Hardcore Sledder banner

Non sled specific riding gear

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jethroxlt 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am getting back into sledding this upcoming season after a 5 year hiatus. I have owned FXR, MotoFist and Klim (Keewanaw). This year I am contemplating a different approach to gear, in that instead of purchasing sled specific gear with a limited seasonal use, I am thinking of going with Arcteryx gear and layering instead. Since I need to purchase a new 3 season jacket anyways and I spend considerable time outdoors.

My biggest concern is warmth for trail riding (Ontario/Quebec/NB, Canada). I would be going with my usual base layer, a down or fleece mid and Arcteryx Beta or equivalent. My concern is that as we know, typically insulated snowmobile jackets are made from a heavier external shell fabric. I am concerned about air permeability and wind seepage.

Can anyone with experience in an Arcteryx, Marmot, REI, etc. shell provide any feedback for warmth trail riding, with limited physical exertion?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I've gone down this path with limited success. Air permeability and wind seepage as you say was a challenge. Another issue I had was the jacket riding up in back. Sled specific apparel seems to be better at that. Over the years I've tried many non-sled specific items in the hopes of finding a better option. I've always ended up back with gear designed for the application. I'm in FXR gear now and absolutely love it.

#4 ·
maybe rather than trying to find NON sled gear, just shop online and look at discontinued products
many of the OEM;'s these days change colors and designs every yr, and thus make there LAST year gear be on sale in close outs and discontinued sales prices that are many times a LOT lower than what the product sold for just the yr before

these deals can be had on helmets gloves jackets bib's pants and base layers everything you need, if your not caring about matching gear and or the latest and greatest model gear!

and then you will have sled designed gear yet get it at way better pricing!

#5 ·
and I'd think that if you get non-sled specific gear roomy enough for the insulation needed for canada trails , it'll be kinda ill fitting for other outdoor use...

#6 ·
Hi All,

I am getting back into sledding this upcoming season after a 5 year hiatus. I have owned FXR, MotoFist and Klim (Keewanaw). This year I am contemplating a different approach to gear, in that instead of purchasing sled specific gear with a limited seasonal use, I am thinking of going with Arcteryx gear and layering instead. Since I need to purchase a new 3 season jacket anyways and I spend considerable time outdoors.

My biggest concern is warmth for trail riding (Ontario/Quebec/NB, Canada). I would be going with my usual base layer, a down or fleece mid and Arcteryx Beta or equivalent. My concern is that as we know, typically insulated snowmobile jackets are made from a heavier external shell fabric. I am concerned about air permeability and wind seepage.

Can anyone with experience in an Arcteryx, Marmot, REI, etc. shell provide any feedback for warmth trail riding, with limited physical exertion?

Thanks!
layer 1.hallie hansen thermal underwear , pants and shirt.

layer 2.whatever you want.

#8 ·
hallie gear is good for -40 celsuis.

throw a waterproof shell over top of the thermals youll never be cold again. trust me.puts my oem jacket and bibs to shame . and there tight fit and thinsulate, not big and bulky or restrict movement.

been wearing em for years.i can sleep in a snowbank and be completely fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.