Hardcore Sledder banner

Not something I wanted to see

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  f7firecat 
#1 ·
:( This passed weekend in Presque Isle, I saw a man die. He was on Lynx lake. I think he lost track of the shoreline. He hit a birch tree that was hanging over the lake...it took his helmet right off, and I'm sure he was killed instantly. We had just been talking with the very kind man, and I couldn't even believe it was him. He was obviously not familiar with the lake. My husband and brother in law helped carry this man off the lake on a board...I walked right next to him with a flashlight. I never want to be in that position again! I just wanted to tell all of you about this...and just to say, BE CAREFUL out there. The F7's that we drive are rockets...make sure you know where you're taking off and landing. The image of that man lying there next to his twisted sled, deceased, will never leave me. It can happen so easy. Just be careful. This happened at night, obviously. So, just because I care...I'm saying BE SAFE! Oh, and I don't believe for one minute that alcohol was a factor. They tend to throw that at the snowmobilers all the time. This man was so kind, and just a great guy!

Have a Safe and Happy Season.

#3 ·
I heard of the 2 riders that drowned in WI it was even on the news here, I just crossed a like here this pased weekend I dont really like them and cross not slow but not faster then I can see where I am going and try to stay off of them at night unless I no the lake, most of the lakes here are small so they freeze fast, but you still never no, so be careful out there, Oh Dave we got 12" to 18" more inches on the way tonight,, 1-20-02

#4 ·
Shelly, that must have been a terrible experiance. I feel for both the family of the deceased and you. In my office, the husband of one of our employees was a big snowmobiler till last winter when his good friend died in his arms in Northwoods after hitting a tree. All people in the party sold their sleds. Life is fragile, even more so when your on 100 plus mph sleds!

#7 ·
one thing that makes me even more nervous about the deaths is that here in minnesota we have had no snow to speak of and know that everyone really wants to ride so if and when we get that first real snow all hell is going to break loose on the trails everone is going to be going too fast and people are going to get themselves killed because the trails are going to be so full of sleds........ i know up north at my cabin the people are generaly not too stupid about riding.... but i have had my close calls and sad but true they were all people on polarises and the were coming to close to the inside of turns and one of them i came around the corner and i had seen him and he came straight at me and all i could do was tip my sled over on its side to get out of the way i dont know how i didnt cleat the side of his sled with my studs.... thats the stuff that scares me and i am only 15

#9 ·
:eek: I can see how that must of affected you. I crashed about 6 weeks ago. I luckly only had a dislocated shoulder and fractured hummerus. I will tell you that it was a wake-up call for me. I still ride fast but not the pace I used to ride at. My best advice to riders is always have these thoughts in your mind when riding.

If the person in front of me stops quickly can I stop before I hit him or something else??

If there is a groomer or another sled coming at me ,am I capable of avoiding them at this speed?

If I crash out here It will take a long time before I can get to a hospitial!!!!

be smart.. Be safe.. RIDE TO YOUR ABILITY!!! AND HAVE A BLAST!!!

#10 ·
I also recieved my wake up call this weekend. Riding Big Moose lake in Eagle Bay NY, rolled it several times, 2 barrels and 2 end over end, I could hear the sled crunching but could not see it, helmet full of snow. I found the ECU still attached to the airbox 100 feet away from wear I came to a rest. F7 came to a rest on it's ski's, I towed it off, anti freeze leaking from wasted rear cooler. F7 is a mess, twisted chassie. I walked away with a sore hipe. First one
I wrecked in 25 years. I will wise up!

#12 ·
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 20 2003, 04:31 PM
two sledders drowned on lake delavan in wisconsin yesterday
once again, on a lake at night, did not see the open water
i stay off lakes especially at night unless its part of the marked trail
be carefull, i feel for his family!
I live on Lake Delavan. It was a sad day yesterday. :(

I was ridding it all weekend long. The ice was really thick (for this lake.) It was anywhere from 7-10 inches. There wasn't any open water. Appereantly the guy went down in the middle of the lake at 6:30 on Monday. Out in the middle of the lake it is 60 feet deep, and there was ice husts and atvs out there all sunday long. Also ice boats were crossing the 60 foot deep area. I dont know exactly where the guys went down. THe one guy died and the other is in critical condition. NEVER cross the lake in the middle, follow the shore line. Its more likely the ice is stronger but that isnt always true. The lake has been frozen for quite a while now but when it got warm it opened in some spots. Behind my house its 10 inches thick down by the dam. The water underneath North shore bridge and by the dam are open and thats the only open water that i know of on the lake. Glad it wasnt me. Also becareful there are ice ridges out there some are a foot tall. (Make nice jumps).

#13 ·
Dave Cat 7- Left off the gas from about 100MPH, weight transfered to the ski's and she hooked a groove in the snow on the lake and she started to turn left, my right hand slipped off the throttle side and my left hand pulled on the left bar, helping to turn to the left I was already half off at that point. I am a big guy at about 250lbs, I am sure it was not pretty at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.