Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went for a ride today. Noticed a noise and vibration in the tunnel, almost like super swampers on a truck. I think it is the studs hitting in the suspension, Maybe the ones in the slide rail. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was this noise right from the start or after some snow and ice buildup. I notice it only when ive been riding for a while and get some snow and ice built up on the suspension and under the tunnel.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think ice is the problem. It just started right after I studded the other night. I am going to try to put it up on a lift and see what the problem is . I am wondering if my studs aren't quite tight enough on the rails. I was just wondering if anybody else noticed this after studding.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
what brand are you guys using for stud's??
i have every window studed. and no noise or
vibration at all .and no hifax wear at all.
i used studboys power point's
they have a tapered head
and are you guys sure the heads are flush
with the track??

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said I have to check and See if they are flush. I am usining Woody's. I am pretty sure they are gold diggers . I know they are 1.075.

·
Administrator
20,856 Posts
I've got the same vibrating noise, but it goes away after I hit the 40mph+ range. It sounds like the noise that Rob wrote about when he test drove the sled last spring. I ran it just under 200 miles this weekend, and had no problems. But I'm thawing it out tonight to go over everything.

What size track do you have, and what size studs? I've got the standard track, and am running 1.150 Extreme Max studs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hookedup, I too used the AC template, 170 studs, Joe Stud Stainless 1.250", over every closed window and have no problems whatsoever. The stud head should be pulled slightly into the track.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Unless your studs are obviously not tightened down enough and sunk in the track enough, than I agree with F7TimmyF7 and 1madcat on the ice build-up theory. I usually thaw out my F7 after a ride, and it always seems to be quite quiet when I take off for my next ride. However -- and I DON'T think I'm imagining this -- the "track noise" seems to get noticeably louder after I take off again after an hour lunch or dinner break. If this is indeed what's causing the noise -- and I think it is -- it's probably compounded even further with the very cold temps most of us are experiencing lately. What I mean is, any snow and ice that's in your tunnel just gets frozen that much quicker AND harder in these cold temps, making more noise as the track rubs against it, and making it that much more difficult for the track to clear it out of the tunnel as well. -- Roy

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Firecats have alot less clearance in the tunnel in some areas and is much more prone to noise from ice build up than previous ZR's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is the woody gold diggers in the slides , they are not flat on the bottom and they have woodys engraved on them . Change the pics on the rails to excels or any other flat pic and your problem will be solved. There is no give on those studes

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Pro7. I think you may be on the money. the noise started just as soon as I pulled it out of the garage. I will tell you tonight . I am going to pull it in and check it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts