Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 30 hours have been socked in with fog & overcast. A little misty this morning but escaped any showers yesterday and thus far today. Still plenty of snowpack and with the cold coming in on the heels of this storm very late tonite/tomorrow morning (possible chance of snow tomorrow morning actually!) the snow pack has actually firmed/packed up really well. So with groomers going out tomorrow night (if cold enough, if not then Friday/Friday Night) things are still looking good. BUT remember that ice/lakes - BE CAREFUL! Now bring on the next snowstorm for Monday........keeping our fingers crossed up here.......

Skip

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Less than 2 hours of a very light drizzle before it started to clear up and cool down. Sweet......after this sets & they groom - was sweating bullets for a while there yesterday/this morning........

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Less than 2 hours of a very light drizzle before it started to clear up and cool down. Sweet......after this sets & they groom - was sweating bullets for a while there yesterday/this morning........[/b]
thats good news, I think I am going to head your way from KI this weekend, was hoping there was something to ride on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually just rode a few backcountry miles a short while ago. Snow is firming up well - good news indeed. But like I said - just watch the water on your trip. Will try & give a more complete trail into/out of town update tomorrow or Friday........

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, but how can it be firming up when it's been 40 degrees or higher all day? Doesn't it need to be below freezing to firm up?

Most of the webcams show huge losses of snow. Like these:
http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/camDeta...m_1164389876944

Or the ones at Pittston Farms.

Has Millinocket held up that well?

·
Pebbles
1,778 Posts
This is great news Skip.... we have been waffling back and forth on whether to make the trek.

Sleds are loaded and ready to rock... just have to get through this work thing that gets in the way.

Should be arriving around 8 pm!

see you tomorrow!

Keith M.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey New Maine Rider - no problem on a very brief descrip! At around 3pm today or shortly after the light drizzle passed thru - it cleared a little and started getting chillier. Why? The heavy moist soggy fog/clouds blew out! That started firming things up right away. Then believe it or not - by around 4pm it starts to get dark up here! Especially with a few clouds! That starts to cool things down too. Now from actually living here and seeing what happened yesterday - no rain at all - from watching the weather channel the showers were east & well north of us going across the state from west to east. But did not hit us once. And we were out all day yesterday raking roofs and actually seeing what was melting - the snowpack shrinking (and you actually do notice it - the top stays the same - it shrinks from the ground and just gets less.....). So thats obviously a lot of walking in the snow & seeing/FEELING as you step what the snow is doing! Same thing today but helping the wife clean the cabins for guests checking in tonite. Snow was semi-firm this morning - mid-day soft even with no rain/mist yet - mid-afternoon downright sloppy on the paths - evening firm again & starting to get icy. Pretty simple. Now toss in riding a few miles around up to center of town to break trail - in/out constantly doing things around town & on the grounds - you get a pretty good feel HONESTLY of what the snow pack is doing. No bs here. See someone said it was 62 in Gorham yesterday - ouch! Another big break for us was when it got warm it stayed very very cloudy/socked in - that really really helps keep the sun from melting the snow. Well gotta go for the evening..............regards......

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
OK Skip, thanks. I'm just curious as I have a good buddy that lives 2 streets up from you and I'm getting conflicting reports.

I guess I don't understand the science of snow firming up when it's above freezing. I thought that regardless if it's sunny, cloudy, raining, night or day, if it's above freezing the snow melts and gets soft?

According the weather service the high for Millinocket recorded today was 48, and 24 hour low of 34, so it never got below freezing.

MILLINOCKET 48 34 0.11

Learn something new everyday I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey again New Maine Sledder - just curious here so perhaps should have just pm'd - who or what street? Do they use our trail to get up to Peddlers Hill/Millinocket Spur? Or are they already there in the middle of town? Just wondered. Personally spoke to the groomer today at about 3pm or so - they are going out tomorrow with like over 100 pallets for any wet/soft spots to hopefully knock out for the rest of winter any problem areas getting in/out of town on the Millinocket Spur. They are also grooming tomorrow night if temps below 32 - and right now it is calling for a low of 25 tomorrow night. Thats good news. As for the trails yesterday - broke trail up to the hill - got off by 5 feet (and this is like 11am) and got buried in a 4' drift. Had to dig/lift out - what a headache. So snowpack has taken a small beating last few days - but it could have been a lot lot worse. If I could figure out how to post a pic would gladly show some shots tomorrow of the area.......Regards....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
He told me he is going out with donated pallets and huge rolls of mill fabric/paper to put down on the in town trails so people can still get around over all the water holes.

I guess that is why I was confused when he said they have to lay down all this material to make things even passable and you are saying that snow is fine and firming up.

No need for pictures, I'm going by hearsay and you are right in the middle of things.

If you say the snow conditions are looking good and things are firming up, then they must be.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am sitting at work, looking outside at my trailer hooked up to my truck which will be on its way up to millinocket at 5:01 pm tonight. This is torture!!!!! Anyway, whats going on up there, I will be staying in Brownville. The map says there is still 15-20 inches up there, how is my weekend looking? Its a five hour trip from where I am BTW!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am sitting at work, looking outside at my trailer hooked up to my truck which will be on its way up to millinocket at 5:01 pm tonight. This is torture!!!!! Anyway, whats going on up there, I will be staying in Brownville. The map says there is still 15-20 inches up there, how is my weekend looking? Its a five hour trip from where I am BTW!![/b]
Heard tomorrow night they could get 3-5" depending on how long the rain/ice last. Im sure you can find some stuff to ride on, but right now its a bit sketchy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right now the snow is firm and a little bit icy with no stepping/crunching thru. How? Wind chill and temp. Riders are going out this morning from the dike up State Road into BSP and will hear back from them this afternoon. No ifs and butts - it refroze last night despite what you may read from weather.com or hear on this board. Tonites low is supposed to be 21 so they are supposed to be grooming tonite & tomorrow night - and we are expecting another 3-5" of snow tonite/tomorrow morning - all very good news. And NICE CALL on the snow depth - about 18" on average out there now of very hard pack. Thats good news. I am only speaking of Millinocket/surrounding areas & heading north - how much snow Brownville lost I do not know but they should have at least 12-15" of hard pack left - and with the new snow & still light crowds the riding should be fine & trail traffic should be light. Next weekend may be different story with more crowds but for this weekend fine. Just my 2c worth........

·
Registered
446 Posts
Right now the snow is firm and a little bit icy with no stepping/crunching thru. How? Wind chill and temp. Riders are going out this morning from the dike up State Road into BSP and will hear back from them this afternoon. No ifs and butts - it refroze last night despite what you may read from weather.com or hear on this board. Tonites low is supposed to be 21 so they are supposed to be grooming tonite & tomorrow night - and we are expecting another 3-5" of snow tonite/tomorrow morning - all very good news. And NICE CALL on the snow depth - about 18" on average out there now of very hard pack. Thats good news. I am only speaking of Millinocket/surrounding areas & heading north - how much snow Brownville lost I do not know but they should have at least 12-15" of hard pack left - and with the new snow & still light crowds the riding should be fine & trail traffic should be light. Next weekend may be different story with more crowds but for this weekend fine. Just my 2c worth........[/b]

thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've ridden up around the Forks and Greenville area a good amount, but I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of a place to park up in Millinocket with a trailer and unload my sleds. I have never ridden up into Millinocket before and a fairly secure place to drop the sleds and ride would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I used to ride in Maine for the first 10 years I rode. My buddy has a place in Conway where I have ridden that last three years. The tickets for cans and the relentless fish and game "safety check" stops are pushing me more and more back into Maine. I liked Maine better anyway but the convenience of a free place to stay and downtown Conway kept me there for a while. The BS has overshadowed the convenience now and I'm looking back towards Maine. The family bought a place in Madison, NH and now I am planning to head directly in Freyburg area to get the hell out of NH. I know it is a run on messege but I wanted to give the Maine riders and business owners an idea of what is happening in NH. I know of at least a dozen riders I have talked to that are moving all of their riding over into Maine due to being harassed in NH.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well, Geez, don’t be bringing your loud snowmobiles over here either. We don’t have too many issues with loud cans because for the most part people respect the trails and the areas and don’t have screamers. Please don’t have the assumption that Maine tolerates loud exhausts, because you will get a ticket just the same. We like it that we don’t have to be monitored every second by Wardens here, don’t need to start.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, Geez, don’t be bringing your loud snowmobiles over here either. We don’t have too many issues with loud cans because for the most part people respect the trails and the areas and don’t have screamers. Please don’t have the assumption that Maine tolerates loud exhausts, because you will get a ticket just the same. We like it that we don’t have to be monitored every second by Wardens here, don’t need to start.[/b]
My sled isn't a "screamer". I didn't even get pulled over for the sound. I got pulled over for a "safety check" and anything not stock gets written up in NH. I did it to cut weight and the stock can was bulky/ugly as hell. He said there was not question about noise level and didn't write me up for noise, he just said that it wasn't stock so it was illegal. That is the bullsh*t riders in NH area dealing with.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Keep those loud sleds out of Maine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I never had problems in Maine before when I rode with modified exhausts. Are they cutting down like NH is now? Everyone says that it is for keeping trails open, but the motivation for the state seems to be more for revenue then anything else (making up for the last few bad winters). They know out of staters won't go to court and fight a ticket up in northern NH and they will just pay. I know a guy that lives local to where I was and his sled is pretty loud, rode right through the "safety checkpoint" and said the game warden waived him right through didn't even stop him. He couldn't believe I got stopped.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts