Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas~
I have a 1998 AC ZR500. On my last ride last season the lights and tach stopped working. Engine runs great. I found that part of the main wiring harness had been rubbing and it frayed part of the harness. So I finally purchased the complete new main wiring harness and installed it. (pain in the ass!) :banghead:

But here I am now where there are still no lights at all and the tach does not work but the engine runs fine. I started reviewing the wiring and everything is connected exactly how it should be based on the service manual.

I have heard that these sleds will fry the stator coil often (known issue?). Is this my the cause? Is the stator also known as the "Lighting Coil"? Any suggestions on testing or what else to look for before I spend $400 for a new stator? :dunno:

Please help!
Thanks in advance..... :div20:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
cooked the ac circuit in stator more than likely,,,,,,the fraying more than likely shorted the ac circuit when it rubbed through, thus allowing the cooking

edit: you already checked the connections, imo,,, the stator, with ohmmeter, readings from one yellow to the other yellow should read no more than 2.0 ohms(this allows for resistance of leads from meter, anything higher is cooked

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to hear from you again Cnote, you have helped me in the past. This is what I thought too. I will do some more tests on it this weekend. I did a static check (engine not running) and the resistance was not in spec. No corrosion. I will put the ol meter on her to see if any output. Anything else that you can think of or is it cut and dry that its the stator?

Thanks! :beerchug:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by Bizerk@Sep 27 2005, 08:42 PM
Nice to hear from you again Cnote, you have helped me in the past. This is what I thought too. I will do some more tests on it this weekend. I did a static check (engine not running) and the resistance was not in spec. No corrosion. I will put the ol meter on her to see if any output. Anything else that you can think of or is it cut and dry that its the stator?

Thanks! :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896166
[/quote]
if it has more resistance than what i posted above OR(last second thought)any type of short from one yellow to ground(testing one wire at a time from wire to ground), it's stator

edit: did you heck/unplug the regulator by any chance? :dunno:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hhmmm....regulator...um no I havn't checked that yet :frech32:
Will check this weekend and will let you know. Thanks! :div20: :beer:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me last year. I don't know much about Cats, but my problem was the wires that run to the taillight were frayed and grounding out on the bracket that holds the gas tank to the tunnel. Quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if you can run the sled take your volt meter and test any yellow wire to see if you have any power if no power your done sators are comon an these cats should have 13 to14 volts before reg and 12 volts after reg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bizerk, Have you fixed the issue? If you have what was it I am having the same issue with my 2002 ZR 800 and any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
happend to my sled, I did the same thing replaced the wireing harness and it was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
my friend said on the f5 they were workin on the same thing happened and it ended up being the voltage regulator i think. somethin like that it was about 60 bucks for the part.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If it was a voltage regulator p[roblem you probably smoked the light bulbs in the tach and speedo.Replace one and start it, if it fries it right away you know it is the regulator

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced the stator and voltage regulator. That fixed it. It was the stator that was not outputting the voltage. I just replaced the voltage reg while I was at it. Everything works now! But now I have a new sled too!!! :banana:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts