Lake was great last weekend.
Cook groomers are out I guess?
Heard that before!!

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,982 Posts
I'd say call the Skyport.

Hungry Jack is having drag races on Saturday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks pretty decent at hungry jack.

We decided not to make the 6 hour drive for unknown trails. Probably will regret.

Have fun if you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
A solid day of solo riding Friday. 200+ miles in all of very decent trails. Started off in Lutsen to a freshly groomed State Trail. Worked my way up to Hungry Jack for lunch. Then over to Grand Portage where I ran into some HCS comrades. Bombed around on their trails for a bit, and yes, they have done a great job up there! Then back to Lutsen (via the Skyport and a prime rib dinner!). For the most part very good snow. As I was loading up, the state trail guys were firing up the groomers for one more hit on the State Trail. Glad I had to opportunity to thank them in person.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad you guys got a good ride in. I knew it would be good as soon as we pulled the plug.

·
Banned
81 Posts
There were still quite a few people riding out of hwy 2 lot this weekend the trail condition made me cringe. I stopped riding here 3 weeks ago.
Any thoughts to what might be left next week north of Lutsen?

·
Registered
74 Posts
There were still quite a few people riding out of hwy 2 lot this weekend the trail condition made me cringe. I stopped riding here 3 weeks ago.
Any thoughts to what might be left next week north of Lutsen?
The state trail was getting real thin on the ride back from Skyport. Same from Grand Portage back to sky port, not as bad as the state trial but that afternoon sun really did a number on snow.

On are way back I stopped on a really bad corner and snapped a picture for you.
One of the skidoo riders this weekend missed a corner and described it to me and I said, hey I think that the same corner that got one of the guys on the HCS last weekend . A little investigation work , yep same corner I said.

I pointed at the ground and said, here's fireballs stump from last weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
Rode out of Finland Sunday. Tough going! Plenty of unavoidable dirt sections, some a hundred feet long. Clicks galore! Made my way to the Trestle, lots of ice, ruts with no give, hard as concrete surfaces, it looked like the State guys ran the groomer Sarurday overnight and flattened quite a lot, so even with scratchers, temps were in the 140 to 150 range. I was hoping the sun would have softened it up some, but the slushy top layer really didn't appear. Saw a couple roads the groomer shaved down.
Second pic shows a slice of the better stuff, this dirt is avoidable. Many parts, especially just north of Finland, were not!!

Reactions: 2strokejoke

·
Banned
81 Posts
The state trail was getting real thin on the ride back from Skyport. Same from Grand Portage back to sky port, not as bad as the state trial but that afternoon sun really did a number on snow.

On are way back I stopped on a really bad corner and snapped a picture for you.
One of the skidoo riders this weekend missed and corner and described it to me and I said, hey I think that the same corner that got one of the guys on the HCS last weekend . A little investigation work , yep same corner I said.

I pointed at the ground and said, here's fireballs stump from last weekend.

View attachment 2119634
That corner is now famous!
At this rate the trees will all be cleared out and the trail can go straight through as God damn well intended.

As for damage to my sled from that little logging operation, the steering post has a little forward/aft play in it and the lower A-arm pushed back a little bit but not as bad as I originally thought out on the trail. I can still fit a pinky finger between the shock and A-arm at all deflections. The RF plastics are all pushed back and broken to more or less match the left side. It's amazing the hood stayed on for 100 more miles. I had to drill out what was left of the carbides. Sled is still rideable and I'll decide on all new plastics for next year or not, maybe a color change...

Other updates, I put the bottom end of the wifes 600 back together and is rotating nicely with fresh isoflex & new seals. Waiting on caged wrist pin bearings, have SPI pistons to go in. Cleaned RAVE valves & replaced o-rings and gaskets. Ordered a set of VForce3 reeds. So far I'm in it at $620 which will be by far the cheapest Ski-doo series3 engine I've ever rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Rode 127 miles Saturday from Skyport to Trestle. It was ok going south, and spent a couple of hours mid afternoon at the Trestle. That was a mistake. By late afternoon Saturday the 49 degree temps and intense sun turned the snow base in to mush. We were essentially riding on the ground on the way back because the snow was too soft to hold the sleds up. We hit tons of rocks and the I bent up my new Shaper bars on the way back and destroyed a Pilot ski. We took it easy and rode the edges. On Sunday, we rode across Devils Track Lake and there was no lubrication or snow kicking up to cool the heat exchangers. We were all overheating by the time we hit the west end. We rode the Xpressway up to the Lullaby Trail (which had seen little traffic and was perfect). We aborted our trip up to Hungry Jack on the G Trail since it was in such rough shape. We just headed back south on the G Trail back to Skyport and headed in to the bar to reminisce about a great season.... We did about 200 miles over the weekend, and it was 75% pretty poor..... But we didn't bitch, at least we got one last ride in!

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Rode 127 miles Saturday from Skyport to Trestle. It was ok going south, and spent a couple of hours mid afternoon at the Trestle. That was a mistake. By late afternoon Saturday the 49 degree temps and intense sun turned the snow base in to mush. We were essentially riding on the ground on the way back because the snow was too soft to hold the sleds up. We hit tons of rocks and the I bent up my new Shaper bars on the way back and destroyed a Pilot ski. We took it easy and rode the edges. On Sunday, we rode across Devils Track Lake and there was no lubrication or snow kicking up to cool the heat exchangers. We were all overheating by the time we hit the west end. We rode the Xpressway up to the Lullaby Trail (which had seen little traffic and was perfect). We aborted our trip up to Hungry Jack on the G Trail since it was in such rough shape. We just headed back south on the G Trail back to Skyport and headed in to the bar to reminisce about a great season.... We did about 200 miles over the weekend, and it was 75% pretty poor..... But we didn't bitch, at least we got one last ride in!
This whole season was tough on skis and carbides. I wrecked two nice sets of carbides from hitting rocks. Bent a ski and took some good gouges out too.

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts

Could be my last ride of the year... most everybody says this winter sucked for snow around here in Minnesota, and a short season happened. But, I did manage an early ride October 28th, and today is the first day of Spring. I got only about 2/3 my typical mileage, and this stint shows the last remnants of the only decent snow left. Areas in this video were from Grand Portage, and the Moosewalk near Finland. The hardpack base is almost gone, so new snow will barely hide the problem areas now. Everything is soft, and like mush. Rocks and dirt are prevalent. But, I had to get out one more time!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Videos are great, thanks D-rail!!!
Next year will be better for all of us!!!

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
One step forward, two steps back. We've melted so much now, and expecting an inch or two... which isn't gonna amount to any substantial improvement on the trails. There are pockets of good snow yet, but getting to them is a challenge. Things have drastically disintegrated, especially this last week and a half.

Reactions: mnext02
4201 - 4220 of 4225 Posts