Hardcore Sledder banner

4101 - 4120 of 4192 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,954 Posts
Well, I tried grooming the lower third of the Yukon on Jan. 12th. At that time it was not feasible to continue grooming, swamps and water traps were well frozen but there simply was not enough snow. It would have been reckless to start grooming on a regular basis. Equipment would have taken a toll, much like the DNRs equipment (we dont have the budget that they have). With no measurable snowfall until last weekend there simply wasnt much that we could do. Even with the 4-6" that fell, conditions are still fair at best. I wouldn't say that I was "reluctant" to start grooming, I just value the clubs equipment and my time not spent repairing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wasn't you guys I was referring to. You have a good crew, and they do a great job trying to stay on top of it all...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, I tried grooming the lower third of the Yukon on Jan. 12th. At that time it was not feasible to continue grooming, swamps and water traps were well frozen but there simply was not enough snow. It would have been reckless to start grooming on a regular basis. Equipment would have taken a toll, much like the DNRs equipment (we dont have the budget that they have). With no measurable snowfall until last weekend there simply wasnt much that we could do. Even with the 4-6" that fell, conditions are still fair at best. I wouldn't say that I was "reluctant" to start grooming, I just value the clubs equipment and my time not spent repairing it.

fadmon, so what I'm reading is the lower third of the Yukon hasn't been groomed this season? Just curious of the conditions around Two Harbors, heading up there Friday with some members of our snowmobile club. Is it best to unload at the parking lot outside of Two Harbors or should we be looking at moving our lodging farther north? Thank you in advance for any info!

·
Registered
82 Posts
fadmon, so what I'm reading is the lower third of the Yukon hasn't been groomed this season? Just curious of the conditions around Two Harbors, heading up there Friday with some members of our snowmobile club. Is it best to unload at the parking lot outside of Two Harbors or should we be looking at moving our lodging farther north? Thank you in advance for any info!
Misread, the section from our shop to the Hugo's trail has been groomed twice. The rest of the Yukon was groomed Sunday and Monday, including the trail from town to NSST. I will be grooming again Friday night, up to the spur trail that meets the NSST in Castle Danger.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wasn't you guys I was referring to. You have a good crew, and they do a great job trying to stay on top of it all...
Sorry, just get a little frustrated with complaints about not grooming enough or grooming too much. It's been a tough season, I want to be out grooming but I also like spending time with my family. It's a delicate balance and thankfully my wife is pretty understanding, even then she still makes me feel guilty for spending as much time as I do on club stuff. I took my 6 yo with on Jan 12th. He was a trooper, it was 10pm before he fell asleep riding in the Tucker. He was pretty excited, saw an owl fly out of a tree, a snowshoe hair run out in front of us and moose tracks up and down the trail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
D-Rail, sorry about the sled, good to hear you are ok. I hope you get back up and running soon I always enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sorry, just get a little frustrated with complaints about not grooming enough or grooming too much. It's been a tough season, I want to be out grooming but I also like spending time with my family. It's a delicate balance and thankfully my wife is pretty understanding, even then she still makes me feel guilty for spending as much time as I do on club stuff. I took my 6 yo with on Jan 12th. He was a trooper, it was 10pm before he fell asleep riding in the Tucker. He was pretty excited, saw an owl fly out of a tree, a snowshoe hair run out in front of us and moose tracks up and down the trail.

fadmon30, Thank you for all you do to keep the trails as good as they can be! It's been a tough year. Appreciate all the hard work and the update!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was up at the Knotted Pines last weekend and had to explain to countless people why the Yukon wasn't groomed yet.
Some people just don't understand how hard it is on our equipment when there is low snow especially going through the swamps which a good portion of the Yukon trail.
Like Fadmon said, we have a limited budget to work with every year.
Talked to the groomer operators that groomed the northern part Monday and they said it was tough going but they got it done. Took them a little over 10 hours to do it.
If we get anymore snow on this next so called storm coming Thursday me and another member will groom the north section either Thurs. night or Friday before the cold comes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fadmon30 and Greasemonkey, all you do is greatly appreciated don’t listen to the whiners that don’t have a clue. Every one up there does a great job. Thank you and keep up the great work.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just gotta throw this in here.
Won’t be able to make it up there this season but, as always, thanks to you all for keeping the trails in the best condition possible. Perhaps next year will be better for all. Thank you!!

D-rail, glad to hear you’re healthy and we were wondering why we hadn’t seen hide nor hair of you on here recently. Sad end to a nice sled.
Ride on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Did a little 75 mile jaunt from my house today.
The Hermantown trail from Midway road and Hwy.2 to Fish lake was in decent condition.
The Trail from Fish lake to Island lake was also in decent shape.
The Reservoir Riders trail from the East side of Island Lake to the NSST was BRUTAL.
The NSST trail to the parking lot on Martin road was real nice,
The new trail from the NSST parking lot to the Hermantown trail was just groomed last night.
Figured I would get a small ride in before the cold snap comes in.
There just isn't enough snow yet to get a good base for the trails.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Holy crap your sled is messed. Great that you aren't!!! Be safe.

And yes, thanks to everyone that volunteers to make our trails and state better.

·
Registered
975 Posts
glad you survived that brisk paced crash, Someone's looking out for you.
what is your plan for a new sled, going new 850 or find a nice used "snowflake"??

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
glad you survived that brisk paced crash, Someone's looking out for you.
what is your plan for a new sled, going new 850 or find a nice used "snowflake"??
Have one in the works, heading to the dealer Wednesday, going with another 850 Pro S Switchback. I had to look all over for it, not many in the pipeline right now. Tough time to be buying a sled!! I had thought about buying a couple older Pro R 800's, that way I'd (supposedly) have a fun sled for a spare ride, but I really like the stability, the electronics, the power, and the headlights on these 850's. My Fusion needs a little upgrading to stay with the group!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have one in the works, heading to the dealer Wednesday, going with another 850 Pro S Switchback. I had to look all over for it, not many in the pipeline right now. Tough time to be buying a sled!! I had thought about buying a couple older Pro R 800's, that way I'd (supposedly) have a fun sled for a spare ride, but I really like the stability, the electronics, the power, and the headlights on these 850's. My Fusion needs a little upgrading to stay with the group!!
glad you found one, how many miles did you rack on the last one before that fateful day? and any issues with that 850 mill?

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
glad you found one, how many miles did you rack on the last one before that fateful day? and any issues with that 850 mill?
7600+ miles. Had a few issues. First day out, the electrical connection pulled out from the tail light assembly. I added 4" extra wire, because that section was made too short. I had brought it to the local dealer so they could make a claim on it, but I wasn't gonna wait a week or two while the sled was in the shop waiting for the harness to show up. Just was not enough length, even after we cut the cable ties. At 2969 miles, had a cylinder waterjacket break through from a broken exhaust valve ear, smoking white stuff. Replaced the top end. The dealer had the whole engine apart, and was thoroughly gone through with new seals, etc. Polaris added a fifth year warranty, and gave me a voucher for $525.00, which bought me a storage bag and rack, a better rear bumper, the XCR rear wheel kit with solid wheels. A con rod gave up the ghost at 6420 miles, so the dealer put a new 2020 engine in. My dealer (M & M) was kind enuff to give me a loaner sled while mine was in the shop for all these repairs. I also had a starter issue, both the electric, and the pull rope pulley were replaced @ around 7000 miles. I won't get another sled without a decent warranty. These things do take a lot of punishment, but they are fragile, too. I only ran Polaris Extreme oil for the duration I've owned this, always warm it up to at least 95° before engaging the throttle, even to move it off the trailer... it just sits, then I move it once warm. When it runs good, its hard to beat, I wish Polaris would entertain making a new style triple. All these twins still vibrate more than they should.

Reactions: todduf7

·
Premium Member
2019 Pros switchback
2,526 Posts
Finally our first great ride of the year!!
Left out of tofte Friday morning.
Access trail is beat!!
When we got up to state trail we were surprised by grooming perfection!!
First ones on it!!
Decided to head to rustic inn for lunch!!
Made a quick run into Finland to top tanks off.
Trails into Finland nice!!
Had a great bowl of chili at Rustic and we were off.
Headed back north to trestle but at Tomahawk intersection decided it was so nice we would keep riding up to Cascade lodge for supper!!
Lutsen trails were great a bit thin down low but rideable!!
202 miles for the day

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
7600+ miles. Had a few issues. First day out, the electrical connection pulled out from the tail light assembly. I added 4" extra wire, because that section was made too short. I had brought it to the local dealer so they could make a claim on it, but I wasn't gonna wait a week or two while the sled was in the shop waiting for the harness to show up. Just was not enough length, even after we cut the cable ties. At 2969 miles, had a cylinder waterjacket break through from a broken exhaust valve ear, smoking white stuff. Replaced the top end. The dealer had the whole engine apart, and was thoroughly gone through with new seals, etc. Polaris added a fifth year warranty, and gave me a voucher for $525.00, which bought me a storage bag and rack, a better rear bumper, the XCR rear wheel kit with solid wheels. A con rod gave up the ghost at 6420 miles, so the dealer put a new 2020 engine in. My dealer (M & M) was kind enuff to give me a loaner sled while mine was in the shop for all these repairs. I also had a starter issue, both the electric, and the pull rope pulley were replaced @ around 7000 miles. I won't get another sled without a decent warranty. These things do take a lot of punishment, but they are fragile, too. I only ran Polaris Extreme oil for the duration I've owned this, always warm it up to at least 95° before engaging the throttle, even to move it off the trailer... it just sits, then I move it once warm. When it runs good, its hard to beat, I wish Polaris would entertain making a new style triple. All these twins still vibrate more than they should.
wow, can you rack up the miles quick. don't blame you, i'd be on that sled as much as possible as well. hopefully the next one will be even more dependable, I know you don't baby your machines, hopefully you'll be breaking the new one in shortly

·
Registered
865 Posts
New Prague Snowdrifters club trip to Two Harbors. Trails? Flat and fast. Couldn't have asked for better trail conditions. Thank you to all the groomer operators! Awesome work! We seen two moose... Fitting place to see them... On the Moose Walk Trail.

Attachments

4101 - 4120 of 4192 Posts