Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me trouble shoot this?

I recently just replaced the track on my sled, and am having a problem with an oil leak, i can contribute this to 2 possibilties, I think.

First of all, when i was putting the drive shaft back in place I realized it was easier to do this with the oil seal removed where the crank shaft goes into the chaincase. Any how, when i removed it the spring came off so I wasnt 100 percent sure if I put it back in the right place . BUt only one place seemed most logical, so I put it there, I wish i could find a picture of this seal up close showing the spring placement so i knew for sure. I'm almost positive its in the right place though. So assuming it is placed right, the other possibility being the most likely one, is that its leaking oil because i put too much in, yes I was stupid and should had read the specs first, but i didnt, and therefore instead of putting in 250 ml I put in 500ml, will the oil leak out because of this? did i cause any possible damage to the seal from putting in too much oil? I figured because there was so much space in the crank case that 500 ml would be about the right amount. Oh well, live and learn, and never assume.

Any input would be great .
Thanks
-C

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Can someone help me trouble shoot this?

I recently just replaced the track on my sled, and am having a problem with an oil leak, i can contribute this to 2 possibilties, I think.

First of all, when i was putting the drive shaft back in place I realized it was easier to do this with the oil seal removed where the crank shaft goes into the chaincase. Any how, when i removed it the spring came off so I wasnt 100 percent sure if I put it back in the right place . BUt only one place seemed most logical, so I put it there, I wish i could find a picture of this seal up close showing the spring placement so i knew for sure. I'm almost positive its in the right place though. So assuming it is placed right, the other possibility being the most likely one, is that its leaking oil because i put too much in, yes I was stupid and should had read the specs first, but i didnt, and therefore instead of putting in 250 ml I put in 500ml, will the oil leak out because of this? did i cause any possible damage to the seal from putting in too much oil? I figured because there was so much space in the crank case that 500 ml would be about the right amount. Oh well, live and learn, and never assume.

Any input would be great .
Thanks
-C[/b]
Are you sure you got the seal all the way into the short tube so that the ring on the outside fit into the grove on the inside? not easy. I missed once and had it fall out losing all the oil. Also, my original seal had the spring in the right place but turned out to be worn around the shaft. I couldn't tell it was worn out until I compared it to a new one. The stock oil level is below the shaft seal, so having it too full will make it leak if the seal is going bad. It could also come out the vent hole, but probably would just add unnecessary drag. Wipe everything clean and watch closely to see where it's leaking.

Good luck, you may end up taking it apart again before you get it solved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.