Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY 98 POWDER EXTREME. MY TETHER SWITCH WAS GIVING ME PROBLEMS CAP WAS NOT STAYING ON BUMPY TRAILS, I WAS GOING TO REPLACE IT WITH NEW ONE(NORMALLY OPEN) BUT I DISCONNECTED IT AND PUT THE WIRES BACK ON THE KEY SWITCH AND NOW I START THE SLED AND HAVE NO KILL OR KEY SWITCH. I PUT A METER ON KEY SWITCH AND KILL SWITCH AND THE ARE WORKING. COULD IT BE A BAD GROUND ?????? OR BAD CONNECTORS???? OR AM I MISSING THE PICTURE HERE?????

·
Registered
828 Posts
Usually when the key and stop button won't shut off the sled it's because coolant spilled on the connectors between cdi and stator. Try cleaning connections and put dielectric grease on them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What about the problem I was having with the throttle switch, their is a safty device in side, that will kill the sled if it thinks the throttle is broken, replaced the bushings and same problem, is this a bad switch, I heard their is away to drill something in the throttle switch to prevent the sled from dieing, this only happends at low idle when your not pressing the throttle. Or come to a stop and are not pressing the throttle

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked all grounds and harnesses how could i check the CDI unit, also i have a friend that has 2 ZRT one 800 ond 600 from different years, that i could salvage CDI off them, but I looked on ALPHA SPORTS MICRO FIC and they have different numbers for 800 and 600 for every year

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you have spark cdi is good. Either works or it don't.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the CDI from the 96 zrt 600 and it worked but it was opposite ( normally closed) the CDI from 97 zrt 800 and the result was the same. I did a lake run with both of them and no problem. Instead of buying a new CDI for $500 would it hurt if I switch key and kill switch or take it to a dealer with a CDI tester, or are the timing advances different?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 98 zrt powder extremes arctic cat used zr style bars and controls normally open, round type kill switch, all other zrt have the square type kill switch, and the 800 zrt had a different timing curve because the sled runs a little different, seems like a higher ramp on the advance, by using my egt's gage it runs leaner in the middle to top end, a little more snappy but a lot hotter. Should I change to bigger jets or run the 96 zrt cdi box which gave the same results as my 98 box. Has any tuner been reading this post that they have switched cdi boxes for better performance from year to year or cc to cc . I calling a dealer today hope they can help.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts