Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our riding group never rides at night (well, very seldomly). We believe it increases our chances of something bad happening by about 400%, due to: 1) over 40mph, you are outdriving your headlight 2) drunk idiots 3) Urge to have "just a couple" when stopping at a watering hole at 9pm.

This rule has kept us out of trouble for a long time. Someone else responded that: "No night riding for safety? You must be nuts! The trails where I ride in central Vermont are narrow and twisty. Riding at night gives you the added advantage of seeing the lights coming at you around corners. I prefer riding at night because its the safest time!"

What are your thoughts?
-kj

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some areas have curfews on riding, but if you can I like night riding, not as many people out and yes you can see headlights from further away. Plus its pretty cool to stop in the middle of the night in the pitch black up in VT, NH you can see every star in the sky!!!!!

Ride hard, ride safe!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree 100%. We ride faster and safer at night because you can see the other guy well in advance on tight and twisty. With modern headlights, outdriving your lights only happens on real high speed trails.

If the other guys is wasted, I don't care because I will see him, pull over and let him go by.

Also, there is something special about being in the woods late a night, seeing the stars and hanging with your buds.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
You Most definatley see on comming riders much much better, but you don't have the feel for unfamiliar trails as well. I love night riding, but I stick to the areas I know best!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I generally ride in the daylite for the scenery. Start early get back by dark before the drunks get on the trail. But at night You can see a headlight coming at a greater distance. But most fatalities happen at night and include alcohol.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I really enjoy night riding. I too ride on tight twisty trails so at night I am better able to detect an on coming sled. Also, I am leader of our group, so it is always me who meets the clown on the wrong side of the trail. I do agree that you must be careful to not outride your headlight on wide open straights. I like riding at night because it makes you focus on reading the trail and the terrain because you really cannot see much else.

I do try and avoid the busy trails in/out of the local watering holes!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I prefer riding in the day time so you get to see what's around you. Although, I feel that the trails are easier to ride at night because of the lights of oncoming riders. As for going faster, I don't believe that to be true, you can easily out drive your headlight. I've done it enough. I guess then, for me, it's a toss up!

·
Registered
978 Posts
we ride faster and harder at night because u can see so much more and ur considtrated on the trail, the only problem i run into is people who stop on the trail at night around a corner... gotta watch out for them kinda people

I LOVE NIGHT RIDING, 5pm to 3am is the best riding in nh and vt

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ditch riding night is treacherous to say the least, what with drainage ditches and post to watch for. In the tight and twisty trails night riding is safer as you can see the headlights coming around the corner. I enjoy night riding on nice groomed trails but I am getting old and need more daylight to see what the trail is about to hand me..LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both sides have their points. The only thing that I would like to bring up is that during conditions like last year (not much snow and warm) the trails needed that extra time to set up after the nite groomer. That way the trails would last a little longer the next day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
night riding is awesome,hangin with your buds and hangin it all out...... also i like the fact that you can see the dips and moguls better at night.in the fields during the day you can't see them that good .NIGHT RIDING ON MONDAY,TUESDAY,WEDNESDAY,AND THURSDAY ARE PRESTINE...........

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nite riding is always fun in the twisties, it helps alot seeing oncoming headlights. You just have be be on the lookout for riders on the trail that stop for a break and don't turn their lights . :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
My buddies and I only ride at night(usually thursday)and rarely ride in the day.It seems to be alot easier to read the terrain ahead in the trails. Its easier to see knolls and valleys from the shadows cast from the headlights. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO, Night riding is far and away more fun then daylight rides.

Some of the things I like are:

The trails are less crowded. Your headlights "shadow" the bumps and dips that you'd never have seen in the daylight. The temperature is typically colder, so the sleds are running crisper. The starfield (and sometimes Northern Lights) overhead on a midnight trailbreak is a breathtaking site. You can see oncoming traffic in the twisties. It seems much easier to totally focus on the trail ahead without all the peripheral distractions you can get during daylight hours.

But there are a few downsides to night riding too.

SNOWDUST!!! (I'll be modifying my flap this year in an attempt to reduce this) Not enough gas stations open late at night. (Northern Wisconsin) Animals are more likely to be active and on the trails. (you'd better remain focused) SOME of the oncoming traffic may be a bit intoxicated so you'd better allow plenty of room. (there are daytime drinkers too, just not as many. Assume everybody is drunk, ALWAYS.) You definately miss out on a lot of natural beauty that you could see in the light.

Is one any safer then the other? (day vs night) I'd say NO. Safety is directly proportional to the amount of active gray matter in the helmet of the clown behind the bars. Keep yours sharp and you can have a safe ride ANY time your out.

Happy Trails,

Blackwolf

·
Registered
629 Posts
Amen Black wolf

·
Registered
827 Posts
i definately agree with blackwolf,,

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Wow... lots of nice responses here you guys! Kellyjames, are you a bit surprised at most of these answers??? :p -- Roy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really. I would agree, if it weren't for idiots, I would love to ride at night more....just that working like a dog in the city, we only get to ride on weekends, usually up north, and there seems to be alot of drinking going on from my vantage point, so we've always stayed away from night riding. I agree, on twisty trails, it is alot of fun at night...easy to read terrain, etc.

Alot of good points.... maybe we'll try it a bit more this year. Usually by 5pm we've put on 200+miles and are ready to hang it up anyway.

KJ

1 - 20 of 28 Posts