Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has had there sled started at night? And if so are you as disappointed as I am? Low beam is like a flash light, high beam seems ok but is narrow. Just from having it sit stationary in my driveway I miss the factory LED headlight from my 2017 ZR 9000, that was the best stock headlight I ever had, that or my 2012 Apex. These OEMs need to make these lights bigger like that on the Cats/ Yamaha's. Doo and Poo are too worried about looks IMO and make the housings too small. Just my early opinion, what do you all think?

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,342 Posts
I have not had the opportunity yet. Although I would assume it would at least be as good or better than what we have had on our Axys sleds.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I was playing with the adjustment. But it is the output not the adjustment range. I guess this is the good and bad with brand jumping, you find out the good and the bad with all the brands. With owning newer stuff from all 4 OEMs they definitely all have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Must be a perception thing, I've heard from many that the axys lights were some of the best available and that these are better. Picking the wife's up Saturday so I'll be able to chime in then. Is it just too focused for your liking and you wish it were more coverage? How far does it reach?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low beam just seems like not enough light output and high beam seems bright enough and possibly long enough but definitely not wide enough with the high powered flame. Outside of the high power it tails off quick. I wish it stayed as bright as it is but wider on high beam and then I'd be happy, even though low beam seems weak. But maybe I should get a chance to ride it before I get to critical about it. These are just my first impressions, just a bit disappointed and wanted to see if others felt the same as I.

·
Banned
21,472 Posts
I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. I know on my previous AXYS sleds, the LED headlights have been fantastic and so much better than anything else out there. Which is why I'd be shocked if Polaris went backwards with the lighting on these Matryx models. @TurboJamie posted a video clip the other day with how impressed he was with the headlights, so I guess it's just a matter of preference?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe on snow it is better as out of my garage/driveway on the grass it didn't look that good...But you can see in the video on high it doesn't really add much. So I hope poo knows what they were doing...

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like these were made to be good during snow at night or trailing in snow dust...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I personally don't love bright lights that just spread, that looks like it gets really good distance and is focused. Two things I would personally take over raw brightness.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep,the problem is that light that are too bright totally suck in any type of snow.
These new ones look like technology from some European cars.
I personally will take a bright light and deal with the snow. Because most of the time I lead and or it's not snowing and if it is just leave it on low beam. But we shall see with this new set up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The headlight on my 2005 Vector was really nice. And my 2009 Assault was pretty decent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,081 Posts
I'd wait until you ride it to form an opinion. I was able to experience this headlight last January in northern Minnesota. I thought the new headlight was amazing. It punches a hole straight down the trail on high, and doesn't waste any light up in the trees where it's not needed. The low beam lights up the whole area out in front of the machine without shining to high for oncoming traffic. I think it's much better than the Axys headlight.

·
Registered
MY21 850 SBA 146 w/ 2.0 Hybrid, Electric Start, Gripper Skis
43 Posts
I've done about 70% of my 160 miles at night since it gets dark around these parts at 4:30. I have to say I am really impressed with the headlight, and I am still fiddling with it to get it adjusted properly (I have to lift the hood a bit to get the adjustment knob... hand is too big to just reach in and turn it)! Every time I adjust it a bit it gets better and better! I will probably have to start over once my big boy springs come in and are installed but in my opinion will be worth it!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Maybe on snow it is better as out of my garage/driveway on the grass it didn't look that good...But you can see in the video on high it doesn't really add much. So I hope poo knows what they were doing...
The light is very good on the snow. Much better than I expected. The projection of the high beam will let you ride at a pretty good pace at night. I find mine needs to be turned up a little.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have not adjusted the headlight yet, but currently the Axys light is much better than this VR1 night blade. Another guy had the same complaint, dealer told him to adjust it also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts