Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here or if anyone knows somebody with puppies available. Looking for a medium sized family dog. Wife would prefer a pure breed goldie or yellow lab. I'm more open to any medium dog (especially love springers, but maybe too energetic for family??) or even a mutt. Don't want to break the bank (not looking for a show dog.....wouldn't mind an upland bird dog though) but willing to pay decent money for good dog.

No rotties, dobermans, german shephards, pitbulls, greyhounds, beagles or toy dogs etc. No bashing....not that I don't think any of these can't be good dogs, just not what we prefer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a lab or lab X , makes agreat family dog, always in a good mood , fun dogs to have around[/b]
Hey Steve, how goes it?

Your right they make great pets, I had a black lab x growing up. Awesome dog, smart as can be, energetic, and super healthy. I'm afraid to go with a pure lab, don't want to have to put money into medical issues later in life.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Hey Steve, how goes it?

Your right they make great pets, I had a black lab x growing up. Awesome dog, smart as can be, energetic, and super healthy. I'm afraid to go with a pure lab, don't want to have to put money into medical issues later in life.[/b]
Doing good here , just waiting for snow. I have a lab/rottie x looks just like a lab only he,s 103 lbs goofy energetic with an awesome personality. 6 yrs old , still acts like a puppy

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked your local dog pound or vet's office ?
Rob .....[/b]
Just came to the decision to do this last night, so haven't search much yet. Looked at a few pounds online this morning....doesn't seem to be much around. Found a couple chow/spitz mix pups at cocheco valley in Dover, but not much for pups after the holidays I guess.

Was thinking of checking with my vet, good idea.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try looking here:http://www.petfinder.com/
Save a shelter dog's life and you do not have to deal with puppy issues.[/b]
I hear where your coming from man. Unfortunatley I hate to be greedy, but really want a pup. Have a 6 yr old boy and more importantly a 16 month old girl that I kinda want a pup to grow up with rather then guess at how a dog was raised with young kids.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi
I have two samoyeds .They are excellent family dogs and they love kids.Very freindly and very good tempered.Medium size the male is about 68 lbs and the female about 62lbs.And the great thing about them is they only shed twice a year.Let me know if you are interested I can PM you the name of the breeder we got them from in Maine.She usually has a litter around this time of year.
Yamahoo :beerchug: [attachment=279017:Copy__2_...100_0377.JPG]

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
I have two samoyeds .They are excellent family dogs and they love kids.Very freindly and very good tempered.Medium size the male is about 68 lbs and the female about 62lbs.And the great thing about them is they only shed twice a year.Let me know if you are interested I can PM you the name of the breeder we got them from in Maine.She usually has a litter around this time of year.
Yamahoo :beerchug: [attachment=279017:Copy__2_...100_0377.JPG][/b]
Beautiful dogs man. :div20: Sure shoot me a pm with the details!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm afraid to go with a pure lab, don't want to have to put money into medical issues later in life.[/b]

I'm in the market for a new Lab Pup also - Probably spring for training reasons. Have had 2 labs & Shepards before that. Have an 8 yo Choc lab. Never any problems but all were researched (reputable breeders with certs for hips eyes etc). Did this to avoid later medical problems. Cost up front was worth it.

Breeders that scrutinize potential owners the most typically are worth checking out. I can voche for Davikas Kennel in your area and MineFalls in Nashua -------Good link if you have not seen it---------- www.puppysites.com/breeder_nh.shtml

Good luck :div20:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Stratham SPCA. You can get on the list or at least you could several years ago. I have a lab shepard cross I got 10 years ago there as a pup whose awesome with the kids. My wife is starting to think about new dogs and wants a Basset Hound but I think we'll go to the pound again and get a mutt.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in the market for a new Lab Pup also - Probably spring for training reasons. Have had 2 labs & Shepards before that. Have an 8 yo Choc lab. Never any problems but all were researched (reputable breeders with certs for hips eyes etc). Did this to avoid later medical problems. Cost up front was worth it.

Breeders that scrutinize potential owners the most typically are worth checking out. I can voche for Davikas Kennel in your area and MineFalls in Nashua -------Good link if you have not seen it---------- www.puppysites.com/breeder_nh.shtml

Good luck :div20:[/b]
Ever hear of Chesnuts Labs in Raymond, NH??? My wife emailed her last night and she got back to her this morning. They have 2 female yellow labs left I guess.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ever hear of Chesnuts Labs in Raymond, NH??? My wife emailed her last night and she got back to her this morning. They have 2 female yellow labs left I guess.[/b]
I did see the web site with the new litter all yellow ------- I was going to say something in my last post but I don't know them. I looked at their Blood line -- Seems very good.

Need Pics of your choice.....

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did see the web site with the new litter all yellow ------- I was going to say something in my last post but I don't know them. I looked at their Blood line -- Seems very good.

Need Pics of your choice.....[/b]
Hopefully we are going to arange to look at them in next few days. I could send you some pics. Also have a lead from stock1 on a couple dogs.

G

·
Not sure of your experience with picking a pup, so please take this as a helpful suggestion. do a google search on "picking a good puppy"

A young pup will suggest alot about its future demeanor by the way it reacts physically to a few basic activities.

One for example is to roll the pup onto its back and whatch it's behavior. a dog that goes limp right away is very submissive and may not be the dog for you. A dog that struggles and bites and does not give up dominance to you may be more difficult to train.

it really is a very interesting topic. at least to me. Read up on and you might agree. I have a friend who has raised and trained several family/hunting dogs. He loves to take the healthy runt of the litter. Everyone has an opinion on this topic. Hard to go wrong with the breed you are interested in assuming that they are certified for hips, eyes, I don't remember if there is anything else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts