Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just bought a 5500.00 dollar machine at work for filling car and truck tires. has anybody on here filled there floats with nitogen. thay say nitrogen leaks out slower because the molacule is much larger than o2. also helps with corsion. just wondering if any one has tried this yet. i have had no problem with leaking after 1500 mi. since i can do it for free at work im going to do mine. it cost 6 to8 dollars to fill a car or truck tire.
barry

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
i think ti would not work as good beacuse as it stands now, you can adjust on the trial using a little pump, not going to be able to do that if your using nitrogen. and im thinkin nitro is a different weight than air, so psi's will be different

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can't put nitro into those shox. You can't even use compressed air in them. That why they provide you with the little hand pump. If you try to use compressed air or nitro you'll blow the seals. Call Fox and ask for details.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by HOLESHOT27@Oct 4 2005, 10:55 AM
You can't even use compressed air in them.
You cant use compressed air in Floats? You gotta be kidding. What do you think the pump puts into them? :frech32:

I dont see any reason why nitrogen wouldnt work. But I dont really see any advantages either. There will be no difference from the weight of nitrogen. Wether its 50 PSI air, 50 PSI nitrogen or 50 PSI of Fart it will all be the same pressure. :div20:

·
Registered
416 Posts
ACF700! Air out of a hand pump is not the same as air out of an air compressor! Call Fox! Incase you were wondering a combination of nitrogen and synthetic oil are what sets the float height. If the shock was designed to use nitrogen instead of air pressure to set the "adjustable progressive air spring pressure" buy using the "air chamber filler valve" don't you think they would have called it the adjustable progressive nitrogen spring pressure? and possibly the nitrogen chamber filler valve???

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I say fill it with fifty pounds of fart air, that would by far be the best handling and ride across the stutter bumps. :banana:

:beer: FF

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yeah, basically what is the difference between compressed air and nitrogen? Nitrogen is cleaner and drier then compressed air, I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by HOLESHOT27@Oct 4 2005, 09:00 AM
ACF700! Air out of a hand pump is not the same as air out of an air compressor!  Call Fox! Incase you were wondering a combination of nitrogen and synthetic oil are what sets the float height. If the shock was designed to use nitrogen instead of air pressure to set the "adjustable progressive air spring pressure" buy using the "air chamber filler valve" don't you think they would have called it the adjustable progressive nitrogen spring pressure? and possibly the nitrogen chamber filler valve???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907193
[/quote]
the atomshere is primarly made up of n2. you get more controled rates without the other contaminating elements. you can use a air hose if you have a regulated air supply. they tell you not to use a compressor because most people don't have it regulated under 100 psi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by HOLESHOT27@Oct 4 2005, 11:30 AM
ACF700! Air out of a hand pump is not the same as air out of an air compressor!  Call Fox! Incase you were wondering a combination of nitrogen and synthetic oil are what sets the float height. If the shock was designed to use nitrogen instead of air pressure to set the "adjustable progressive air spring pressure" buy using the "air chamber filler valve" don't you think they would have called it the adjustable progressive nitrogen spring pressure? and possibly the nitrogen chamber filler valve???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907193
[/quote]

Whatever man. But weither you think so or not air comming from a compressor and air comming from the pump is the same thing. Its just ridiculous for you to say anything else. Of course its important to have the pressure right in both situations too. But compressed air is compressed air.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Oct 4 2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah, basically what is the difference between compressed air and nitrogen? Nitrogen is cleaner and drier then compressed air, I don't see how that would be a bad thing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907428
[/quote]

bingo, nitrogen will be dry, and wont change pressure as much with temp changes, as long as its to the right pressure i would use nitrogen in those shocks without worrying about it, in fact i have a tank in my garage i use for my dragbike for the tires and the air shifter. i never use compressed air on the dragbike only nitorgen.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
just some usless information for you guys. Nitrogen is also used in aircraft tires, especially those that are a pressurized aircraft, meaning they go higher. Nitrogen doesn't have water in it to freeze, regular air does. On the basic planes, 172's, pipers, small planes, compressed air is used, like a typical car. But the jet's, turbo props, that sort of thing, nitrogen, it is also used to pump up the oleo struts of all aircraft, not compressed air.

FF

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran nitrogen all year in my floats and put 93 hours on it with the pressure never changing. It worked well for me didnt matter if it was warm or cold.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The reason, aircraft and racecars use nitrogen is because it is basically inert to temperature change wheras o2 varies widely with change. Not a bad thing, most floating piston shocks use nitrogen for the charge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by S pump@Oct 4 2005, 07:18 PM
The reason, aircraft and racecars use nitrogen is because it is basically inert to temperature change wheras o2 varies widely with change. Not a bad thing, most floating piston shocks use nitrogen for the charge.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908191
[/quote]

I've heard this too but I cant understand it. Isnt the forula for gasses PV=nRT? P being pressure, v volume, n number of moles, R being a constant and T temperature. From what I can remember this formula applies to ALL gasses. So it kind of blows away that theory.

I think if anything would make a larger then normal difference to pressure it would have to be water being in the compressed air. As temp goes up, more evaporates causing higher pressure.

What do you guys think? I always wanted to know the real deal about the nitrogen in tires thing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts