Hardcore Sledder banner
4381 - 4400 of 4425 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ride Command just recently put those trails on a few weeks ago now. I had 95% of them on my own rides I'd saved, and a couple waypoints not many know about, which obviously don't show up on the main trail system. over looks, towers, shortcuts, etc. I would see them on my phone, but they wouldn't appear on my desktop for many years.
Might be better if they left them off :) We were surprised - probably burned more than half a day up there. No traffic, no bumps, just miles of turns.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Left out of Proctor this morning and went up to Isabella and back.
222 miles and for the most part the trails were good going up.
Coming back was a whole new ball game.
Mash potato snow and lots of bare spots.☹☹
It was 49 degrees when we got back and the trails by Duluth are just about toast..
The NSST is starting to show a lot of bare spots and mud.
The Yukon is holding up well but with the warm temps. and sunny skies, it not going to last too long.
Get out and ride as soon as you can because it's just about done.😠😠😠
With 1700 miles for the year, it's been fun.👍👍
Time to leave next week for a week in Orlando Florida.👍👍🌞🌞🧜🧜🏖🏖

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
6,048 Posts
Just a quick buzz up the NSST out of Two Harbors. Just long enough of a ride on the rebuild to blow a belt. Soft, smooth trails, with a few small bumps in very scattered locations. A few bare spots. Saw a sled dipped off the trail and into the trees. Sled messed up pretty good.. Guys on Superior Shores' rentals, I think. First time on snowmobiles, visiting from Jamaica. Met one of the crew at the JAB shelter.

Reactions: todduf7

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did 175 miles on the NSST and pequaywan/hoyt lakes trail today. South part of Pequaywan is toast, mud everywhere. Things were going downhill fast, mashed potatoes and the base just getting ripped up by riders. With the forecast the rest of the week - it doesn't look good. Finland or Sawbill north should last a little longer, but I'd be surprised if things last much past the weekend.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yo
Did 175 miles on the NSST and pequaywan/hoyt lakes trail today. South part of Pequaywan is toast, mud everywhere. Things were going downhill fast, mashed potatoes and the base just getting ripped up by riders. With the forecast the rest of the week - it doesn't look good. Finland or Sawbill north should last a little longer, but I'd be surprised if things last much past the weekend.
It was a good run..

you get a boosted assault? $23k?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have a current report on what the NSST and side spurs are like from Two Harbors north after this past weekend 3/18-3/20? Those were the warmest temps we’ve seen. All these reports were just prior to that. Sounds like they’re getting snow today/tomorrow and I was contemplating one last ride tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gunflint or grand portage may be the only option. I wonder if they will groom the new sloppy snow? Looks cold enough on the weekend for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Groomed the northern part of the Yukon today and it's still in great shape.
With the warm temps. coming in the middle of next week, the grooming might come to a screeching halt real quick. It might get groomed Monday and after that it will be a crap shoot.
Do you anticipate any grooming being done on the Yukon and Tomahawk before the weekend? Or will it probably only be the NSST? Going to head up for one last ride on Friday and Saturday. thanks in advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rode Finland north today. About 8-10 inches of new snow on the trail. NST had not been groomed since last Sat and was in bad shape with big moguls. Tomahawk was good up to the Tressel, then crap further north. A few of the fireroads & local trails were OK with the new snow. Things were melting fast with the temp in the mid 40's and the sun out.
We only did about 1/2 the miles we intended because of the bad trails. Cooler temps are forecast, so If they can get out & groom - there could still be some OK riding. I spoke to Ward Wallin at the DNR and he thought the clubs were done grooming the Grant in Aid trails, but the state was still going to try and groom the next 3 nights if the temps got cool enough. They haven't been able to groom since Saturday because it's been too warm.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do you anticipate any grooming being done on the Yukon and Tomahawk before the weekend? Or will it probably only be the NSST? Going to head up for one last ride on Friday and Saturday. thanks in advance
Can't help you on that.
I'm in Orlando Florida now for a week.🌞🌞🌞
My guess would be that the Yukon will not be groomed, at least the northern section being there is a small lake we have to cross and I'm sure it's slush now.
Maybe Karl can get out from the club house and get the southern section groomed at least one more time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rode Finland north today. About 8-10 inches of new snow on the trail. NST had not been groomed since last Sat and was in bad shape with big moguls. Tomahawk was good up to the Tressel, then crap further north. A few of the fireroads & local trails were OK with the new snow. Things were melting fast with the temp in the mid 40's and the sun out.
We only did about 1/2 the miles we intended because of the bad trails. Cooler temps are forecast, so If they can get out & groom - there could still be some OK riding. I spoke to Ward Wallin at the DNR and he thought the clubs were done grooming the Grant in Aid trails, but the state was still going to try and groom the next 3 nights if the temps got cool enough. They haven't been able to groom since Saturday because it's been too warm.
Thanks for the update. Very useful!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rode yesterday but not in the Grand Portage area so sorry I can’t help you for that specific area. I rode in the Silver/Beaver Bay and Tettagouche area. Overall the trails were good. I rode 100% club/spur trails and wasn’t on the NST. These club trails had less traffic and we’re pretty smooth. Biggest issue I had was overheating. Despite good snow coverage on the trails it is so hard (not icy just hard) and it isn’t softening up during the day with the cooler temps. I was constantly overheating with my 800 even with scratchers down. I went back and got my 600 as it typically runs 20-30 degrees cooler and with scratchers was able to keep it from overheating but it still ran 160-185 most the day. Even running the edge of the trail didn’t help much as the snow was so hard. The couple trails I rode that had more traffic also had more moguls. I talked to a DNR CO at the gas station and he said they were done grooming the NST and I think most clubs are done too so I wouldn’t expect much if anything to be groomed.

4381 - 4400 of 4425 Posts