Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F5

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well next year I decide I going to put in a bigger motor little more reliable and want to get way from the premix. I have seen that many people on here have done such conversion and I would like to get your opinion on what size motor to get and how you like it compared to a 440.

I can tell you that I want something that I can keep pinned longer and know its not going to lunch. And I want some thing that can get up to speed quick and I can do some mods to I dont much care about going 100 mph.

And how much would such a thing cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
well a f5 motor is going to have the same electrail and it will just about drop right in but is harder to find than a f7 or f6

·
Registered
23 Posts
Swap prices vary. The best way to do a swap is to buy a doner sled so you can take all the parts from it you need instead of hunting for the sometimes hard to find little nic nacs.

If you want to you can put the 440 lump back into the doner and sell it off.

I'd go with an F7 motor.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Swap prices vary. The best way to do a swap is to buy a doner sled so you can take all the parts from it you need instead of hunting for the sometimes hard to find little nic nacs.

If you want to you can put the 440 lump back into the doner and sell it off.

I'd go with an F7 motor.[/b]
I agree with the above statment..... find a donor sled, maybe a wrecked one etc... and take what you need to complete your SnoPro chassis/powerplant conversion.

I have been thinking of doing the VERY same thing with my sons 03 SnoPro for next season. Not sure what to do for power on that one either..... F5 would drop right in without any issues or worries in relations to pipe, wiring etc.... BUT an F 7 motor would be the Cats meow. Stealth little sled. :ylsuper:

We just rebuilt his 03 and HOPE to hell it makes the season without any issues.
Here's a couple of pics of the before durring and after the rebuild.......

Motor removed before rebuild.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Go with the 700 engine, it drops straight in. There´s only minor mods needed to fit the pipe, nothing big. I made the swap in a evening, just buy a complete engine with all the electrical stuff.. I have built two SP 440 with 700 efi engines in, one -04 and one -06

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you notice any wieght difference at all or handleing when jumping the sled?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did you notice any wieght difference at all or handleing when jumping the sled?[/b]
Well, i don´t think it was a big difference. Just a little harder to controll in the realy ruff trails but i don´t think you have the same trails that we have here. Cause here they are real narrow with BIG whoopies... But for the freeriding it was just great with the 700 engine, i used the std 440 gearing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We got the same kind of trails here. Did you stick with the stock secondary team clutch?

·
Registered
306 Posts
We got the same kind of trails here. Did you stick with the stock secondary team clutch?[/b]
Yes

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet sounds like if i found a motor and pulled an all nighter I could do it this year.

Does anyone know of anyone with a motor?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
wow, someone put alot of elbow grease into that one. what happened to the motor?[/b]
It wasn't too bad cleaning...... not too many hours really.
As for the motor, the pistons were scuffed up pretty good so we decided to tear it ALL
down to make certain nothing was in the base.
The photo of the motor and the pistons are after I pulled the cyls with the motor in place in the chassis.......
Well after the removal one piston was knocked hard enough to break the skirt, yup you guessed it, most pieces went into the base so
we would have had to tear it all down anyway.
All in all it was something we should have done anyway. This was a new to us sled so I didn't know what to expect.

Other than trying to burp the friggin' thing after refilling with coolant it's been pretty basic.
Burping these things SUX.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what you need is an f7 with a 900 or 1000 big bore, don't f**k around lol[/b]

HAHAHA yeah if you buy it I will.

I will try and keep some money in the bank before I start getting chased down for some payments. If I lived out west I would for sure think about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts