Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know yamaha says oil changes are every 2500( i think) but this seems high, i,m thinking 800 miles, what do you guys think,and whats working for you.. :buttrock:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I changed the oil & filter after the first 500 miles, and then at the end of the riding season each year.

If you put a lot of miles on, may want to do it more often, but with using synthetic blend or full synthetic oil, I see no problem going to 2k-2500 miles but recommend changing it at the end of the riding season, and then you're all ready for the following winter. (Good to have new oil in the engine while being stored)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Once a season, for summer lay up here. [ Usually 2500 + or - miles except in a bad winter]

Sleds run in very clean conditions thats why the oil filter can stay in for so long.

No need to do it more than Yammie suggests. Manufacturer's are usually conservative.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i know yamaha says oil changes are every 2500( i think) but this seems high, i,m thinking 800 miles, what do you guys think,and whats working for you.. :buttrock:[/b]
I've never seen a reason to second guess a vehicle mfgr on maintenance intervals. They're on the hook for a lot of money in warranty claims.

Anyway, 2500 miles is nothing with today's oils. And as to synthetic...only reason to use it is low-temp lubricity (easier starting). It's shear stability, which is what they base their "extended change interval" claims is only a little better than conventional oils using Group II base stocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts