Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the trails are after this last weekend with everybody riding?
Finally work slowed down and now I get to have some fun.
I usually drop at Martin Rd in Duluth or go to Silver Bay and drop from there. Any input on trail conditions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,989 Posts
We went from Silver Bay to Lutsen and back today. Put another 140 miles on. We were the only ones at the parking lot when we started. The trails were superb on the way out, all groomed and no traffic yet, so we flew down/up and around the trails. What a blast! Saw many people out, noticed only a few older sleds (most were 2002 and newer). A very light snow and cloudy, but as we got to the stretch before the Temperance, the sun came out. What a spectacular day for riding!! On the way back, "mini-moguls" were prevalent along many areas around Silver Bay, but still the riding was relatively smooth everywhere else. Get out there!

[attachment=405829:p1020138.JPG]

[attachment=405830:p1020140.JPG]

[attachment=405828:p1020145.JPG][/b]
Depending on each day and what time you went out on. I saw great trails on Saturday from Silver Bay to Lutsen. Friday's trails just outta Duluth were a little sketchy, but still relatively smooth, but on Sunday there were corners with almost no snow because of the traffic. The groomers were gonna be out on Sunday due to the holidays. The straights were pretty decent. The further north you went, the better the trails were holding up. I posted a report and some other pics of Saturday's ride earlier. (see post topic- North Shore conditions, Two Harbors north).

Friday night:

[attachment=406985:p1020127.JPG]

Saturday:

[attachment=406986:p1020146.JPG]

Sunday:

[attachment=406988:p1020152.JPG]

[attachment=406990:p1020151.JPG]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on each day and what time you went out on. I saw great trails on Saturday from Silver Bay to Lutsen. Friday's trails just outta Duluth were a little sketchy, but still relatively smooth, but on Sunday there were corners with almost no snow because of the traffic. The groomers were gonna be out on Sunday due to the holidays. The straights were pretty decent. The further north you went, the better the trails were holding up. I posted a report and some other pics of Saturday's ride earlier. (see post topic- North Shore conditions, Two Harbors north).[/b]
Thanks for the info.

I saw the conditions from you and others posted over the weekend. I was just wondering how the trails are now, after all the traffic this last weekend and if the the groomer has through. (Which you just answered) I figured things have changed a little since the last post on Dec 29th on the previous thread.

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
I was out last night. If you want to ride fast and smooth, this is the place to do it. We were averaging roughly 70 mph last night. Lots of traffic this weekend but the trails are still in super good shape.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Finland/Silver Bay area of the state trail has had lots of traffic over the weekend. The trail is still ridable but is getting some moguls and dirt in the corners.

-Shane

·
Registered
118 Posts
man, i should get a cabin up around there :)
...looks like pretty riding[/b]
It is nice having a cabin in this area. I hope the businesses and clubs keep fighting for more trails though. If the green club has their way, all you will see in Cook County is CC ski trails.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It is nice having a cabin in this area. I hope the businesses and clubs keep fighting for more trails though. If the green club has their way, all you will see in Cook County is CC ski trails.[/b]

I have never seen so many CC skiers in my life. There trails were looking pretty smooth... was thinking about tearing them up with my IQ (j/k).

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Go out during the week and you'll see dogsledders running the State and Yukon Trails. They should have to buy a trail permit too, it only makes sense.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
x3!!

I agree with you and fireball, why should our group (sledder's) be the only one's paying for a trail pass when you have other types of groups out here using the trail too. One group should not have to foot the whole bill for everybody.

·
Registered
468 Posts
X4!! I actually spent a few hours on the phone with the state on this subject last year, they DON'T want to talk about it. After a great amount of time and them trying to avoid answering my questions, I finally did find out the local snowmobile clubs do not have to allow them on the grant-in-aid trails, but I think if we actually closed the trails to them, it would lead to way too much bad publicity for us sledders and we have enough of that already. I called them after catching a ration of shit from two female dog sledders that had their truck parked on the Yukon off of Hwy 11. I was in the groomer and asked them not to park where they were. I then advised them where they should park next time and they copped an attitude with me. I was a little pissed off after that! Reason #2 that I called the state on this subject is, we have a local here that bought some land a number of years back and blocked off the vital East corridor into Two Harbors and now that same person is dog sledding on our trails and sees nothing wrong with what he is doing. WTF!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reason #2 that I called the state on this subject is, we have a local here that bought some land a number of years back and blocked off the vital East corridor into Two Harbors and now that same person is dog sledding on our trails and sees nothing wrong with what he is doing. WTF![/b]
That is a bunch of BS. WTF is right!!! :furious2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually spent a few hours on the phone with the state on this subject last year, they DON'T want to talk about it. After a great amount of time and them trying to avoid answering my questions, I finally did find out the local snowmobile clubs do not have to allow them on the grant-in-aid trails, but I think if we actually closed the trails to them, it would lead to way too much bad publicity for us sledders and we have enough of that already. I called them after catching a ration of shit from two female dog sledders that had their truck parked on the Yukon off of Hwy 11. I was in the groomer and asked them not to park where they were. I then advised them where they should park next time and they copped an attitude with me. I was a little pissed off after that! Reason #2 that I called the state on this subject is, we have a local here that bought some land a number of years back and blocked off the vital East corridor into Two Harbors and now that same person is dog sledding on our trails and sees nothing wrong with what he is doing. WTF![/b]
This is interesting. The general consensus in the dog sledding community (through Beargrease anyway) seems to be that these people are willing to pay for trail passes.

Now I wonder if that's changing or if this is an isolated case?

I knew that the trail past Dixie's was closed due to landowner issues - I also find it interesting that the person that closed it is a trail user (dog sledder or not).

·
Registered
551 Posts
John,

Tell that idiot that the trail is closed to dog sledders unless they get permission first. Tell him you are taking on a case by case basis. This really pisses me off. THAT IDIOT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Last Feb I was riding the North Shore Trail near the trestle Inn at NIGHT and came around a corner and there was a dog sled! The only light was on the mushers head. Lucky we didn't kill all of them.

Some people are just to stupid......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rode the North Shore Trail yesterday from the Martin Rd. to the Pequaywan Trail - trail was in good shape up to the Normanna Pit and fair north of that. We met the groomer headed north when we were on the return trip, south of the pit.

The trail was very soft - I'm sure with the warmer temps that we're having that it won't last too long as it never really gets set up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts