just adjust it down a little. Just lining up the factory marks doesn't always mean it's going to be accurate. ;)
If a sled was running 83:1 why would you adjust it down? Worried about it being to lean - read the whole thread please, this is a little more involved than that.

Throttle linkage was a little slack as has been covered in other posts therefore WOT throttle was not WOT and consequently it was not pulling the pump all the way open.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes redf5sp, you found the same thing we were experiencing. You need to adjust cable slack till there is 1/16 - 1/32 play at throttle body stop & shaft when WOT. Never looked at the butterflys. Found this on alot of sleds but never really explored it further, just adjusted it. It should have clicked earlier.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Originally posted by Thumper+Jan 4 2003, 07:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Gunner F5
@Jan 4 2003, 07:12 AM
If your oil usage is still too high when the marks are lined up, just adjust it down a little.  Just lining up the factory marks doesn't always mean it's going to be accurate.   ;)
If a sled was running 83:1 why would you adjust it down? Worried about it being to lean - read the whole thread please, this is a little more involved than that.

Throttle linkage was a little slack as has been covered in other posts therefore WOT throttle was not WOT and consequently it was not pulling the pump all the way open.[/b]
Well here it goes: If it's not pulling the pump all the way, then it will most likely pump more oil when it does. Sound correct?? FYI I adjusted my throttle to raise the slides to the top, THEN adjusted the oil pump so the line on the linkage just comes up before the WOT throttle mark on the pump.

When did I say anything about running 83:1

1 - 20 of 26 Posts