Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another question that's been beat to death....some kind of baseline numbers to start with boondockers

mods

06 xf 700 BB 800
rkt head/port for 87 gas
speedwerx single pipe
stock can and stock y pipe
egt gauge
sea elevation

talked to speedwerx and they won't give me any starting #'s since engine mod not theirs

baseline on kelsey's site is basically add 3 to hi on 7800 and 8100

the graph function on the digatron software shows hi temp of 1050 from about 5500 t0 6700 or so after a pull (decelerate). not sure if there is a bit of a lag time from rpm reading and temp reading.

not able to do a long pull with constant r's yet (lousy winter around here) or a long run at any rpm, basically a short pull in the field behind the house.

plugs look ok. still on first tank of gas from engine build so haven't really cracked throttle yet.

have noticed a bit of bog around that 5500 range when i begin pull but disappears immediately. to lean at this spot?

any help with a baseline to start with appreciated.

read somewhere that someone said they put 10's at every setting and then tuned from there using the graph function with the digatron software. using the zoom feature with the software you can kinda get a feel for when you are at the lo mid hi range on how the rpm graphs.

thanx.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello I got a 800 big bore (speedwerx) with a single speedwerx pipe on it etc. I've got #'s to go with it for my boondocker but they are right you need to say whose kit it is because very manufacturer does different porting etc. thus leading to different #'s. If you tell me whose kit it is i can probably point you in the right direction for BD #'s.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello I got a 800 big bore (speedwerx) with a single speedwerx pipe on it etc. I've got #'s to go with it for my boondocker but they are right you need to say whose kit it is because very manufacturer does different porting etc. thus leading to different #'s. If you tell me whose kit it is i can probably point you in the right direction for BD #'s.[/b]
RKT kit (with head) for 87 gas
ported by MPM, (brian and kelsey work together)
speedwerx 925 single pipe
stock can/y pipe
sea elevation

thanx for help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
stock can/y pipe
sea elevation
thanx for help.[/b]
rkt says that with this kit a boondocker box is not necessary. if you are running the sw pipe and want to be safe add a little through out power band or just a small amount up top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
stock can/y pipe
sea elevation
thanx for help.[/b]
I too am running that exhaust combo with v-force threes. Here are my numbers but be aware that they may be different for what you need because of your porting etc.
3000 0/0/0
5000 0/0/9
6700 20/5/5
7800 0/7/14

If you go to D&D's website they post their #'s for their 800 bigbore with single and twin pipes to compare they are different from speedwerx's #'s as well so don't know which way ya wanna go with it. Speedwerx says these #'s are exactly what they ran on my kit when testing at sea level. Hope that helps and be carful not to let it go BOOM. Good luck sorry can't be more help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rkt says that with this kit a boondocker box is not necessary. if you are running the sw pipe and want to be safe add a little through out power band or just a small amount up top.[/b]
yes, kelsey does say on his website you can run w/o bd box with stock exhaust. i'm going to try that just to see if any difference in how sled runs. with the SW single i do have a slight bog around 5500 but disappears immediately.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too am running that exhaust combo with v-force threes. Here are my numbers but be aware that they may be different for what you need because of your porting etc.
3000 0/0/0
5000 0/0/9
6700 20/5/5
7800 0/7/14

If you go to D&D's website they post their #'s for their 800 bigbore with single and twin pipes to compare they are different from speedwerx's #'s as well so don't know which way ya wanna go with it. Speedwerx says these #'s are exactly what they ran on my kit when testing at sea level. Hope that helps and be carful not to let it go BOOM. Good luck sorry can't be more help.[/b]
interesting lo number @ 6700. are you running egt's?

using the digatron graph function i've noticed that after a pull and letting the sled coast or slight throttle that they ex temps will spike. probably 'cause motor still at rev with little throttle hence very lean.

kelsey's numbers for his kit are

0's everywhere except

7800 0 0 3 1
8100 0 0 3 1

do you have to run 91 gas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
interesting lo number @ 6700. are you running egt's?

using the digatron graph function i've noticed that after a pull and letting the sled coast or slight throttle that they ex temps will spike. probably 'cause motor still at rev with little throttle hence very lean.

kelsey's numbers for his kit are

0's everywhere except

7800 0 0 3 1
8100 0 0 3 1

do you have to run 91 gas?[/b]

Yes i do have to run 91 octane and I've talked to Speedwerx at least three or four times about that high # at 6700 and Jeremy (the owner) tells me every time those are the #'s they were running at 0-3000 ft with the kit and mods I've done to my sled. As for your spikes when letting off I was always told by my racing buddies when I used to drag for them to burp the throttle after a hard pull because of the leaning out after. I dunno just what they told me. Like I said everyone's kits are different thus creating different #'s. The fellow i mentioned before has the a D&D big bore with a speedwerx pipe and his #'s are way off mine, makes ya kinda wonder how much is different between the different manufacturers. Yes I WILL be running egts by this weekend just got em. I haven't put many miles on my sled just because I've been waiting for the egts before I get too throttle happy. Once I get them in maybe we can compare some more??? Speedwerx doesn't even give me a # for the 8100 setting.Good luck

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i do have to run 91 octane and I've talked to Speedwerx at least three or four times about that high # at 6700 and Jeremy (the owner) tells me every time those are the #'s they were running at 0-3000 ft with the kit and mods I've done to my sled. As for your spikes when letting off I was always told by my racing buddies when I used to drag for them to burp the throttle after a hard pull because of the leaning out after. I dunno just what they told me. Like I said everyone's kits are different thus creating different #'s. The fellow i mentioned before has the a D&D big bore with a speedwerx pipe and his #'s are way off mine, makes ya kinda wonder how much is different between the different manufacturers. Yes I WILL be running egts by this weekend just got em. I haven't put many miles on my sled just because I've been waiting for the egts before I get too throttle happy. Once I get them in maybe we can compare some more??? Speedwerx doesn't even give me a # for the 8100 setting.Good luck[/b]
i tried the burp thing after a pull and you can see on the graph function how that affects the temps.

everyone says not to use the egt for tune but what has seemed to work for me is using the capture and accel function of the boondockers coupled with the digatron graph funciton you can make changes that you can see and feel in how the sled runs.

the more i use the BD box the more impressed i am with how it works. the one thing i'm not sure of is how the box reads throttle position for the lo mid hi thing. called boondockers and didn't really get a satisfactory answer. there must be some kind of algorithm that uses duty cycle length vs time on/off to figure that. there is a way thru the advanced menu to use the TPS instead of the duty cycle. entails tapping into the tps wire at the ecu.

i always back everything up with plug read just to make sure. i'm not looking to run on the ragged edge, just to have the sled run strong throughout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts