Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... Couple of things here. Cat is looking at all possibilities for the few repeat engine problems out there.. Apparently, SOME f7 oil pumps exhibit wide tolerances for oil flow.. A few have been tested that are as lean as 120:1 at quarter throttle. Some of the thinking is that marginal cooling at part throttle combined with marginal oil consumption MIGHT be causing a few problems. Either one alone would be ok, but both combined under just the wrong conditions is NOT good. Cat feels the need to do something, and that's understandable. But any kind of advisory that covers ALL f7s is going to affect many adversely. ...In other words, some f7s will end up pig rich....

Best advice I can give is to monitor oil consumption carefully. If you exceed 70:1 ratio you should increase your oil pump setting yourself and forget running the premix crap.

Another thing that bugs me is the old idea that premix is bad for the smart valves.. remember that??? All the dealers forgetting that now suddenly? Run too much premix and the smart valves clog. Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't, eh?

I will continue to try and get answers to the ever-changing factory position on oil consumption. In the meantime, just continue to take responsibility for your own sled yourself.

Oh yeah... Me? I pulled my pipe and manifold again today. Pistons fine at 4150mi. I average between 70:1 and 80:1 But I did give the oil pump 2 additional turns just to be on the safe side... B)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rob, are you saying we should adjust the oil pumps to be safe?? Sounds like another "how to" posting with pics so everyone can understand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by sabrecat_f7@Feb 7 2003, 09:34 PM
Rob, are you saying we should adjust the oil pumps to be safe?? Sounds like another "how to" posting with pics so everyone can understand.
I adjusted mine because I felt it was a little marginal all along.. I was getting over 1000 miles to the quart in Canada, and that is a little on the edge. Best advice is to see where you are on this issue.. Over 70:1, and it won't hurt to increase oil flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
forgot to say, adjusting the oil pump on these things is not for everyone.. You need to pull the pan under the engine and even then you need nimble fingers. I don't think it is practical to do a how-to on this one..

·
Registered
369 Posts
I haven't been keeping track of ounces of oil per gallons of gas, but I can usually get 2-2 1/2 tanks of gas when I fill my oil. Sounds about right, doesn't it? I am a heavy throttle rider....always squeezing her to the max.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's a little more info I just received:
The techs are telling dealers to have them premix until they can get their pumps changed, 80/1 is the message. Its a precaution for the guys who may be way off.[/b]
So even at 80:1 you are ok. But SOME F7s are even leaner.. a LOT leaner. THESE are the ones that should be concerned! So it is more important than even to check you oil consumption this weekend. How about if we all do it, and post our results sunday night? Sound like a good idea? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
827 Posts
hey rob, was at my dealer tonite buying a new helmet,i was talking to chuck,(sales manager)he advised me to run more pre-mix after my first tank is done, that cat is working on an oil pump problem,,by the way he also has an f7 sno pro,i think he is on the level,big time arctic cat dealer,one of the biggest in the nation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by mark white@Feb 7 2003, 10:19 PM
rob, don't you mean to say that you were getting 1000 miles to the gallon and not the quart.
yes, sorry :eek: :ph34r:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rob, nice to see another early riser on a Saturday!!! Anyway, could you address my previous post on oil cunsumption and tell me if I'm close, or if I should mix a little oil with my gas 'till I get to the dealer for the adjustments. I am drag racing tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
about how much oil should we add to a full tank of gas? i havent heard anything from my dealer either and i probably wont. they dont contact anyone. is amsoil ok to run premix? i added my last drop of my original acrtic cat apv oil at 850 miles so i dont think i am running lean (i hope) i had over a 1000 miles before hitting my second gallon of oil (now running amsoil) ohh by the way, it is good to see other early risers too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by sabrecat_f7@Feb 7 2003, 09:49 PM
I haven't been keeping track of ounces of oil per gallons of gas, but I can usually get 2-2 1/2 tanks of gas when I fill my oil. Sounds about right, doesn't it? I am a heavy throttle rider....always squeezing her to the max.
its hard to say exactly from that..

when you 'fill your oil', how much oil do you use? And how much gas at a fillup? If you take say 8 gal x 2 1/2 = 20gal...And say a quart of oil, that comes out to about 80:1, a little lean, especially if you are into the throttle. on the other hand, if you just take 5 gal at fillup x 2 1/2 = 12.5gal and a quart of oil then that is 50:1 which is fine, rich even. that shows why we need to keep close track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by otterbob@Feb 8 2003, 06:04 AM
yeah i see what you are saying. all i know my plugs are definetly not indicating a lean condition that is for sure.
but remember, plug color is indicitive of fuel mixture, not oil mix.. You would only see oil on the plugs if it were pig rich.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you reading reading your plugs correctly......make shure you are riding w.f.o. and then hit the kill switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rob,I have 850 miles on my f5 and have used a little over 3 GALLONS of oil.Still on original plugs! I use a quart every 80 0r so miles depending on the conditions.At that ratio shouldnt i be fouling plugs?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Originally posted by rob+Feb 8 2003, 06:07 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-otterbob
@Feb 8 2003, 06:04 AM
yeah i see what you are saying.   all i know my plugs are definetly not indicating a lean condition that is for sure.
but remember, plug color is indicitive of fuel mixture, not oil mix.. You would only see oil on the plugs if it were pig rich.[/b]
so you say if i look at my plugs and they are black that dosen't mean that it's ok chould still be lean???

·
Registered
348 Posts
You should be adding a minimum of 1.6 oz of oil per gallon of gas. That = 80:1 mix.
1 Fill up the tank with gas and top off the oil.
2 Go for a ride!
3 Fill up with gas.
4 Fill the oil but measure the exact amount used in oz.
5 Multiply the gal of gas used by 1.6 and that should be the minimum amount of oil you should be adding.

Ex: add 8.5 gal gas x 1.6=13.6 oz of oil.
If you use less oil add the extra to the gas plus a proportional amount more for each gal. in the tank before filling. More oil if you want it richer.
2 oz per gal. would be 64:1
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
485 Posts
<_< :angry: All of this is just great. I'm going riding and i'm not bringing a damn calculator to fiqure out my ratios at the pump. And where will you carry the oil anyhow ? ( next to the spare spark plug holder ??? :angry: ) Welcome to my world in Canada, metric rules and your ounces to gallons don't mean jack here !! Saying that I stated in another post when guys were saying how great their oil economy was I became worried. This isn't rocket science here folks. I knew my f7 wasn't sucking enough oil so i pulled the belly pan and looked at the oil pump index marks.... way off. I didn't do a thing about it except bring it staight back to the dealer and let HIM make the adjustment. Now the fact that I ran 2500 miles with insufficient lubrication is now warranty documented and they will be (at least in my mind ) liable for when and if it pops again. Arctic Cat needs a swift kick on two fronts for this one, first a pump index check should be part of the pdi of a unit and I believe that it's not, that has cost them one and possibly two motors from myself alone. Secondly whoever is assembling these units at the factory needs there eyes checked since i've been 3 for 3 on improper pump setups from the factory. I'll take take your oil and your coupon. Thankyou. I'd rather have , no wait, I DEMNAD a properly setup reliable hassle free unit . If you can't provide someone else will. Now before any one bashes me about this post I'd like to say on my last 840km trip I used 3.5 ltres of oil , roughly a 100 miles/ quart.If Cat wants more specific than this they can ride beside me with their sliderules and pocket protectors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts