Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 4226 Posts

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOTICE: This is an old thread. For most current updates, skip to the last page.

How about 1 thread for all North Shore area trail updates instead of chasing 2-3 at a time every weekend?

2/25/13 10:30 AM
I'll start, just rode the Two Harbors spur loop and trails are good and 90% smooth, snow is soft/sticky/snowball stuff and only a few bare spots. My sled got hot but it usually does on warm days like today.

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
North Shore, Iron Range, Arrowhead, etc.

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spurs from both Holidays are good shape to Dixie and NSST in good shape I rode from town (TH) and put on 45 miles today before noon. There were 4 other sleds at dixie, 2 at Holiday East in Two harbors, and no trucks parked in the #2 lot. The superior shores trail is also in good shape.

Its a good day to ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Advice

We are heading up from Chippewa Falls, WI on Friday morning. Have never riden in MN. Going to go to Sunset Bar & Grill in Duluth to try out the 2014 Yamaha, would like to ride there from a motel. Looking for advice for nice lodging in the area and where to ride on Sat and Sun. Lodging needs to have a bar nearby and needs to be on the trail.

·
Registered
524 Posts
We are heading up from Chippewa Falls, WI on Friday morning. Have never riden in MN. Going to go to Sunset Bar & Grill in Duluth to try out the 2014 Yamaha, would like to ride there from a motel. Looking for advice for nice lodging in the area and where to ride on Sat and Sun. Lodging needs to have a bar nearby and needs to be on the trail.
Motels in Two Harbors would be only ~30 miles from the Sunset, likely less. You've got the Country Inn, AmericInn, & Superior Shores. All have direct access to the trails heading out of town. Don't know about any places right around the Sunset, although there may something closer!

·
Registered
2019 SBA 850, 2012 SBA 800, 2002 700 XCSP, 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI
199 Posts
:bc:Could stay at Hi Banks resort on Fish Lake. Pretty nearby. That's about all I can think of fairly close to Sunset. 2 bars right on the lake and plenty more in the area over to Island Lake, Billy's, etc. More lodging up the shore, back over by the mall or head north to Biwabik and ride the Giant's Ridge area trails. Can't go wrong!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Help me out here Hermantown riders......

Can't he stay at the American Inn in Proctor ride across Boundry east and get on the Hermantown trail , so they can ride north to the Martin Rd. and the Sunset Bar? I know there isn't many place to stay and ride right here in Duluth/ Hermantown area. Like they said Two Harbors has a couple.

Owen

·
Banned
Cat SX
15,895 Posts
Martin Road to Normanna (gravel pit)

I assume this thread was started to update everyone on the actual trail conditions???? Maybe start a different thread for tourism???

Just sayin............anyway:

Normanna to Martin Rd: Trails are packed and fast! Great quickie ride last night. Some ground/grass showing its nasty head. No cooling issues but the slides (hyfax) took a bit of a beating due to there being little snow they could lube with. Had to find fresh stuff where ever I could to cool them. Another inch or two and we're back on track (for a couple of days anyway). Time is ticking.....better get in as much seat time as you can over the next week (or two??)....not much substantial white stuff showing in the future. :no:

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We rode a little of the state trail today and the TH spurs. Fast with slippery spots and bare spots and rocks showing. Temp light came on my MXZ, the XC was ok.

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
again rode from town in Two Harbors today spurs outa town to nsst to yukon to brimson trail, back down to nsst to dixie to powerline to spur and city trails for 84 miles. Same slippery darty conditions as yesterday and a few bare spots. Saw a group of 4, of 2, and about a dozen trucks in the #2 lot.

also shot over to the gooseberry shelter, hey d-rail what do you think about the new ride?

View attachment 654410

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,982 Posts
Is that a '99...? 6 or 7? I liked my old Gen 2 a lot, put over 17,000 on it. You will prolly have it for a while.

EDIT: never mind, just picked up the thread over in the GF... looks good!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
For tomorrow ...........

North Shore trail is smooth , but hard as rock. I know I'd need the ice scratchers down and then it's probably too hard for the mountain sled. It's been warm this week, but below freezing now.

Owen

·
Banned
Cat SX
15,895 Posts
Normanna to T.H. (both corridors)

Like Hightime said....smooth but hard. It's fantastic for speed if that's how you ride. I had a ball! Watch out for deceptivly slippery corners though. I've got the 1.25" Ice Ripper XT and had minimal problems with cooling the hyfax but my buddy has a 1.75"? and his track got "glued" to the hyfax at a rest stop. "Kick some snow" when you stop.

And to the guy that passed me on the Polaris "RS". WOW! I saw you look back once and I was hangin' with all I could, but within a couple of miles I realized I was being "schooled". And as far as I could tell, you too were riding safe in your lane! I'd like to think maybe you are a SnoX-er getting in a lap or two with us "regulars" but whatever.....Nice to be reminded I can always improve my riding. I tip my hat to you sir!

:bc:

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
Ripped a pile o'miles again. Smooth, flat and fast early, below zero to start, then it softened up later, but was still holding up well. A few corners had some grass showing, but no real snirt popping anywhere yet. Temps should be cold enough for at least another week or more. We like to ride to the Urho event in Finland.

Beargrease dogsled race is this coming weekend. If you get out, be aware and when you may see 'em, they are to share the trail. We met some doggies this last weekend, and they actually stayed off to the right when we saw them.

Broke the crank on my Fusion, rode it the last ten miles onto the trailer, but had a nasty li'l knock goin' on... back to the drawing board, and back onto old iron: Snowflake for the remainder of this year. Working on making it better than ever!!

P1020427.jpg

P1020431.jpg

P1020442.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rode the NSST today from Tofte to the staging area north of Two Harbors. 70 miles. Great conditions. Trail is in good shape, with grass only showing in a few corners that are sun exposed. Be careful of a few slippery/icy corners... Get out there and enjoy it!

Traffic was mostly manageable. Saw approx 30 sleds. Please slow down and enjoy the scenery. Saw a dude on a late '90s Polaris XC leading a group of 2 mostly out of control and completely on my side coming around a corner Northbound doing all of 70mph...slipped by me...with his track locked up....barely... I was thankful I had on my TekVest, and didn't need it.

The section going down to Tofte from the NSST is horrible. Don't go down there unless you really need to. Very thin and completely dirt in some spots.

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
The section going down to Tofte from the NSST is horrible. Don't go down there unless you really need to. Very thin and completely dirt in some spots.

I heard the going into Grand Marais now is tuff, too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rode from TH up and around the trails by The Dixie on Friday. Only put on 70 miles. Saturday we ran from the lot to the Trestle. Trails were decent with a few bare spots and a LOT of ice!

On the way back by Gooseberry a guy spit his track in front of us! He was lucky, he was on it hard! We picked it up and chased down his group to go and get him.

Decent amount of traffic but everybody we encountered were under control and we gave each other plenty of room.

To the dude on the RMK who stopped to help us out! THANK YOU!:bc2:

1 - 20 of 4226 Posts