Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,093 Posts
you paid for the torque link license i can flash it to the 2020 tune. never thought of it? well i did but don't know how that would work with the mods?probably should have tried it? worse case scenario i blow it up we take all the shit off it and you get a 2020 motor. probably getting sick of driving from M.E. to N.H. but it takes 10 minutes tops to do that. and you don't have to unload it. i can do it right in your truck. Joey might spank me but oh well been spanked before. if it's something you want to try? when ever show up and i will do it. remember i can run out of state sleds in N.H. i know people at fish&game. put over 200 miles on a registered new Brunswick Canadian sled in N.H. they run just one plate left hand side riveted to the chassis. and i got stopped. one call cleared and on my way. pays to know people. sleds with V.T.,M.E., P.A., Quebec, N.B., P.E.I., N.S., N.Y.,M.A.,C.T.,R.I. registration only etc. are common place.
Here's where I'm at with my thinking. I still feel there is an underlying issue with my sled in its stock form and I have high hopes that the TPS is the culprit. At this point I've paid for the Stage 2 BMP kit. I've paid for Rick's clutch kit. HyGear shocks all the way around. Altered Gearing, Track, Skis, and loads of accessories up the Wazoo. A big reason why I didn't want to give up on this sled last year. It handles awesome and has a great custom look in my opinion. Gonna take a lot of time to go through this sled and return it to its complete stock form. I'm not giving away any free accessories to the dealer on a trade in that will surely be a kick in the balls.

We know the clutch kit works great in most of the 850's. A few 850's seem to have trouble with aggressive clutching?? I feel this is a problem that Poo is handing to us with overprotective ECU mapping. This sled was driven in it's complete stock form before I started any mods and it wasn't anything special that excited me. I was expecting for the stock 850 to impress me and I spent a whole Summer getting pumped up to pick it up in the Fall. After all, I did drink the whole bucket of 850 Poo-Laid that was laid out for me when the new 850 was unveiled. My first impressions of my stock 850 was OK at best and a bit of a let down if anything. I suppose I could strip it down to a stock form again and re-flash the 2020 Poo flash to see if it fixes my hanging idle and over fueling? THEN WHAT?? If it works I get to ride a stock 850? "NOT" A stock 850 sled that I felt was way less exciting than every one of my modded 800's. I DIDN'T SPEND ALL THIS MONEY TO TAKE BACKWARDS STEPS!! If it comes down to stripping this bitch back to stock and the 2020 flash fixes it?? GREAT, I can then sell it to someone. Right now this sled is a trade in only sled. I couldn't sell this to someone and feel good about it.

I run a lot of average size tighter trails and love the quicker revving rip of the 800. It spools up way faster in stock form and just feels more impressive to me over the 850. The stock 850 feels smoother, spools up slower in the lower rpm range and in my opinion doesn't start to show any quick spooling rip until after it reaches 6000rpm. Honestly, mine feels tame below 6000rpm. It may be as fast or in the same ballpark as the 800 in stock form but it feels boring down low. Kind of like a E-Tec or even slightly 4 strokey. It just doesn't have the raw rippy two stroke snap that the 800 has. So do I have interest in going back to a 2020 flash and running my sled in its stock 850 form? Not at all!! Sure it would be nice to see that Poo did or didn't get a mapping program in 2020 to fix this turd but I honestly feel it is a gamble if it fixes anything. If it's just a fuel and timing mapping issue than BMP failed me to provide good running mapping.

Rick could provide a list of every dam thing he did looking for the root cause of my issue. I thank him for all the time he put in last year and this year. At this point the last unchecked smoking gun would be that the TPS is out of wack? I will try to find a dealer I feel confidence with that can adjust the non adjustable TPS on this 850. I'm afraid of what a lot of dealers are going to tell me when I ask them if they can do this for me. Should be comical but we will see?? If this doesn't work I will then go to BMP and tell them I tried everything to make their 20+hp Stage 2 kit work in my sled. I was told by them that with their Torque Link flash my hanging idle would be gone. If it isn't the TPS my next guess is that my BMP mapping isn't working with my sled. My issue is the Idle hang and the over fueling along with a Stage 2 kit that so far is a huge under achiever.

I have talked to one guy that said his Stage 1 BMP mapping was horrible. He went back to the POO 2020 and said that was much better. I'm now reading other posts of other people un-impressed. I'm going to call them to get their full findings. Given my sled has been a challenge I haven't felt comfortable with knocking the BMP Stage 2 set up yet. I will get the TPS looked at and then if not running like a champ I will give BMP a chance to work it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i know this post is old but anyone figure a solid answer for the problem? ive got 4500 miles on my 2019 and getting worse. TIA

·
Registered
292 Posts
i know this post is old but anyone figure a solid answer for the problem? ive got 4500 miles on my 2019 and getting worse. TIA
I’m thinking it’s the crank bearing, especially the PTO bearing, which would explain why aggressive clutching made it way worse because it changes the forces on the bearings. My 19 had it, I traded in this year for a VR1 and within two weeks the 19s engine blew while idling in the dealers parking lot. They opened it up and the bearing had completely fell apart, no blockages in the oil lines/pump either. I had made adjustments to the clutch while I owned it which did make it worse. They’ve solved the bearing issues for 20, 21 and there doesn’t seem to be anymore complaints of hanging throttle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’m thinking it’s the crank bearing, especially the PTO bearing, which would explain why aggressive clutching made it way worse because it changes the forces on the bearings. My 19 had it, I traded in this year for a VR1 and within two weeks the 19s engine blew while idling in the dealers parking lot. They opened it up and the bearing had completely fell apart, no blockages in the oil lines/pump either. I had made adjustments to the clutch while I owned it which did make it worse. They’ve solved the bearing issues for 20, 21 and there doesn’t seem to be anymore complaints of hanging throttle.
I have a 2020 Khaos and it still does it. I have tried Indy Specialties clutching and stock but it was the same either way. I did just get the latest reflash a few weeks ago but I have not had the chance to try it since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2020 Khaos and it still does it. I have tried Indy Specialties clutching and stock but it was the same either way. I did just get the latest reflash a few weeks ago but I have not had the chance to try it since.
update just had reflash (newest) done and problem solved rode 350 miles no troubles and bonus much less oil only used 1 quart in 225 miles

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
had reflash done today. First impression while warming it up was that sled seemed to run richer during warmup, like it was put back into break-in mode. Guess I'll see tomorrow - going for a 150 mile overnight trip.
Mine also had the "cruise control" for several seconds after letting off the throttle.
My oil consumption also has been inconsistent lately - using close to 3% on the latest trips

·
Registered
542 Posts
update just had reflash (newest) done and problem solved rode 350 miles no troubles and bonus much less oil only used 1 quart in 225 miles
I got out today for the first time after the reflash. Engine runs crisp and it has good throttle response. Not sure if I noticed the hanging idle as much but we are supposed to go again tomorrow so I will pay more attention to it.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
back from my overnight trip. Havent tanked up with gas & oil yet so will have to come back with the numbers tomorrow.

But, the hanging idle is gone.
I'd say my sled feels slightly less crisp - but then I've run it in the ethanol setting to avoid those dreaded dET codes that requires engine to be turned off. I'll give it a try now in non-eth and see what happens

·
Registered
59 Posts
back from my overnight trip. Havent tanked up with gas & oil yet so will have to come back with the numbers tomorrow.

But, the hanging idle is gone.
I'd say my sled feels slightly less crisp - but then I've run it in the ethanol setting to avoid those dreaded dET codes that requires engine to be turned off. I'll give it a try now in non-eth and see what happens
i read somewhere here about the exhaust valves need to be reprogrammed with flashes Is that part of the reflash process or something different?

·
Registered
2020 850 Indy xc 137
36 Posts
Personally, I'd be suspicious of a poorly set/faulty TPS. These are not adjustable and are set by airflow when made at supplier. If this isn't done correctly, and it wasn't on the 800's, it will be a potential problem IMO. If it reads low at idle, it may reduce fuel flow enough to cause this. The reflash might be making this worse.

The shop manual gives detailed info about how to test it with Digital Wrench. I'll bet few dealers even look at it. You must perform a sweep test as well to check for erratic or jumpy voltage. Some causes are poor wiring connections, loose TPS, etc. Entire T-Body must be replaced if TPS is bad.

Throttle cable slack is a potential factor only if the adjustment is too tight. The manual tells you to disconnect the cable and check if TPS voltage changes. If it does, it was too tight. The 850 spec at idle is .86V +/- .05VDC

An alternative way to do this is with a Bully Dog GT gauge, etc. displaying throttle percent and an O2 sensor being monitored while running a good one versus a bad one.
I agree with patriot,my 2020 850 will only do this if I in non ethanol mode,if I'm in e10 it never does it,that change in mapping is not going to make up for or a vaccum leak or any other kind of engine issues,it's definitely a sensor or some kind of ECU glitch.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts