Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was checking the chain case oil level, some pieces of metal came out on the magnet of the dipstick.

They are all flat and appeared to have come from the same source.

Any recommendations as to what I should do? Any idea what this might be from?

Thanks.

[attachment=414054:p1120822.JPG]

[attachment=414055:p1120824.JPG]

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't know but I'd be opening it up to see what it is.[/b]
Yep. When you do open the chaincase and find out that you may need new gears and a chain, EPI made some hardened gears for the Ultra and other models.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah i agree with everyone else open it up see whats up could save you some money finding out the issue right now and its not hard to take that off

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks like chain links to me. When you hit it off the line does it make a loud clunking noise? I would check that chain, better safe than out time and cash lookin for a replacement case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I was checking the chain case oil level, some pieces of metal came out on the magnet of the dipstick.

They are all flat and appeared to have come from the same source.

Any recommendations as to what I should do? Any idea what this might be from?

Thanks.

[attachment=414054:p1120822.JPG]

[attachment=414055:p1120824.JPG][/b]

Doesn't look like chain to me. Looks like parts of a bearing collar

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Doesn't look like chain to me. Looks like parts of a bearing collar[/b]
thats hat i was thinking

looks a hell of a lot like the outer race of a bearing

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input.... I was away riding with a friend and have not had a chance to take it apart yet. I have actually been more concerned with my motor issue, and still need to work on that as well.

I sure wish I had this figured out long ago, instead of during riding season... oh well, chit happens.

But, have no fear, once I figure out the motor and chain case issues, then put an M-10 under it, then tune the clutch.... that thing is going to rock better than ever.... and it rocked pretty damn good before.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To guess, I'd say it's the connection nubs from the 2-part gear that separates for reverse and rejoins to go foreward.

Honestly, I'd get that apart before another chunk ends up someplace you don't want it while travelling at high speed and wrecks the entire chaincase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts