Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question for you guys who now the trails in the north conway area. The family is planning on getting a place up there in feb or march. All the shopping up there let things go over pretty easily with the girlfriends, for once they had no objections. anyway, i normally ride twin/winni/pitts, so i dont know the area too well. So my pops, who is getting the place, wanted to know what trails are in the area. The people who we were talking to about renting a place say they dont ride, but they always here sleds cruisin around nearby. So any landmarks that i would recognize with trails nearby would be great and also any good trails in the area, and long daytrips rides to pitts/colebrook would be good too. I will try and get the address where we are staying, but i think he is still lookin at a few places still. all i know is that it will probrably be near all the stores....

thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help out.......think snow :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
There is plenty of good riding (snow dependent, of course) to be had in that area, going both north and soutn, and in the immediate North Conway area to boot. Sled up that way every winter.

I will let a member(s) of the clubs up that way chime in on their great riding, and the great riding to be had just to the east over the border into Maine.

However, if you head south down corridor 19 you come in to two great club areas...the Ossipee Valley SnowmobileClub and the folks just to the east at Scrub Oaks Scramblers.

The Ossipee Valley Club provides a fantastic trail system that connects to the west toward Winnipesaukee over the Ossipe Mountain Range, to the northwest through the beautiful Tamworth countryside up to the foothills of the White Mountains with Wonalancet, Whiteface and the great Mount Chocurua. You can also cruise over to the great expanses of the Ossippee Lake itself or head west into Wolfeboro or south to Wakefield and beyond.

On Saturdays you can cruise the Scrub Oaks trail system and get a great lunch over at their well known and well visited (and stocked) clubhouse.

Simply said, a few miles south of you are many trails that can keep you happy all day long!

A great place to stop and get further information in that area is Canoe King on Route 16 next to the golfcart track just south of White Lake State Park in Tamworth. Inside you can find Willy, owner of ALL SPORTS, for all your club, registration and mapping needs. John & Mitch can also help you out with any questions or trip planning you may have, along with the ability to supply many items necessary to make your trip safe & comfortable!

Plenty of fantastic riding & good people. PM me if you need any further info!

Skip :beerchug:

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are trails behind the North Conway Grand Hotel, there are usually a few trucks and trailers parked in the lot out behind the hotel. From there I believe you can head North (Gorham?), East (Fryeburg) or South. I've ridden from Moultonboro to North Conway, pretty good ride if there is snow.

Someone from the club could probably help you out.

http://www.mmrsnowmobileclub.com/index.htm

Can always trailer over to Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, some good views but it is a closed trail system - no access out to any corridor trails and being such it doesn't see very much grooming.

http://www.wmtcnh.com/Home.htm

·
Registered
181 Posts
My cousin has a house for rent right on the trail sys in N. conway 3 yrs old sleeps about 10 comf w/ apool table and bar in the game room if you have any ??'s give me a shout 508-958-7334 as I'm pretty familiar w/ the trail sys as well 50-958-7334

·
Registered
151 Posts
The best riding from N Conway (snow permitting) is to the north in good snow years. once you get to...and thru Gorham...the trails get better and better...Seven Islands to Erroll gets really good with good snow cover! From Erroll...you probably know the rest....last few years it's been scratchy till you get well north of Gorham!

·
Registered
166 Posts
just a quick question for you guys who now the trails in the north conway area. The family is planning on getting a place up there in feb or march. All the shopping up there let things go over pretty easily with the girlfriends, for once they had no objections. anyway, i normally ride twin/winni/pitts, so i dont know the area too well. So my pops, who is getting the place, wanted to know what trails are in the area. The people who we were talking to about renting a place say they dont ride, but they always here sleds cruisin around nearby. So any landmarks that i would recognize with trails nearby would be great and also any good trails in the area, and long daytrips rides to pitts/colebrook would be good too. I will try and get the address where we are staying, but i think he is still lookin at a few places still. all i know is that it will probrably be near all the stores....

thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help out.......think snow :fluffy: :fluffy:

Head toward E.Conway then North over Hurricane Mtn Road (unplowed in winter), best riding through North Fryburg (Maine), Lovell, Waterford, Evans Notch then toward Bethel or Gorham. I find riding south to be frustating with lots of traffic and boring RR track trails, though once in Ossipee trails are nice (when uncrowded). Landmarks near trails in town are McDonalds, Grand Hotel, Crest Chevrolet, in Fryeburg..Petes Garage, Fryburg Fairgrounds, Osgoods Tractors, anywhere in-town.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
in my opinion i would say head over to the castle in the clouds. there are some great look outs that over look the lakes. just be careful of the sharp corners. i have been pushed off a few times from other riders on the wrong side of the trail

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
just a quick question for you guys who now the trails in the north conway area. The family is planning on getting a place up there in feb or march. So my pops, who is getting the place, wanted to know what trails are in the area. The people who we were talking to about renting a place say they dont ride, but they always here sleds cruisin around nearby.

thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help out.......think snow :fluffy: :fluffy:[/b]

What is the name of the place you will be renting from? What road is it located on?

Like others have said, there's plenty of good riding to be had in the outlying areas of N. Conway. If you are in N. Conway itself, it can get pretty boney quickly, even in good snow years. Example.....Northern Extremes (rentals) behind Dunkin Donuts, who is right on the rail trail, had to trailer the last TWO seasons. It will be tough to make it to Coleman or Pittsburg for a day trip also, unless you know where you are going and have primo snow. I haven't been able to do it last two seasons b/c of poor conditions and not because of a lack of trying.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone you guys are the best. we are still looking at a few places and havent decided on one as of yet. if you guys have any ideas let me know, one of the most important things is being right on the trial and not having to trailer. cant wait to check the place out, probrably wont be going until feb or march so hopefully by then there will be a shitpot of snow!!! prob spend the first day in the area getting to know everything. then probably spend the next to heading to some of our familiar ridding grounds (winni/colebrook) weather permitting of course...

come on mother nature and old man winter..... :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I stay in North Conway for the past two years, I like the town and my girlfriend doesn't complain because the outlets are right there. Last year they didn't get enough snow to ride at all so we trailered to pitts, which isn't a bad ride if you leave early enough. This year hopefully I won't have to trailer to pitts and can enjoy the North conway area again. Check out the North conway grand, very nice hotel stayed there a couple times and you can catch the trail behind the hotel too. If your in that area let me know always looking for people to ride withor if you book and conditions are no good there ,but are good up in pitts its only about a 1 hour and 45 minute drive. Fryeburg Rentals is a great place to rent from, whatever you do don't rent from lil mans.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is there a trail to cathedral ledge. my bro use to go climbing there a few years back. also any other mountains i can get to the top of on the sled would be a help and what is the experimental forest all about in the bartlett trail systems. the place sounds interesting, didnt know if its just a name or if there is some meaning to it. thanks for all the info everyone, should make the vaca a good time, whenever we get enough snow to go

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Come down to Ossipe valley snowmobile club trails, and climb Mt Chocoroua to the Liberty cabin.....the only bigger Mt. is Mt. Washington, and you can not ride that! Mt. Shaw is just west of our trails, and then there's the great hill fire tower, and the trail through the notch to the parkinglot @ Champney Falls on the Kanc highway. We have challenging trails like you read about...but we need snow, and you'll need a shovel and rope....lol...

·
Registered
166 Posts
is there a trail to cathedral ledge. my bro use to go climbing there a few years back. also any other mountains i can get to the top of on the sled would be a help and what is the experimental forest all about in the bartlett trail systems. the place sounds interesting, didnt know if its just a name or if there is some meaning to it. thanks for all the info everyone, should make the vaca a good time, whenever we get enough snow to go[/b]
there is a trail to c-ledge off the rail bed, best view by far is Pleasant mountain

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
there is a trail to c-ledge off the rail bed, best view by far is Pleasant mountain[/b]

Pleasant Mt. (Shawnee Peak, Maine) is a good one and a fun little climb. An easy one from N. Conway would also be Black Cap off of Hurricane Mt. Rd.. Nice view to Mt. Washington from there. :div20:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pleasant Mt. (Shawnee Peak, Maine) is a good one and a fun little climb. An easy one from N. Conway would also be Black Cap off of Hurricane Mt. Rd.. Nice view to Mt. Washington from there. :div20:[/b]
How could I forget Black Cap?...great view, need lots of snow before its groomed though. Easy access off Hurricane Mtn Rd.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There are trails behind the North Conway Grand Hotel, there are usually a few trucks and trailers parked in the lot out behind the hotel. From there I believe you can head North (Gorham?), East (Fryeburg) or South. I've ridden from Moultonboro to North Conway, pretty good ride if there is snow.

Someone from the club could probably help you out.

http://www.mmrsnowmobileclub.com/index.htm

Can always trailer over to Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, some good views but it is a closed trail system - no access out to any corridor trails and being such it doesn't see very much grooming.

http://www.wmtcnh.com/Home.htm[/b]

I would hope bear notch is groomed very well. Considering there are 3 Groomers on a closed system of no more than 45 miles. One of which is a State owned Tucker 1000, One is a 10' wide LMC owned by the White Mtn Trail club, And a Bombi owned by the Lil' Man. They should be able to keep that much smooth shoudnt they. We do 50 miles with just a Tucker 1000

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would hope bear notch is groomed very well. Considering there are 3 Groomers on a closed system of no more than 45 miles. One of which is a State owned Tucker 1000, One is a 10' wide LMC owned by the White Mtn Trail club, And a Bombi owned by the Lil' Man. They should be able to keep that much smooth shoudnt they. We do 50 miles with just a Tucker 1000[/b]

Is this true 3 groomers? I'll admit I haven't ridden up there in 2 maybe 3 seasons. At that time, everytime I'd call Lil Man on conditions, he was trying to get one of the clubs (Twin?) or the state to bring a groomer down to make a pass. I know in years passed it has never received much in the way of grooming but being closed it wouldn't receive a ton of traffic either other than lil Man's rentals for the most part. I have a place on the other side of Bear Notch, off the Kanc., so I would go up there a couple times a season for a quick afternoon run but haven't the past couple of seasons (twin babies really limit the amount of time one has to get away). If there are really that many groomers for the 45 miles or so of trails it should be smooth all the time. I may need to take a run up as soon as it looks like there is snow.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I know the club has an LMC. The State BOT has had one of their Tucker 1000's stationed up there for the past 2 years. I also have heard rumors that lil man will be running his groomer as well this year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know the club has an LMC. The State BOT has had one of their Tucker 1000's stationed up there for the past 2 years. I also have heard rumors that lil man will be running his groomer as well this year.[/b]
Thanks ckf. Very Cool. Looks like a couple of day trips may be in order this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts