Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was riding today and my oil light came on. I was pretty sure i had plenty of oil but i poured some of my buddy's Polaris synthetic in just to be sure (i couldn't see the reservoir very well). The light remained on pretty much steadily for the last 20 miles. I'm certain there's plenty of oil in the reservoir now but the light is still on. I'm thinking maybe it's just a faulty sensor or something.

Has this happened to anyone?

Do you think i'm safe to ride tomorrow?

Or could light be indicating some other problem other than low oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Why don't people fill out their profiles completely so readers of their posts would know what model and year sled they're taking about???????!!!!!!!

There have been a lot of problems with oil level sensors. There was a service bulleting from Cat covering certain years and models.

On the faulty sensors, the oil light would come on when only down 1 quart. The oil reservoir holds more than 2 1/2 quarts. So, just fill up the res. and ride. It helps to know how much oil you typically use per tank of fuel (10 gallons or so). Then you don't need to rely on the stupid (aka idiot) light.

Some people had new sensors installed and now the light is on all the time. Most of them are useless.

Fill, ride and forget. Start with a full tank of fuel and full oil res. and then keep track of how much of each is used to figure out the fuel/oil ratio. Should be about 50 to 1.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
has the oil sensor update been done? also the tanks only hold 3.8 gallons or something. have you checked your ratio of gas to oil for riding conditions.? all things to look at if its on when full or after 20 miles you have something wrong

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. It's an '03 F5.

I think i may have had the sensor replaced. Or maybe i'm thinking of my buddy and his '05 F6? To be honest, i've lost track of all the recall work, there's been about 30 of them on this sled.

So is the consensus... as long as I know I have oil don't worry about the idiot light?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
has the oil sensor update been done? also the tanks only hold 3.8 gallons or something. have you checked your ratio of gas to oil for riding conditions.? all things to look at if its on when full or after 20 miles you have something wrong[/b]

3.8 Gallons!!!???? I wish. More like 2 1/2 QUARTS.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is the light still on after you filled it ? If yes I would have someone check the sending unit or switch sending units with a friends sled before I rode it. If your pump has quit and you are not getting enough or NO oil your sled won't last long. If you still can't figure it out I would pre-mix just to be safe until you can make sure your oil consumption is correct. A fouled set of plugs is a lot cheaper than a trashed set of pistons and cylinders. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I had this happen to my new f1000...it was on with .4 miles and the resevoir was full. After 20 miles of riding it the light went out and all is good! I think the sensor was just stuck in open loop and needed to get moved around a bit to get back to normal. Don't worry about it, if you had no oil you would definatley know......BOOM!

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Is the light still on after you filled it ? If yes I would have someone check the sending unit or switch sending units with a friends sled before I rode it. If your pump has quit and you are not getting enough or NO oil your sled won't last long. If you still can't figure it out I would pre-mix just to be safe until you can make sure your oil consumption is correct. A fouled set of plugs is a lot cheaper than a trashed set of pistons and cylinders. JMO[/b]
All the sensor is is a low warning light, Cat is known to have a problem with these sensors....If the pump has quit, he'd never make it 20 miles....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
my bad.
definitely only 2.8 quarts not gallons. we could ride forever with a 3.8 gallon oil tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
yea this happened on mine as well 03 F5...... cat recalled it so i had the first one replaced.... that one went bad again.... got another one and didnt even bother putting it in! its sitting in my garage... ride my sled everyday with the light on and it never goes off and never had a problem just always remember to fill it before each ride!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts