Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my oil rod adjustment per instructions and went out yesterday for about 80 miles. The temp was 10F when I left an -20F when I got home. It was smoking like crazy the whole day and seemed to get worse as the day went on. Every time I stopped I would be engulfed in smoke. After stopping for dinner I went outside and it took about 4 pulls to start and it never took more than 2 before, then on the way home it would bog at lower rpm's then lurch hard forward when the rpm's got to mid/upper range. Power was great at WOT. I haven't looked at the plugs yet. ANy ideas - maybe APV's sticking? - back off the oil mixture?
BTW Iwas running @ 74:1 before adjusting.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
mine is doing somewhat of the same thing, except it doesn't start any harder, but it does load up at low to mid throttle, and then clears back up with some full throttle, i put the oil pump linkange to full short, but i think i may need to back it off also, haven't checked the ration yet, but i'm pretty sure it's rich!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
should be other way around, ethanol mode selects 3% more fuel

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just had the dealer adjust the oil pump last friday... rode all weekend in zero degree weather I did seem to loose alittle top end and it did sputter a few times on take off!?!?! pistons look like new yet! still burning amsoil too. PS... alot more smoke too! <_<

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday on the lake I couldn't hit 90mph! Before I adjusted the oil rod 100 was there in a lot less distance. None of my buddies want to ride behind me because of the smoke (before they didn't have a choice!) I also noticed the same thing as CCCsniper, bogs on deceleration.
When I adjusted the rod it bottomed after 3 turns. I think I'll go back at least 2 turns. I have to hit the gas station today and see what my ratio has been since the change. :blink:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I set the rod at 3 turrns out from th bottom and it seems like its back to normal. I must have been at 50:1 bottomed out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Firecat_freak@Feb 16 2003, 01:18 PM
If you're adding more fuel, the oil mixture will be leaner and will burn cleaner. Therefore less smoke in ethanol mode. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King+Feb 18 2003, 09:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Firecat_freak
@Feb 16 2003, 01:18 PM
If you're adding more fuel, the oil mixture will be leaner and will burn cleaner. Therefore less smoke in ethanol mode. ;)[/b]
Hmmmm... let's take a look at that.

Say you are running 50:1 with the switch in the 'regular' mode. Going to the 'ethanol' mode adds 3% more gas. 3% of 50 (the gasoline portion of the ratio) equals 1.5, so the result from changing from regular to ethanol changes your ratio from 50:1 to 51.5:1

Meanwhile your fuel to air mixture is 3% higher.

Think that will make it smoke less ;) :lol:

·
Registered
721 Posts
HOW COME NO ONE IS SETTING THIER OIL PUMPS TO THE LINE WHEN HELD W.O.T.!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
My oil pump rod took 6 turns and went from a ratio of 72 to1 to 54.8 to1. I will probably change the rod setting until I get it to 60 to1. BTW at 72 to 1 my pistons were scuffed and the rings were shot at 1600+ miles. Got it back last week with new pistons and rings and it brought the motor back to life.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
1500 miles on mine and a consistent 64:1 ratio. i am still taking it to the dealership for updates friday, but i hope it doesnt make it too rich. i am goin to have them look at my pistons and stuff but my compression seems to be good and still has great power.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did the rod update myself. Could have gone 3 turns but only went two. I swear to GOD there was no change in oil usage - if anything it could have gone up 1 or 2 points. We'll see more this weekend - my first two rides were only 60 and 84 miles. Sled does seem to be down a bit on power (only would do 91 MPH on good hard pack _ but that was the first top end run I did with studs. 153 studs slow you down that much??? :huh: ). Pistons show no scuff marks at all but do show some blow by. Can you buy just rings?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts