Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any difference if I add octane boost to my gas during a race?? Or will it noty have any effect unless I have the proper heads and stuff? Or even put race gas (110 octane) in for the race, will there be a difference or and performance gains?
Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
The higher the octane you go the faster it burns,in which also makes your engine run a little cooler since you wont have a jug full of fuel that takes a little longer to burn completely- in turn a cooler engine. Also you will get more power with higher octane since it burns complete and not wasteing it thru the exhaust. Hope that answers your ?.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is actually incorrect. Higher octane does not give you more power. It does make you engine run cooler only because it burns slower because a stock engine designed to run on 87 doesn't have the compression or advanced timing curve to burn the fuel fast enough. In fact, you are losing power by running higher octane, unless of course you have raised the compression, which then it isn't stock. The only reason you need the higher octane then, is to resist pre-detonation.

Therefore, DON'T RUN HIGHER OCTANE!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Was told with all my EFI's specifically not to burn high octane or boost additive. computer is smart but not smart enuff to figure octane rating. gls say run 87-89 unless u run long duration WOT more than a couple miles. BUT PLEASE RESEARCH FOR YOUR SELF before you deviate from the manual.

·
Registered
141 Posts
dgiles is exactly right. Higher octane will only help if you change the compression of the heads. High octane will help on the top end but if your engine isn't set up for it it could be the last run. the lower the octane the better low end power.

speedmerchant

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by dgiles@Feb 17 2003, 10:59 PM
That is actually incorrect. Higher octane does not give you more power. It does make you engine run cooler only because it burns slower because a stock engine designed to run on 87 doesn't have the compression or advanced timing curve to burn the fuel fast enough. In fact, you are losing power by running higher octane, unless of course you have raised the compression, which then it isn't stock. The only reason you need the higher octane then, is to resist pre-detonation.

Therefore, DON'T RUN HIGHER OCTANE!
Sorry, I always get that mixed up- Higher=slower burn and Lower= hotter burn. But it will tend to add a little more power at WOT not really any where else tho. So small that you really wont be able to tell except on a dyno. Also another little tid bit The warmer the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane you should run, the drier the air the higher octane should be ran and the higher the altitude the lower the octane should be ran. You wont lose any power running a higher octane, just spending more on something that most of the time you really dont need!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts