Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heading to west yellowstone for 3 days riding in the beginning of feb. planning one day in park , two days out would like to put together some scenic long rides at least 200 miles per day any suggestions . guide necessary out of park? are trails marked well? maps available? I can get around fine with a map but sometimes here in the northeast things arent marked correctly i want to be able to find stuf like two top etc. are trails wide and fast or twisty turny?

·
Registered
498 Posts
heading to west yellowstone for 3 days riding in the beginning of feb. planning one day in park , two days out would like to put together some scenic long rides at least 200 miles per day any suggestions . guide necessary out of park? are trails marked well? maps available? I can get around fine with a map but sometimes here in the northeast things arent marked correctly i want to be able to find stuf like two top etc. are trails wide and fast or twisty turny?[/b]

How is it going? I have ridden in west yellowstone 4 times. Maps are good and trails are well marked. Ride in any direction is good. There are a couple of good loops. You can go towards I think it is called Black Canyon...it is where all of the trees burnt down with the firers 15-20 years ago. Run towards mesa falls. Good pictures there. On the way is the hot springs. I always saw a moose in the water there. Lyons head and two top are fun mountain loops. If you are going to plAY off the trail you might want to bring a GPS. it can get confusing when you get off the trail for a while

·
Registered
119 Posts
GPS is a good idea there. We also all carry GMRS radios. Particularly useful to us has been Garmin Rino's, which are GMRS radios with GPS that marks the location of each person when they transmit. Radio's alone are a little problematic because if you're off-trail, it can be very hard to describe to the others exactly where you are stuck.

West Yellowstone is a good mix of trails and off-trail play areas, hill climbing, etc. The grooming is usually fairly good - but it's useful to get a daily grooming report. Most of the hotels get that faxed from the Chamber of Commerce daily. You'll need to get a sled permit/stickers for both Idaho and Montana.

Riding the trail systems in Idaho and Montana around West Yellowstone has nothing to do with riding in the park. Yellowstone Park is worth seeing once. Not sure what the rules are this year (AFAIK, the NPS Winter Use Plan is still in effect), but as of 2007 (last year), to go into the park, you must rent a sled using BAT, and most have governers that prevent going faster than 40 mph (these sleds are dogs), which isn't a big deal since that's the speed limit in the park and every single ranger has a radar gun (it seems). You also can only have groups of 10 sleds and you have to go with a certified guide. Absolutely no off-trail riding in the parkPermits are required, and these need to be obtained in advance because they only allow 720 sleds per day in the park, and only a certain (smaller) number from each entrance. Most of the snowmobile rental places can provide you with guide, snowmobile and permits. It's expensive when you add up permits, sled rental, guide (and tip) about $300 for a day trip.

In the park, watch your speed, obey all stop signs scrupulously, single file ONLY, be careful where you park. Most of the park rangers there are dickheads and will write you an expensive ticket for any infraction. Outside the park, there are no sled restrictions, nor a need for guides. Speed limit is 50 mph and cops with radar guns on the 4 or 5 trails out of West Yellowstone are common within 4 or 5 miles of town, and most frequently seen in the mornings and evenings. Jet and clutch your sled for about 8000 ft.

I have several photos from various trips out there over the years HERE and HERE.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have fun! Wish I could go........ maybe next year if it is still open. :coffee-n-news:

·
Registered
407 Posts
<span style="color:#808080">WEST YELLOWSTONE IS THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITOL OF THE WORLD due to the extensive trail systems and the proximity to Yellowstone National Park. Enjoy Yellowstone Park and hundreds of miles of groomed snowmobile trails in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. You will experience a "winter wonderland" of unparalleled beauty. Yellowstone and the surrounding area are comprised of many geologic and geothermal wonders such as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Old Faithful. In addition, there is a wide variety of wildlife including Bald Eagles, Bison, Wolves, Elk, Swans, and much more. You will see these animals and other natural wonders up close when riding our snowmobiles into and around Yellowstone Park.

The whole deal is unreal, place to stay try Relaxation Station, Rent a sled from Two Tops Rental ask for David the owner they will treat you right. The entire area is a snowmobile dream come true. The park is a must we were there the last year you could ride without a guide......priceless. My wife and I had the time of our life. Be careful off trail if you do not know how to ride deep powder stay on trail. Make sure you go to the top of two tops mnt. what a rush. Have fun and take lot's of pic's....ENJOY....bt.</span>

·
Registered
407 Posts
A few pic's to get you going.....bt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
heading to west yellowstone for 3 days riding in the beginning of feb. planning one day in park , two days out would like to put together some scenic long rides at least 200 miles per day any suggestions . guide necessary out of park? are trails marked well? maps available? I can get around fine with a map but sometimes here in the northeast things arent marked correctly i want to be able to find stuf like two top etc. are trails wide and fast or twisty turny?[/b]
We rode there last year, very nice , SNOW SNOW.... We spent two days in the park and then we rode one day with a guide outside the park for deep powder.. WOW ! That's worth every penny.
Then we rode 2 days on our own , the trail are groomed to a "T" .. We stayed at the Holiday Inn the rooms are nice, the food at the restaurant was very good.. Snowmobile rental was right at the Hotel so we did have to very far to pick up our sled in the morning..

HAVE FUN...

·
Registered
697 Posts
yes dont ride in park more than 1 day there is a speed limit best thing about yellowstone is they dont salt or sand in town and its easy to get around w/ sleds we stayed at stagecoach and rented from westgate station very happy w/ both that that was in 1993 sure things have changed.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The trails outside Yellowstone are fairly well marked and the maps are easy to follow. Idaho was a blast to ride. Two Top and Lion's Head are a must see for views and elevation.

BT PRO X 800-Is the place you refer to as Relaxation Station different than Hibernation Station? Wife and I stayed there. Log cabins with Whirlpool Tubs and fierplaces- just awesome! A little pricey but well worth it.

By the way, I read in this months issue of Snow Tech, that Yellowstone Park is limiting sleds to 540 a day and they must be guided. The sled must be approved by the Park Service so if you rent make sure you get one thats legal in the Park.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The trails outside Yellowstone are fairly well marked and the maps are easy to follow. Idaho was a blast to ride. Two Top and Lion's Head are a must see for views and elevation.

BT PRO X 800-Is the place you refer to as Relaxation Station different than Hibernation Station? Wife and I stayed there. Log cabins with Whirlpool Tubs and fierplaces- just awesome! A little pricey but well worth it.

By the way, I read in this months issue of Snow Tech, that Yellowstone Park is limiting sleds to 540 a day and they must be guided. The sled must be approved by the Park Service so if you rent make sure you get one thats legal in the Park.[/b]

Relaxation Station different than Hibernation Station? No one in the same, late night..bt.</span>

·
Registered
54 Posts
We rode there last year. We did all our riding out of Jackson Hole Wyoming. The yellowstone park is a must. The wildlife and old faithful are just some of the good things to see. The sleds are real dogs. We got a real good guide. Ask for a small group ride you will have to pay more but you can cover a lot more ground and see a lot. If you get in a group with a lot of tourist you will be sorry (25 mph all day) Our guide was wide open on the handle bar all day he new where the rangers set to nail you for speeding. It was great. Then we headed for Togtee pass with a guide that new the area real well. We went for the deep powder riding and boonedocking (riding F1 148 inch tracks I think) he took us into basin that saw no sleds It is a once in a lifetime thing. All the trails where smoth as a table the long tracks are not has nice for trail riding. Get out and enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
One thing I need to mention. When you leave or return ( by snowmobile) to the Town of West Yellowstone, be sure to be at or under the speed limit. They have a little radar spot on the smoothest, staightest section of trail just outside of town.

One more thing- Eat at Eno's :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I went 6 years ago. We stayed and rented at 3 bear lodge. We all got speeding tickets in the park. The park is nice for 1 day but the most fun is out of the park. Lots of places to jump and climb. Two top mountain is a blast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts