Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother Nature is making base today in North Central Wisco last night and this morning.

4-5" of nice sticky thick white stuff thus far this morning. It's a start. :thumbsup:

Lot of tree's and branches snapping off, reports of power outages. For those out traveling for Thanksgiving today, take your time and be safe.

:bc:

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what we lost over the past week we gained back today - probably 6-7" on top of what didn't melt.

now we really need some cold temps to freeze the swamps, streams, rivers and lakes

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for anyone who wants to ride up and down a railroad bed

Mountain Bay Trail OPEN – On Jan. 8th at 8 am, from Ross Ave./Kelly Club Bar into Shawano County. Trail access to the following gas stations are allowed; Kwik Trip off of Schofield Ave and the Shell/Arbys south of Hwy 29 off of County Rd. J.

All trails that connect to the Mountain Bay Trail are still CLOSED

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marathon/Lincoln/Langlade counties all in the snow band again today. Not crazy about the warmer temps coming and the potential for rain though.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,482 Posts
Get ready to ride in mid late February is all I got to say. It's gotta get cold sometime this winter!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went out for an abbreviated ride to check conditions after they re-opened the trails today. In a nutshell, after the warm temps on Sunday and then the cool-off we had the last few days they were rock hard ice. Base should be fine. We'll need some warmer temps to make it sticky again or a fresh batch of snow on top of what is there. Corners were fairly icy, so use caution if you don't run good carbides and studs. Trailmates groomer was just heading out on the northwest side of Brokaw when I was loading up. First time I can recall wishing I had a set of ice scratchers on my sled, kept a vigilant watch for the temp light but luckily it never came on.

Be safe out there! ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Went out for an abbreviated ride to check conditions after they re-opened the trails today. In a nutshell, after the warm temps on Sunday and then the cool-off we had the last few days they were rock hard ice. Base should be fine. We'll need some warmer temps to make it sticky again or a fresh batch of snow on top of what is there. Corners were fairly icy, so use caution if you don't run good carbides and studs. Trailmates groomer was just heading out on the northwest side of Brokaw when I was loading up. First time I can recall wishing I had a set of ice scratchers on my sled, kept a vigilant watch for the temp light but luckily it never came on.

Be safe out there! ;)

Thanks boss! I am heading up to Danbury again this weekend. Some of the best riding there has been in many years up there. WI just knows trails so much better than MN.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same today as Wednesday, hard, fast, solid base, no real lubrication snow. Carbides, studs and scratchers are suggested. We'll have to see what happens with Mother Nature on Sunday.

Time for me to go scratcher shopping if conditions don't change quickly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
4-6" of powder over hard pack today, that was fun! :)
I bet it was slippery. Had 5 inches at my house this morning. In the back yard by the bird feeders it is packed down hard. That new fluffy snow on the hard pack was seriously slippery. Almost bit the dust a couple of times.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bet it was slippery. Had 5 inches at my house this morning. In the back yard by the bird feeders it is packed down hard. That new fluffy snow on the hard pack was seriously slippery. Almost bit the dust a couple of times.
not too bad, but a few of the corners were greased out by someone spinning all the time, heck I run 8" carbides and studs and a few times I had to counter steer around corners. while riding at times it was nearly white-out visibility, so we toned down our pace, enjoyed the fluff and did our best to pack down two lanes on the trail rather than everyone riding right down the center. someone was out on an ATV (legally) in one section, what a f'ng mess that thing made.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice ride with sunshine almost all on fresh groom in N/E Marathon Cty, S/E Lincoln Cty, and S/W Langlade Cty. Didn't see another sled out. A little secret for those that ride around here, the clubs groom on Monday's & Thursday's. ;)

Get your miles on before next week's warm up!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did 200+ miles last Friday/Saturday, good conditions and road runs were fine.

Did 100 miles today, trails were rock hard in the morning, started loosening up early afternoon and are now nice and loose. Hopefully the clubs will be able to get out and flatten the bumps and corners demolished over the weekend and they firm up without subsequent damage before the next freeze. We're going to need some fresh snow, as the road sections are mud/gravel or pavement.

Over 1,300 local miles so far this year, no complaints! :)

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts