Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual tells me to use regular grade gas which I think is 87 octane. Any benefits to use a higher octane gas? Will the higher octane burn hotter or cooler and what is better for the engine?

·
Registered
978 Posts
higher the octane the cooler it burns...the cooler ur engine is the more power it can produce, with the least damage... altho i did here that some peoples sleds have been running best on midgrade....

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
the cooler ur engine is the more power it can produce[/b]
The key words here are CAN PRODUCE. If you have a stock sled that is designed to run on 87 octane you will NOT gain power by using 92 octane. That's the reason race sleds use advanced timing and increased compression. Race fuel runs cooler so you can run higher compression and still be safe. If you do run 92 octane in your firecat you will probably not notice a difference in power. If you run 110 race fuel you probably will notice a DECREASE IN POWER. It will also be tough to start cold. Horsepower = heat and if you run cooler fuel you lose heat. So the answer is no you will not gain power by increasing octane unless you do the proper mods. You may gain some safety, but do you really the factory has the motors tuned so the recommended octane isn't safe???

Cat S.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Well said. About the only thing premium fuel in your regular fuel sled will do is make your wallet thinner quicker. Premium is not "better" fuel than regular and if you fill up at country gas stations the regular is probably fresher.

·
Registered
354 Posts
right, you may actually gain a teeny bit of power from 87, but 93 will definitly make ur engine happy, and it will live longer, kinda like sex for old people.

·
Registered
978 Posts
we used to run 50:50 94, 110 octane mix, u cant tell the difference between that and midgrade-highgrade gas... regular and my sled won't run good

cms- with pipes reeds and chip (obviously efi) plus other non intake/exaust mods u can definatly feel the difference...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
a while back in 98 when the first wave of zr,s and zl,s were hitting the trails i was one who jumped on the old first year band wagon and bought the zl-500 carb. well they found that the midrange would spike up the temps. in the pipe so cat had a service bullitin to use hightest and raise needles and also colder plugs which made this very fast sledd a slug it was rich from the get go anyways i went back to stock needle setting and dropped jet size by 2 much better all the way around also stayed with hightest 2500 miles later still running (great) but you had to watch the temps if temps were too cold watch out my 02 is still running stock jetting and i burn midgrade 87 plugs are dark but safe do notice when sledd sits out over night and gets damp it developes moisture which i noticed hightest doesnot so it seems that there are times to use 87 and also hightest depending what youre application is and sledd type

1 - 8 of 8 Posts