Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the Twin Ports (Duluth) being my original home where I was born. I'm pondering the question; if I will ever get to ride at home this winter. They have 10 inches to the west and south of us here in the Twin Cities, but have nothing on the North Shore where LES is supposed to happen. :unfb:

You better dance little fucker!!! :fluffy:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's plenty of ridable snow up the north shore. firered834 and i were out all day on Monday, we had a blast.[/b]
Just curious what do you mean by plenty? 10" plus or is less then that. I know how those rocks will come out and bite you if you don't have enough on the ground.

Ps: Thanks Ajinx for the link.

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,997 Posts
How far up did you guys put in? I went up to the Normanna parking lot this afternoon, and if you really have to get out, there is lots of ice and enough snow to keep the engine from getting hot. I'm gonna try it (somewhere) this weekend. Not much cushioning for the track, but maybe I'll find some better areas, I only walked in a few blocks. I'm sure the further away from the lake the snow amount increases. Rather ride on 8" than 2" (that's what she says)
[attachment=279195:p1035375.JPG][attachment=279191:p1035377.JPG]
[attachment=279197:p1035376.JPG][attachment=279192:p1035378.JPG]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How far up did you guys put in? I went up to the Normanna parking lot this afternoon, and if you really have to get out, there is lots of ice and enough snow to keep the engine from getting hot. I'm gonna try it (somewhere) this weekend. Not much cushioning for the track, but maybe I'll find some better areas, I only walked in a few blocks. I'm sure the further away from the lake the snow amount increases. Rather ride on 8" than 2" (that's what she says)[/b]

Is doesn't look like much for loose snow does it? :dunno: Well hopefully you guys will get some more soon.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This was last sat. on the Snake trail and Hwy. one north of Finland.

[attachment=279465:pC290083.JPG]

This was leaveing the Knotted Pines mon. morning.

[attachment=279473:p1010095.JPG]

Hwy. 2 south of hwy. 1 .

[attachment=279475:p1010098.JPG]

This was sun. evening at the Knotted pines. About 6 inches of wet heavy snow after it rained all day.

[attachment=279482:pC310089.JPG]

This was Isabella lake parking lot Fri.

[attachment=279484:pC280078.JPG]

The logging roads are a blast but the trails need more snow.
Did about 300 miles over new years. Some bad but alot good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sure doesn't look good, that's near duluth, there's no snow down there, i was about 75 miles north of that, good luck.[/b]
Where did you say you were at crazier cat? 75 miles north or northeast?

And it looked alot better?

I wonder how it's faired the last couple days with warmer weather?

·
Registered
450 Posts
here are some picts. from craizercat,lorne and firered834 went riden up behind two harbors on new years day. THERE IS SNOW YOU JUST HAVE TO GO FIND IT AND WE DID! here are a couple of pics.

[attachment=280291:DSCF0895.JPG][attachment=280293:DSCF0879.JPG]

[attachment=280296:DSCF0878.JPG]

·
Registered
450 Posts
OK GUYS, IM GOING TO GIVE UP THE INFO. IF YOU GO UP HWY 1 UNTILL YOU HIT MILE MARKER 313. RIGHT AT THE MILE MARKER THERE IS A ROAD OFF TO YOUR RIGHT CALLED THE DEEP LAKE ROAD. PARK THERE AND RUN DOWN THAT ROAD ABOUT 6 MILES. THE ROAD WILL THEN BECOME UNPLOWED AND ALL THE FOREST SERVICE ROADS FROM THERE ON ARE UNPLOWED! THEN THE FUN BEGINS!!!!!!!!!. THE PICS. WERE FROM NEWYEARS DAY. THE SECRET IS TO STAY OFF THE TRAILS AND ON THE FOREST SERVICE ROADS AND LOGGING ROADS. ALL YOU GUYS THAT DECIDE TO GO UP THERE HAVE FUN AND IF YA SEE ME ON MY FLORSCENT YELLOW SUMMIT STOP AND SAY HI. I'LL BE UP THERE AGAIN ON SUNDAY.

WE'LL SEE YA THERE! HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE! OH BY THE WAY WE ARE GOING TO BE AT STEWART LAKE UP THE DRUMMAND ROAD BEHIND TWO HARBORS ALL DAY FROM 10 AM TILL DARK ON SAT. WITH SLEDS. BONFIRE AND WHEELERS WITH PLOWS TO BUILD THE BIG RAMPS ON THE LAKE FOR THE BIG JUMPS IF ANYONE IS INTRESTED!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
A couple words of advice.
Make sure you have a good forest road map AND alot of gas. You can get lost real easy up there.
Been rideing that area for the last 6 years and I,m still finding new places to ride.
Only ONE gas statoin in that area, The Knotted Pines. The Mooseridge burned down this fall.
Don,t get caught rideing plowed logging roads. $180.00 fine.
Any unplowed logging roads are fair game to ride.
Many times I have put on 150 to 175 miles on a Sat. and never seen another sled.
Have fun but watch out for moose. They don,t move out of your way!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
A couple words of advice.
Make sure you have a good forest road map AND alot of gas. You can get lost real easy up there.
Been rideing that area for the last 6 years and I,m still finding new places to ride.
Only ONE gas statoin in that area, The Knotted Pines. The Mooseridge burned down this fall.
Don,t get caught rideing plowed logging roads. $180.00 fine.
Any unplowed logging roads are fair game to ride.
Many times I have put on 150 to 175 miles on a Sat. and never seen another sled.
Have fun but watch out for moose. They don,t move out of your way!!![/b]
THATS GREAT ADVICE! when we were up there our map dident show the forest roads very good and we had to ask some dog sledders where to go to get back! if you stop at holiday at the bottom of hwy 2 in two harbors i just picked up a map that shows all the forest roads. also watch for the dog sledders up there. they are training there dogs right now for the upcomming beargrease race and they are VERY nice people! :fluffy:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rode from Ely to Tresle Inn all on forest roads. Great riding, much better than any groomed trails. Tresle Inn was empty. It seems that nobody thinks there is any snow to ride. There is not a lot off snow to go and play around in the swamps and meadows but the roads have a 3 inch hard packed base. They have groomed some sections of the Tomahak trail but it is in real rough condition. We did run into a lot of roads that were plowed and ran the risk of getting caught but we didn't see any LAW out there today. If we did we would simply turn around and go another way. They arn't going to chase you but if you do stop you WILL get a ticket. A good forest map and extra gas is good to have up there. Just thought I'd share this information with you guys that are itching to ride. Thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts