Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked oil consumption today and on an 00 ZL 500, running at 33:1. Plugs are not wet only dark brown, varied riding conditions during check including WOT, ran sled 42 miles for check, jetted with 340's (2 sizes below factory), 1500 RPM idle, VForce reeds, smokes like crazy at idle, oil adjustment marks line up at idle and full throttle, runs great, 10mpg during check, lots of power no bogging at all. Has used the same massive amounts of oil since bought but this is first formal consumption check. Shouldn't this sled be closer to 50:1? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
50/1 is the normal ratio. I run closer to 70/1 using premium synthetic oil.
If you're not familiar, the oil pump is below the carbs, has an adjustment point at the base of the cable and reference marks on the arm and pump housing. With the sled off (obviously) secure the throttle flipper in the wide open position (a strong elastic works here) and verify the position of the reference mark on the pump arm in relation to the WOT reference mark on the pump housing. To lean the oil mixture adjust at the cable end to drop the arm ref. mark before the housing ref. and monitor your consumption again.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Appreciate the help. Taking it slow and easy on the adjustment and checking it a bit at a time.

Mark

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
50:1 on the money after several runs. She is much more sensitive to idle adjustments now but running great. Thanks. The hatch marks on my oil adjustment are off. When it was lined up properly ratio was 33:1. RPM's were good. Backed off ~3/16 on adjustment at WOT, and is a perfect 50:1 with same RPM's. Read a post on the FCat forum that said the adjustment marks lining up is more important than ratio. That does not add up to me. Wouldn't the ratio be more important as this engine is designed for a certain gas:eek:il ratio?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn sled is super tempermental after adjusting oil to 50:1. Have had to adjust carbs many times now. Having trouble getting it to idle down after high revs and getting a consistent idle. May have to fatten up the oil to 40:1. Fouled a set of plugs while adjusting had some backfiring and some cut outs from high revs to low. Seems okay now but will keep tabs on plugs. Idles down after 5-10sec, idles well but still the very occasional bog, RPMS good.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If your carbs have them, try turning out the air screws slightly. This will richen the idle circuit and stablize your idle. Then adjust the idle screw for your desired idle rpm. I'm not sure the '00 ZL500 is the same but the settings for an '02 ZR500 with TM-38 flatsides is Air Screws 1.5 turns out and Fuel Screws 2.0 turns. Both from the closed position.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reset the oil at 41- 44:1 and the sled seems very happy, no bogging, no hesitation. I may turn it down just a bit more and try it out but only after the temps go back up. Below zero I like to run it a bit on the rich side. Pilot air screws at 1.5 turns out and sounded better, Thanks Muskoka800.

B

·
0 Posts
So what is your procedure for determining/calculating oil ratios?? My oil pump has 2 marks to allign. Are you using a pipette to measure how much oil you use,and measure the fuel consumption? I am under the impression that the oil mixture is quite variable based on the throttle position, so the measurements would be based on trail riding, racing, or idling? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Procedure involves riding local trails and zeroing out odometer and measuring gas and oil consumption at each fillup. Strictly trail riding which is 99.9% of what I do. Pump is extremely sensitive to adustment. Just adjust slightly if you plan to do this. One complete turn of the adjustment lock nuts sent me from 33:1 to 50:1. Just glad I did not get crazy with the adjusting. Turned nuts back 1/2 turn to get to alignment at 40:1.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What is the stock ratio supposed to be? My ZL 600 efi uses a lot of oil. I get black spooge dripping out of the vent hose for the power valves overnight. That to me would indicate high oil consumption. And the pump is set to factory specs.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe these engines are designed to run at 50:1 but my sled did not like that ratio at all, was tempermental (carb adj's), backfired, bogged, etc...Got her running okay but still had an occasional backfire and bog. At ~40:1 she is happy. Originally, 33:1 I had to put her on a serious diet!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Where did the tab on the pump actuator arm end up in relation to the little stop post on the pump casting when at full throttle? Mine goes right to the post. My gas mileage is lousy too.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My hatch mark on the pump actuator arm ended up 2mm above the hatch mark on the pump casting at WOT. Good Luck be careful and be willing to risk your engine with resetting this! Would strongly recommend Synthetic oil for the readjustment period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts