Hardcore Sledder banner

4121 - 4140 of 4174 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Finally our first great ride of the year!!
Left out of tofte Friday morning.
Access trail is beat!!
When we got up to state trail we were surprised by grooming perfection!!
First ones on it!!
Decided to head to rustic inn for lunch!!
Made a quick run into Finland to top tanks off.
Trails into Finland nice!!
Had a great bowl of chili at Rustic and we were off.
Headed back north to trestle but at Tomahawk intersection decided it was so nice we would keep riding up to Cascade lodge for supper!!
Lutsen trails were great a bit thin down low but rideable!!
202 miles for the day
We were up in that area on Saturday also. The trails were great. Here is some video of us leaving Finland.

·
Registered
136 Posts
wow thanks for the vid, things have improved greatly since my report from 3 weeks ago for the same trails. Back then there was no snow burms on the side of the trails. How was the Moosewalk and did you go from Finland north on Sawtooth to Tomahawk?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I assume this weekend will be great too. The cold keeps traffic down and even if it is busy the snow holds a groom better in the cold. Get out before it warms up and everyone else heads out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like what you guys have done with the place! I started Vol. 2 of this thread over on a similar sled site, but this is the original!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi all,

Just getting back into snowmobiling after a ten year sabbatical. I've ridden bikes with D-rail in the past and sledding with greasemoneky and I'm sure others here as well . So it's good to see some familiar names.

The Hermantown Night Riders opened up the Keene Creek trail after many years of being closed to snowmobiling. A huge thank you to them and their efforts! This allowed me to ride from home again, rekindling my snowmobiling interest, and prompted me to pick up a 2003 Ski-Doo Traill SS with 800 miles at the end of last season.

This year I've been riding the Munger and Hermantown trails with friends and my two kids. I still have a '95 Indy 500 that I've owned since new and it's a perfect sled for the kids.

Anyway, this upcoming weekend, a friend and I are planning to go somewhere up the North Shore for something different. Is there a recommended place to trailer to, to experience a good half day ride? Two Harbors, Silver Bay, other?? It's been so long, I don't really remember the trails anymore.

My 15-year-old daughter on her first groomed trail ride this winter. Double thumbs up :)

emma snowmobile.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Its about time you get back out on the sled.(y)(y)
You could run up to the Alger grade parking lot or you can launch out of our club house. ( the old Dixie) if you want to run out of Two Harbors.Free parking and 24 hr. gas pump at the club house.

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,946 Posts
Welcome back!! You'll be like a kid on a bike, won't forget how to ride, and many places will be very familiar to you. Get out, and you will discover several places you will want to frequent again. Take note of the trailheads you pass, and you can mix it up for a variety. Lots of parking at the Alger Grade lot, about 7 miles up offa the main drag near the northern end of town on highway 2. I would think it will be a busy set of trails with the impending warm-up!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
For those of you staying at Superior Shores and riding you'll be sad to hear that the restaurant and bar are closed but the pool area is open? The trail is decent however.

edit - after walking by there this morning is was clear they are renovating.

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
I rode the lower part of the NSST from the edge of Duluth to the Yukon Spur past Two Harbors today. Those were very good, so was the little section of the Yukon we rode, too. I can't speak for further up these trails, because we only met five in a group who rode the same trails.so, without first hand experience, I can only surmise the rest was good, due to the low amount of traffic with the cold. The Brimson trail was kinda rough, had some good stuff, but the roadway ditch trails were a bit dicey in spots... they'd had a vintage run from Hugo's to the Pequaywan this weekend, and although the Pequaywan was decent, that trail seems to be thinner than most from year to year, but it was still plenty of fun from the NSST to the Inn, and to the turn off onto the Brimson.

Picked up the new sled Wednesday, it turned one month old today, built 1-15-21. Put on 171 miles so far, this thing is crazy, even compared to my older one!!

The new ride:

Second shelter up from Martin Rd.:

The NSST up by Two Harbors:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I rode the lower part of the NSST from the edge of Duluth to the Yukon Spur past Two Harbors today. Those were very good, so was the little section of the Yukon we rode, too. I can't speak for further up these trails, because we only met five in a group who rode the same trails.so, without first hand experience, I can only surmise the rest was good, due to the low amount of traffic with the cold. The Brimson trail was kinda rough, had some good stuff, but the roadway ditch trails were a bit dicey in spots... they'd had a vintage run from Hugo's to the Pequaywan this weekend, and although the Pequaywan was decent, that trail seems to be thinner than most from year to year, but it was still plenty of fun from the NSST to the Inn, and to the turn off onto the Brimson.

Picked up the new sled Wednesday, it turned one month old today, built 1-15-21. Put on 171 miles so far, this thing is crazy, even compared to my older one!!

The new ride:

View attachment 2117850

View attachment 2117851

View attachment 2117852
That is a nice looking ride. I picked this one up on Friday. Put a 114 miles on it Saturday on the local trails by my house. Yes they are a blast.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,257 Posts
Nice shiney new sleds guys! My XCR has been on the snow for exactly one month, it still looks purdy, but at 2500 miles, she ain't new no more! Hope to be on the NSST Feb 28 - March 3rd. @D-rail hit me up if you'll have a day or two for riding then.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

The new ride:

View attachment 2117850

View attachment 2117851

View attachment 2117852
Did you get the big screen so you can see where your buddies are?

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Did you get the big screen so you can see where your buddies are?
Nope. It was tough enuff finding a regular Pro S Switchback, coulda bought one that had the old style "big screen" (PIDD), but I have a hard time interpreting all the small print/labels. Test rode a 650 Matryx with the new Omnimax version, it is a nice deal, but for $1600 it ain't!!

Reactions: mnext02

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

The new ride:

View attachment 2117850

View attachment 2117851

View attachment 2117852
She's a looker, D-Rail!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nope. It was tough enuff finding a regular Pro S Switchback, coulda bought one that had the old style "big screen" (PIDD), but I have a hard time interpreting all the small print/labels. Test rode a 650 Matryx with the new Omnimax version, it is a nice deal, but for $1600 it ain't!!
is yours an 850?

4121 - 4140 of 4174 Posts