Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this in it's own thread...

Arctic Cat calls for 87 Octane in the F1000. At what point do you need to raise the octane level to mid or preimum fuel? After a Y-Pipe, air-intake, single-pipe, and/or Boondocker, etc.? I thought that the only reason to increase the octane level was to keep the engine from pre-igniting, which is caused by a higher compression ratio or advanced valve timing (in a 4-stroke), and therefore no need to use premium fuel in an engine that was designed for regular, regardless of the aftermarket parts. Maybe trail porting could use higher octane.

The lower the octane the higher the performance (faster burn), so I'd rather stick with the lowest octane that is safe... not to mention it's less money.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
This has been discussed, at length before. I theory, you are correct that just running leaner should have nothing to do with octane requirement. Therefore, no additional octane should be required for mods that only increase airflow. These are, however, two stroke snowmobile engines we are talking about. I personaly run the highest octane available, even with stock machines. There is no significant reduction in power, and it is good insurance. I will continue to recommend premium fuel for any snowmobile, regardless of mods.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just look at it this was.

Any mod that give you more power is going to give you more cylinder heat.

93 gas burns slower thus less heat.

Less heat means less chance of deto your piston etc.

Cover
Your
Ass

Part of the cost of going faster. :div20:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I did a search and didn't see any octane posts in the F7 Forum, maybe I should have tried HCS overall, but I really wanted to know about the F1000 specifically.

I tried putting in premium fuel in my sportbike one time after adding some mods, and noticed a significant reduction in power. Switched back to regular and could really feel the difference. So, if it's not required it seems weird to pay more for gas, so you can go slower... especially after spending a bunch of $ on aftermarket accessories.

Maybe I'll play it half-safe & run mid-grade... that way I'll be half-fast (half-assed) too.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm running w/ a Boondocker, so the aftermarket parts should not make the sled run leaner after I add more fuel.[/b]
no offense but your putting probably $1000 or so into the engine. boondocker ,y pipe etc. then your going to cheat on 15-20 cents a gallon :dunno: if ya got the money to mod a couple of$ a fillup shouldnt break ya. not to mention $9000+ for the sled. i would be runnin premium.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Sorry, I did a search and didn't see any octane posts in the F7 Forum, maybe I should have tried HCS overall, but I really wanted to know about the F1000 specifically.

I tried putting in premium fuel in my sportbike one time after adding some mods, and noticed a significant reduction in power. Switched back to regular and could really feel the difference. So, if it's not required it seems weird to pay more for gas, so you can go slower... especially after spending a bunch of $ on aftermarket accessories.

Maybe I'll play it half-safe & run mid-grade... that way I'll be half-fast (half-assed) too.[/b]

Like Hallsays,,,these are 2 strokes ...not 4...

Strange crap happen to a smoker under duress..93 all the time..and always a dollup of premium ISO type de-icer. Cheap Ins for a $$$ sled.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no offense but your putting probably $1000 or so into the engine. boondocker ,y pipe etc. then your going to cheat on 15-20 cents a gallon :dunno: if ya got the money to mod a couple of$ a fillup shouldnt break ya. not to mention $9000+ for the sled. i would be runnin premium.[/b]
I wish that I only had to pay $9,000 for the sled, more like $12k. The price of gas isn't the issue; I shouldn't have even brought it up. I reprogrammed my pick-up truck, and now use premium in it even though I rarely take advantage of the extra horsepower because they said that it now requires it because of the advanced valve timing.

My question was why would you want to use a high octane gas & reduce the horsepower that you just paid to increase by putting aftermarket part on?

I guess the consensus is that it's required in order to CYA... just in case. I'm with you guys and don't want to chance anything just for a loss of ~2HP, so I'll probably run premium too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.