Hardcore Sledder banner

O rings for Heads

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  nitrousman 
#1 ·
I got a 99 srx 700 and I am putting a piston in it. One O ring looks a little streached. They wont sell me just one. And they want $150 for the whole gasket kit. Could I just use a normal O ring in there. Or something else?

#2 ·
if you go to a dealer they will sell you some. you can buy any part from a dealer by it self. hardware stores have kits with all diff. shapes and sizes. try a rubberband. :smilielol:

THINK SNOW

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :burp:

#3 ·
sometimes putting them in the freezer is enought to get them to contract so they fit otherwise you can use a little bit of grease to hold the O-ring in place. Just put a little bit of grease on the bottom of the O-ring and place it into the grove on the cylinder.

#4 ·
sometimes putting them in the freezer is enought to get them to contract so they fit otherwise you can use a little bit of grease to hold the O-ring in place. Just put a little bit of grease on the bottom of the O-ring and place it into the grove on the cylinder.[/b]
ditto on the freezer unless they get stretched too much.

#5 ·
Cool Thanks for the help. We have one of the bigger parts distrubitors for canada in our town. But they dont like splittin up gasket sets or something. And the nearest yamaha dealer in about a hour and a half away.

I went out and got a rubber O ring. Looks to be the same size and thickness. But it isnt orange??. I cant see it not working. But im gonna try that freezer trick on the old one first.

Thanks for the tips

#7 ·
its orange cuz its a high temp oring you cant use a hardware store one .What size is it/ i raced yamaha yzs for a long time and i have a pile of new ones in a drawer i have been meaning to clean out if you send me the size ill send you any that i have , id like to see them used there new and it would be a shame to throw them out when someone could use them, im sure i could send them in and envelope ill even give you the stamp

#10 ·
I believe the o rings used are a viton material. Regular o rings are made of a different material.[/b]
Your on the money! Your stock orings are viton (high temp) regular orings (typically black) are buna rubber (NOT high temp). Viton does not have the same "memory characteristics" as buna, therefore they don't return to original size as fast, freezer is a great idea. The buna would work for a little while then become compression set with the heat and leak. Good luck!

#11 ·
Also guys, there are two types of buna o-rings: Buna-S is a styrene based rubber that does not resist oil and gas. Buna-N is a nytrile based rubber that does resist oil and gas. I seen it more than once a guy use a cheap buna-S o-ring from the hardware store in a automotive application and have it leak shortly after.

#12 ·
its orange cuz its a high temp oring you cant use a hardware store one .What size is it/ i raced yamaha yzs for a long time and i have a pile of new ones in a drawer i have been meaning to clean out if you send me the size ill send you any that i have , id like to see them used there new and it would be a shame to throw them out when someone could use them, im sure i could send them in and envelope ill even give you the stamp[/b]

Thanks for the offer Pete. Im not sure of the size of the cylinder. I have the sled outta town at the moment. I think that the old one will work if I freeze it. It wasnt streached out that much.

#13 ·
Go and buy a viton o-ring from your local rubber/seal supplier. They only make standard sizes, so you should have no problem matching one up. They are only a few $$ per piece. Viton can be black or brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.