Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 850 has the hanging idle/throttle at about 5,000 rpm. Dealer just updated it with latest map and did a re-learn on the power valves after I cleaned them. Sled is running good again but still has the hanging idle which is very frustrating when going into a turn etc... dealer opened a case with Polaris but is not optimistic on a fix.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,093 Posts
I too am interested in what they have to say. I have the same hanging idle that re-flashing hasn't fixed?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No clue, my dealer said there have been 4 map changes since my original one in my 2020 sled

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
No clue, my dealer said there have been 4 map changes since my original one in my 2020 sled
So let me get this straight. For the 850 there was the original 2019 program. They released a 2019.5 re-flash. Then the 2020 came out with there new tune for 2020. Four new map changes added since?
PLEASE BE SURE TO REPORT BACK IF YOUR DEALER FINDS A FLASH THAT FIXES YOUR HANGING IDLE. I'm going to keep riding mine until I hear they have found something that fixes the issue. "THANKS"

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro-S 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,583 Posts
Are you running stock clutching?

My 2020 850 has the hanging idle/throttle at about 5,000 rpm. Dealer just updated it with latest map and did a re-learn on the power valves after I cleaned them. Sled is running good again but still has the hanging idle which is very frustrating when going into a turn etc... dealer opened a case with Polaris but is not optimistic on a fix.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2020 XCR has the hanging idle as well. The severity varies depending on clutching setup, but I have gone back to completely stock clutching to see if that would fix it, but it is still present. Not as drastic as other setups, but very much still there and noticeable.

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro-S 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,583 Posts
My 2019 had it bad. My 2020 hasn't had it at all. Any clutching other than OEM made it worse for my 2019.

Reactions: MunsonAuto

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well it isn't right to have to suffer with lame ass stock clutching just to avoid having the issue? WTF :wall:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes he did. When I continually complained about the idle. I was in the last month of my warranty. Completely rebuilt the motor under warranty at 7000 miles. I only had to pay for new pistons.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes he did. When I continually complained about the idle. I was in the last month of my warranty. Completely rebuilt the motor under warranty at 7000 miles. I only had to pay for new pistons.

What dealer?
Why did you have to pay for the pistons, they were going to put the ones with 7K back in?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Babbitt's in Muskegon, MI. Polaris wouldn't warranty the pistons because there wasn't anything wrong with them. Compression checked good and the pistons looked fine. I had the option to replace them at my cost or use the old ones. So I got a complete rebuild for the price of two pistons. That's a good deal in my book.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
'19 SBA here. Did not notice any hanging issues with either of the 2019 maps, but noticed now after getting the 2020 map that rpms are slower to come down when letting off the throttle when riding around 30 mph. Stock clutching

·
Registered
190 Posts
^^ 2019 SBA here too.

No issues with original 19 flash.

Had 2020 flash installed at start of season, and put on an aftermarket can. Clutching is stock.

Runs great. No DET codes or otherwise, but idle does hang a bit when sled slows to a stop now. Doesn't hinder braking, but noticed the change right away.

About 650 miles on sled now, with lots of off trail. Never had any starting issues. Still on original spark plugs. Will probably pull them at the end of the season out of curiosity.

·
Vendor
10,291 Posts
i have a 2019 xc 850 and have done and tried everything. run as much as 80 grams of weight. geared lower/higher run 10 different mfg. weights etc. up to 2.5 degree timing key, never had any hanging idle, back fire out of the can etc. now have a SLP head on it and team tied. also have two 850's in our riding group. all clutched different. no hanging idle with any of them. so i can say without a shadow of a doubt it's not clutching. i have ridden and worked on the sled mentioned. it has the hanging idle? and now has a stage 2 BMP torque link tune. i'am leaning to crank seal leak or intake leak at this time. it is not fueling or clutching. something else going on? and i wounder about that pto crank bearing after hearing about one of our customers having dropping rpm issue's? it got worse and worse until it locked up tight. welded the pto bearing to the crank wheel. it had also pushed the seal out. so bearing was moving both out and in. it was also hanging the idle the last few rides. 2019 being covered but no cranks? or 2020 motors? back ordered. wounder why that is?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have a 2019 xc 850 and have done and tried everything. run as much as 80 grams of weight. geared lower/higher run 10 different mfg. weights etc. up to 2.5 degree timing key, never had any hanging idle, back fire out of the can etc. now have a SLP head on it and team tied. also have two 850's in our riding group. all clutched different. no hanging idle with any of them. so i can say without a shadow of a doubt it's not clutching. i have ridden and worked on the sled mentioned. it has the hanging idle? and now has a stage 2 BMP torque link tune. i'am leaning to crank seal leak or intake leak at this time. it is not fueling or clutching. something else going on? and i wounder about that pto crank bearing after hearing about one of our customers having dropping rpm issue's? it got worse and worse until it locked up tight. welded the pto bearing to the crank wheel. it had also pushed the seal out. so bearing was moving both out and in. it was also hanging the idle the last few rides. 2019 being covered but no cranks? or 2020 motors? back ordered. wounder why that is?
Rick, is there any way we can test the crank seal or will a dealer need to ?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
18,050 Posts
Personally, I'd be suspicious of a poorly set/faulty TPS. These are not adjustable and are set by airflow when made at supplier. If this isn't done correctly, and it wasn't on the 800's, it will be a potential problem IMO. If it reads low at idle, it may reduce fuel flow enough to cause this. The reflash might be making this worse.

The shop manual gives detailed info about how to test it with Digital Wrench. I'll bet few dealers even look at it. You must perform a sweep test as well to check for erratic or jumpy voltage. Some causes are poor wiring connections, loose TPS, etc. Entire T-Body must be replaced if TPS is bad.

Throttle cable slack is a potential factor only if the adjustment is too tight. The manual tells you to disconnect the cable and check if TPS voltage changes. If it does, it was too tight. The 850 spec at idle is .86V +/- .05VDC

An alternative way to do this is with a Bully Dog GT gauge, etc. displaying throttle percent and an O2 sensor being monitored while running a good one versus a bad one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts