Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am familiar with the very detailed post on HCS in the firecat forum that shows how to measure for oil ratio and how to adjust the oil pump correctly. I am using AMSOil and have yet to measure ratio but I'm quite sure I am using too much oil.
The post I was speaking about above has us taking off the belly pan to get to the linkage. Is this the best way or is there a easier method I should use for my Crossfire? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not all say it can/should be done this way, but here's how I did it and at least 3-4 other guys I know....

Remove Exhaust Pipe (Leave Y-pipe alone)
(Remove Hood - not necessary, but very much easier)
Remove Air Box
Pull Air Plenum off throttle bodies towards where the air box was.
Reach in where air plenum was and pop off bottom of linkage.
Top of linkage is pretty easy to get to.

Adjust linkage, reassemble. Not a bad job.

The biggest b_stard of the job is that air plenum. Make sure, if you can, to have it as warm as possible to aid in it's flexibility.
They can be a bear to get out, just keep pulling/working, it will come.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just removed the exhaust, and Y- pipe, then took a long screwdriver to pop the ends off. Adjustment made, and popped it back on. Took 10 minutes tops. Hardest part is putting the bottom end back on, she is kind of a bear. Cleans up the old pukey, blubbery mid range though!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just removed the exhaust, and Y- pipe, then took a long screwdriver to pop the ends off. Adjustment made, and popped it back on. Took 10 minutes tops. Hardest part is putting the bottom end back on, she is kind of a bear. Cleans up the old pukey, blubbery mid range though![/b]
I've done it this way too... it can be done, but you need to be careful not to bend anything.... (which is why I didn't throw it out there on the above description) Works good and quick if you're mechanically inclined and careful...

Goood Luck.... Thanks Robocop

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The first time I did it on my F7 I did it in the snow and dropped the torx bit so off to the store I went &^%$#@*............it really is a piece of cake that everyone should take advantage of.
With the cost of gas and oil why throw extra oil out the exhaust pipe because Cat doesn't want to setup properly. :boxing:

I've done it this way too... it can be done, but you need to be careful not to bend anything.... (which is why I didn't throw it out there on the above description) Works good and quick if you're mechanically inclined and careful...

Goood Luck.... Thanks Robocop[/b]

·
Registered
122 Posts
so how many turns out or in on the rod have you guys did?????????[/b]
I would really do an oil test first, adjusting without testing could lead to some bad results. For the amount of time and effort it takes do a consumption test.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think it's easiest to flip the sled on it's side and remove the center pan, then pop the rod off from the bottom. Unless you have a skid plate rivited on, then it's easier to do it from the top.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I think it's easiest to flip the sled on it's side and remove the center pan, then pop the rod off from the bottom. Unless you have a skid plate rivited on, then it's easier to do it from the top.[/b]
X2
Takes 5 minutes to take off the center belly pan. By the way I was at about 33-1 stock. Adjusted it 2 turns and checked it over the weekend and I'm about 45-1. Going to go one more turn, and check it again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
X2
Takes 5 minutes to take off the center belly pan. By the way I was at about 33-1 stock. Adjusted it 2 turns and checked it over the weekend and I'm about 45-1. Going to go one more turn, and check it again.[/b]
I'm also running about 33:1. I had the belly pan off the other day and looked right at the pump. What is it exactly that you turn and which way do you turn it to reduce oil? Do you have to take the pump off the crankcase and adjust something inside? Is it the throttle cable? Is it the pump boss with the alignment mark on it? Apparently, I'm a little slow.

Help please. Oil is too expensive to be pissing it away.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm also running about 33:1. I had the belly pan off the other day and looked right at the pump. What is it exactly that you turn and which way do you turn it to reduce oil? Do you have to take the pump off the crankcase and adjust something inside? Is it the throttle cable? Is it the pump boss with the alignment mark on it? Apparently, I'm a little slow.

Help please. Oil is too expensive to be pissing it away.[/b]
Just pop the operating rod off, loosen the lock nut, lengthen it two turns, tighten the lock nut, then pop the rod back on.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
X2
Takes 5 minutes to take off the center belly pan. By the way I was at about 33-1 stock. Adjusted it 2 turns and checked it over the weekend and I'm about 45-1. Going to go one more turn, and check it again.[/b]
That's almost exactly where I was after two turns, but I opted to leave it there, rather than run over 50:1. It would be nice if they had more adjustment there, since one full turn is a pretty big jump.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

Help please. Oil is too expensive to be pissing it away.[/b]
Remove rod ( part # 10 ) and shorten the rod. One turn is approx. 10:1

:flag_canada:

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Remove rod ( part # 10 ) and shorten the rod. One turn is approx. 10:1

:flag_canada:[/b]
If you shorten the rod your increasing the oil. You want to lengthen the rod to lean it out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks guys. I adjusted it two turns and will post results after I burn some more gas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Should I put new plugs in after each time I adjust the oiler? Will the color of the old plugs change or do I need new ones in there to get a more accurate reading?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts