Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what you all use for "GOOD" octane boosters when the octane is to low at the pump or you suspect poor quality fuel. What's the best bang for the buck? Thanks in advance :beerchug:

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Jack Daniels! :drunk:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :banana:

·
Registered
223 Posts
never had carried octaine. iso is a good thing when you come across bad gas. i live and die by it.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by crazy_cat@Aug 31 2005, 03:16 AM
never had carried octaine. iso is a good thing when you come across bad gas. i live and die by it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854493
[/quote]

I was told to "NEVER " put in Iso...No alcohol should ever be used, especially with the F8 kit. Just what I was told. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I agree with ditchdocker. Octane boost is a waste of money. Just try and get good gas all the time. I had to put 87 octane in my car (10 to 1 compression) just to get home one time. Stopped at an auto parts store to get the best octane boost they had and used twice the recommended amount..It still sparked knocked like it did without any booster in it. Drained as much out of the tank and put it in my tractor. Refilled the old Trans Am with 93 octane and no problems since....If anyone knows of a brand that works, let me know. .....tigger

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
You could go to the paint store and get Toluene. It is used as a solvent / thinner as well as an octane booster. It will probably be less expensive than the magic snake oil in the auto parts store. :dunno:

·
Vendor
334 Posts
I always try to buy good gas. Getting gas at a station that has a fair amount of business so you know the fuel turnover is good. This will usually insure "fresh" fuel.
However, we are talking about snowmobiles...machines made to carry you away from some civilization. I have found my self buying gas from the friendly bar owner who has his place off the trail and a ways away from any town. That gas is usally kept in an OLD underground tank or one of those gravity tanks sitting up on a rack with the hose hanging down...you know the one that heats up in the sun and then cools off making condensation inside the metal tank....adding a touch of water to the gas.
Depending on your type of riding, it might be a good thing to have a fuel additive along for those instances that you find yourself purchasing "marginal" fuel.
6 to 7 bucks for a pint of something might save you a bigger headache later.

One piece of advice, and I know it has been talked about before is, purchase fuel additives that are in a metal can, not a plastic container. Metal holds the chemical contents better and longer than plastic. Same goes for storing gasoline.

Rick
:div20:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts