Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At close to 60 years old and wearing glasses the last 15 years, Im making the switch to contacts. My last eye appointment the doctor made the measurements and sent me home with soft daily contacts.

So far so good. I’m not setting speed records putting them in or out but the end payoff will be worth it.

I will need two separate prescriptions, one lense for distance and one for reading. They sent me home for two weeks to see how it goes with just the distance prescription . First thing I did when I got home was pull out the Northern Minnesota NSST trail map. Still fuzzy, but I’m going all in for contacts and sledding.

No more fogged glasses.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,805 Posts
I've been wearing contacts for about 40+ years. I do NOT like the two different contacts, one for distance and one for reading. People say your eyes adjust, but it just didn't work for me. Quite honestly I'm completely fine grabbing a pair of cheaters as needed, to keep my distance sight perfect in BOTH eyes. Just my preference.

But you will be happy ditching the glasses if you give the contacts a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
At close to 60 years old and wearing glasses the last 15 years, Im making the switch to contacts. My last eye appointment the doctor made the measurements and sent me home with soft daily contacts.

So far so good. I’m not setting speed records putting them in or out but the end payoff will be worth it.

I will need two separate prescriptions, one lense for distance and one for reading. They sent me home for two weeks to see how it goes with just the distance prescription . First thing I did when I got home was pull out the Northern Minnesota NSST trail map. Still fuzzy, but I’m going all in for contacts and sledding.

No more fogged glasses.
I am running up on 50 and have had contacts for 25 yrs. I was wearing the stupid cheaters and my dr asked if i wanted to try the one close/on distance contacts ( i dont recall the name). Your dominant eye is distance, not dominant close. He said they dont work for everyone but worked for me. Love them,

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
I've been wearing contacts for about 40+ years. I do NOT like the two different contacts, one for distance and one for reading. People say your eyes adjust, but it just didn't work for me. Quite honestly I'm completely fine grabbing a pair of cheaters as needed, to keep my distance sight perfect in BOTH eyes. Just my preference.

But you will be happy ditching the glasses if you give the contacts a chance.
He told me something like 50% it doesnt work at all, 25% can tolerate it and 25% works perfectly. Practice makes perfect on inserting, give time time and you will be able to take them out drunk without a mirror. (y)

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,805 Posts
He told me something like 50% it doesnt work at all, 25% can tolerate it and 25% works perfectly. Practice makes perfect on inserting, give time time and you will be able to take them out drunk without a mirror. (y)
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have taken my contacts out while driving to switch to my glasses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have worn both glasses and contacts for years depending on what I have planned for my day. One option I do really like are the pro Vue prescription goggles for sledding, I wear those sledding as often as I wear my contacts, the reason being is that my eyes are significantly more sensitive to light while wearing contacts than they are wearing glasses, quite often I would need sunglasses when I would have been fine with my prescription glasses. I would also strongly suggest a spare set of contacts or glasses with you while you are sledding or at work, I have lost a few contacts while riding.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
138 Posts
Got pulled over for doing 65 on a trail several years ago. DEC officer said “Do you know how fast you were going?” I replied “I haven’t been able to read anything within three feet of my face since I turned forty”. The cop started laughing and said “Me too, slow down and have a good day”.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A couple thoughts, as with others I’ve been wearing contacts for longer than I haven’t lol. Disposables are expensive, to lessen the cost I get 3 or 4 days out of a set. I use disinfectant at night like with traditional soft contacts, just be careful as disposables are thinner and tear easy. The second is after a day of riding I find my contacts dry out from all the air movement and are hard to remove from my eyes if I try to take them out soon after returning home. Either wait a while to remove contacts or give your eyes a squirt of saline. I’ve tried riding with glasses and while I can contacts are far superior. Tom

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
If your presbyopia is real bad, they do make multi-focus contacts. I know someone who has them and finds them to work well for her.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,702 Posts
I've learned enough in this thread to reinforce my previous decisions. I'll never wear contacts or progressive lenses and will use bifocals the rest of my seeing days. I'm happy with my Doo Modular keeping my glasses fog free.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
I've learned enough in this thread to reinforce my previous decisions. I'll never wear contacts or progressive lenses and will use bifocals the rest of my seeing days. I'm happy with my Doo Modular keeping my glasses fog free.
What have you learned? I wouldn't trade my near/distance contacts for nothing. Having a set of glasses stashed everywhere to read anything i avoid again until the contacts dont work

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,063 Posts
I've done both for riding for many years. Contacts are great since you don't have to worry about the glasses falling off when you take the helmet off and on but the dry air can be a problem along with air leaks on the helmets and when it's plain ole' - zero temps out. But glasses can have the same problems when all of those things occur as well. Having used both for many years I've decided that Cat Crap on the glasses along with just using a breath deflector helmet (used those Modulars for years also) works just fine for me. YMMV but I'm happy with my choice.

Steve 60.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,702 Posts
What have you learned? I wouldn't trade my near/distance contacts for nothing. Having a set of glasses stashed everywhere to read anything i avoid again until the contacts dont work

That having a near lense and a far lenses is not for me. Same for Lasix. To each his own.

Reactions: Mag6240

·
Registered
127 Posts
A couple thoughts, as with others I’ve been wearing contacts for longer than I haven’t lol. Disposables are expensive, to lessen the cost I get 3 or 4 days out of a set. I use disinfectant at night like with traditional soft contacts, just be careful as disposables are thinner and tear easy. The second is after a day of riding I find my contacts dry out from all the air movement and are hard to remove from my eyes if I try to take them out soon after returning home. Either wait a while to remove contacts or give your eyes a squirt of saline. I’ve tried riding with glasses and while I can contacts are far superior. Tom
Dry eye starting !

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm a contact wearer and I keep a bottle of Blink eyedrops with me meant for contacts. They moisten them back up when the wind dries them out and they start feeling sticky. Otherwise, next thing you know they fall out and i'm blind as a bat again lol Get the drops at walgreens or any drugstore type place. A couple drops at lunch for good measure and you're good rest of the day.

I've tried the bifocal contacts and they didn't work for me. Not to say that's the case for everyone though.

I've seen guys bigger than me that can wear glasses under full face helmets without fogging and I am jealous.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
MX helmet was the cure for me. Being able to see 100% of the time regardless of whether in my contacts or glasses is huge. A few years back I took it when step further and had laser surgery. BEST money I have ever spent. Still wear the MX. Will never go back to a foggy or super heavy full face again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts