Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been up in and around shawinigan for over a week now rideing. First off, conditions and people are excellent. However, with the excelent conditions comes poor to non-excistant signage! After thinking it was me who didn`t no how to read a map properly, started chatting with the localls on the trail(usually when we were lost). Memory of the trails from previose years only gets you so far. They are equally as fustrated, so it`s not just me. Problem seems to be that the hotel and gas signs are up, but the trail signs are non excistant north of shawin. west, and down by trio rivers. I am refering to the main trails and secondary trails especially. So when planning a ride, take some extra thought into were your going, and have anothere plan as well, chances are, you`ll need it. hope the sign situation improves.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Been up in and around shawinigan for over a week now rideing. First off, conditions and people are excellent. However, with the excelent conditions comes poor to non-excistant signage! After thinking it was me who didn`t no how to read a map properly, started chatting with the localls on the trail(usually when we were lost). Memory of the trails from previose years only gets you so far. They are equally as fustrated, so it`s not just me. Problem seems to be that the hotel and gas signs are up, but the trail signs are non excistant north of shawin. west, and down by trio rivers. I am refering to the main trails and secondary trails especially. So when planning a ride, take some extra thought into were your going, and have anothere plan as well, chances are, you`ll need it. hope the sign situation improves.[/b]
It is impossible to put up 3000 signs in one week, However by the 15 th of Jan all should be up. Also if you want to see the signes SLOW DOWN.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Been up in and around shawinigan for over a week now rideing. First off, conditions and people are excellent. However, with the excelent conditions comes poor to non-excistant signage! After thinking it was me who didn`t no how to read a map properly, started chatting with the localls on the trail(usually when we were lost). Memory of the trails from previose years only gets you so far. They are equally as fustrated, so it`s not just me. Problem seems to be that the hotel and gas signs are up, but the trail signs are non excistant north of shawin. west, and down by trio rivers. I am refering to the main trails and secondary trails especially. So when planning a ride, take some extra thought into were your going, and have anothere plan as well, chances are, you`ll need it. hope the sign situation improves.[/b]
Good advice except I've ridden with Rkraiza if he goes any lower the groomer would pass him!!! haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that there are no signs. Just came back from trip that was planned from Berthereville to Latouque. After many head scratchs was never able to find 347 up to 318 and ended up in Saint Raymond. Ride was still excellent trails are 9.5 and put on almost 400 miles in two days. I am glad to here that it was not just us. We gave up with the map and just rode and waited to see where we ended up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is impossible to put up 3000 signs in one week, However by the 15 th of Jan all should be up. Also if you want to see the signes SLOW DOWN.[/b]
Hey bernard, get over yourself! Rides i took were excellent and slow. was with my girl the hole time so you draw your own conclusions.. Secondly, this info was to help anyone going in that area, not to bash the great work the sled clubs do. Like I stated before, the trails and the poeple are EXCELLENT. Last time i checked, this website was suppose to be of a service for sleders looking for current trail conditions and obsticls. hope this helps...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey bernard, get over yourself! Rides i took were excellent and slow. was with my girl the hole time so you draw your own conclusions.. Secondly, this info was to help anyone going in that area, not to bash the great work the sled clubs do. Like I stated before, the trails and the poeple are EXCELLENT. Last time i checked, this website was suppose to be of a service for sleders looking for current trail conditions and obsticls. hope this helps...[/b]
Lets put it this way, If the signs are bad after the 15th Jan, The shit is going to hit the Fan. and your post was very good. I was just trying to let the boys in on a little secret of how long it takes to get signs put up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Bernard, you need more signs to your place, this the 6th year I got lost trying to get back to your place. What is the problem? Steve.

·
Registered
140 Posts
just follow the comfort inn signs[/b]
Uhhhhh??????...., 351 to M2. How tough is that? Too many Relay stops for the Molsin Drys.
You ought a try riding in NH. Its fuk'in impossible to find your way home down here.!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey bernard, get over yourself! Rides i took were excellent and slow. was with my girl the hole time so you draw your own conclusions.. Secondly, this info was to help anyone going in that area, not to bash the great work the sled clubs do. Like I stated before, the trails and the poeple are EXCELLENT. Last time i checked, this website was suppose to be of a service for sleders looking for current trail conditions and obsticls. hope this helps...[/b]
OK enough... If you cant follow the signs in Quebec then give up. Its the only place on planet earth you can ride huge distances WITHOUT A MAP.
I was up 2 weeks ago in Shawinigan for 4 days., and we hit every trail up there. Unless the local kids are tearing down the sign posts I cant imagine WTF the problem is. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey Bernard, you need more signs to your place, this the 6th year I got lost trying to get back to your place. What is the problem? Steve.[/b]
Just follow ANDY. I need a set of Snow tires (4) for my V.W. Gulf Size P-195-65-R15 Name of tire, SNOWBLAZER SAXON. Whats the price on them.???? This is a real canadian snow tire made for snow and ice. Hope you can find them. I will put a MUFFLER at each fork so you can get back.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I just got back today and can attest to there are very few signs to the west or southwest of Shawinigan. Rest were pretty good. We had a hell of a time riding in heavy fog and no signs Sunday evening. Again, its only a small area that is missing.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
just got back myself, looked into why we couldn't find trail, and it turns out the trail is closed for season, this is 347 from st boniface to shawinigin.

Oh yea, and that fog yest going across the open areas with no trees was dangerous as hell, not enough marker posts, if it was snowing it would have been the same issue

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got back myself, looked into why we couldn't find trail, and it turns out the trail is closed for season, this is 347 from st boniface to shawinigin.

Oh yea, and that fog yest going across the open areas with no trees was dangerous as hell, not enough marker posts, if it was snowing it would have been the same issue[/b]
...well then, is that why 347 ends at escapade and we ended up in someones back yard??? (nice guy though)I think it was one of the trails on the map that wasn't really there or in the wrong spot. Still had an excellent ride though!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
...well then, is that why 347 ends at escapade and we ended up in someones back yard??? (nice guy though)I think it was one of the trails on the map that wasn't really there or in the wrong spot. Still had an excellent ride though![/b]
I was using gps with the gps quebec map installed so i knew exactly where the trail was suppose to be, found the turn, it was a vtt trail and then it turned away from the sled trail, rode down the road to find the trail again via gps, found some signs but no tracks and then lost it thru someone yard, so we turned around and followed vtt trail until back on trail 3 and went south of shawinigon before taking m5 trail, a little detour sign would help wonders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts