Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First reflash on my sled was done in Oct. 2019. Solved flooding problems on start up and gurgling at low speeds. Ran OK all last winter but oil consumption went up a lot. Lots of crap on plugs even after a hard run. Took sled into my dealer yesterday for the latest update on ECU(2021). Was told my sled had the latest ECU calibration on board. Tech reflashed just in case something had not taken. Got a printout with lots of numbers. Not sure what to make of it. Are we behind in Canada? I see guys on the site who have been updated this year. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There were at least 2 more availible to put into a 19. There is the 20 map. Which they may or may not have authorized anymore. And the 21 version which was available late in season last year. And still. Is. Maybe they are not looking in right spot on digital wrench. Or they need a call to tech support.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850,137 Lime Squeeze , 07 Phazer, 73 merc mark 2,73 merc mark 1
132 Posts
I had that latest flash done on my20 for over oiling at idle or just off of idle. it still does it. some do it and some don't. mine does it bad but only some times. if i come to a stop let it idle then start off and stop again for a split second it almost fouls the dam plugs and it struggles to go. then it clears it self out. Never did that in break in But then again I never let it idle when I stopped.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
224 Posts
Some on the forum have stated that switching to a BR8 plug (fromBR9) results in a much cleaner and crisper running sled, with no oil deposits left on the plugs

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Some on the forum have stated that switching to a BR8 plug (fromBR9) results in a much cleaner and crisper running sled, with no oil deposits left on the plugs
But is running the hotter plug SAFE for sustained,high speed runs? May cause an unhappy camper. 😫

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I don’t think it would. They have the protections so tight on these things you almost can’t blow em up without some catostophic failure. The slightest rattle and it would dump fuel pull timing and maybe slam the valves shut. Although I can’t really see how a plug one beat range hotter would make excess oil clean up. But maybe. I do agree that the oil usage is high especially for aggressive riders using extreme . I pull my plugs and they are black from oil. (Not fuel rich) .

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I’m hoping for 21 mapping that Polaris is ready to unchain this beast. They are holding it back on purpose (IMO) playing it wayyyy to safe. Wayyyyy to narrow on tuning perameters and protections. They need to unchain it. Look at the 800 HO. Took em a few years to let em loose. By 17 they were good by 18 and def 19 and 20 everybody says they run awesome and are animals. And they are right. Again imo it’s because poo was holding back on it. For a while .then they gave us the real deal. I’m guessing 850 same story

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I believe it’s been available since the very end of last season. Was to late for me to try it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 8 mo ago

Joey posted these changes

* Attention Polaris 850 Owners *
Breakdown of what changed on the 2020 mid season update flash #4019752

This Tune is Live in the Torque Link system already.

Some of the major changes vs the 2020 flash-
1. P and Mil codes - 1 turned off
2. Break-in minimum RPM - lowered to 3500 vs 5500
3. EV Mid - opens to mid position sooner ie lower RPM in low TPS zones
4. Fuel EV closed - modified richer and leaner in spots
5. Idle fuel modified
6. Idle ignition modified
7. Startup fuel modified
8. Ignition EV closed - less advance at very low tps.
9. Knock Ignition retard limit lowered
10. Knock Fuel add limit increased
11. Oil Ratio - Much leaner oil ratio on decell

If you would like to see the exact changes they are available in the Torque Link Developer package for the Polaris 850.

Hope this helps you, it's been out at least 8 months.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks "1fast444". Calibration #4019752 is on my report from 2 days ago. They told me this was what they installed last Oct. 2019. I thought there was another newer update.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had mine reflashed 2 weeks ago. I of course have no idea which one it was BUT i was surprised I had to pay the service to have the reflash done. THey put 2hrs down and cost me 168.00 Is that what everyone is seeing?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If your sled is under warranty. It should be approved by Polaris free of charge. For any complaint that the condition maybe remedied by the flash. Even so it takes minutes nit hours to flash. Sled.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
No charge on my flash update last week or the updated coolant sensor . Charged me 1/2 hour to relearn the exhaust valves and recalibrate the speedo after I changed gears, because i asked them too,.I'm totally fine with that.

·
Premium Member
17,021 Posts
I had mine reflashed 2 weeks ago. I of course have no idea which one it was BUT i was surprised I had to pay the service to have the reflash done. THey put 2hrs down and cost me 168.00 Is that what everyone is seeing?
This should be covered under warranty. Some dealers are rip off artists. A friend just told me he took his 2020 XCR 800 in for winter checkup service a few days ago to the dealer he bought it from. Dealer informed him his compression was only 56 psi in both cylinders yet it ran perfectly. Wanted $500 to fix it. Owner told them it was still under warranty so they opened a case with Polaris. It was denied for obvious reasons. He took it out of there right away. This same dealer did the same thing to another customer of mine. Told him he had no spark and needed a CDI and/or a stator. I inspected it and found that they had sabotaged it by bending the ignition pickup away from the flywheel. I fixed it in 1 hour. I've been to court about this dealer on a jetski where they did something similar. That dealer is in Brighton, MI. Never take anything there!.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No charge on my flash update last week or the updated coolant sensor . Charged me 1/2 hour to relearn the exhaust valves and recalibrate the speedo after I changed gears, because i asked them too,.I'm totally fine with that.
Was the coolant sensor bad or did they replace it because all of the problems Polaris had with them and you asked them to?

·
Registered
978 Posts
This should be covered under warranty. Some dealers are rip off artists. A friend just told me he took his 2020 XCR 800 in for winter checkup service a few days ago to the dealer he bought it from. Dealer informed him his compression was only 56 psi in both cylinders yet it ran perfectly. Wanted $500 to fix it. Owner told them it was still under warranty so they opened a case with Polaris. It was denied for obvious reasons. He took it out of there right away. This same dealer did the same thing to another customer of mine. Told him he had no spark and needed a CDI and/or a stator. I inspected it and found that they had sabotaged it by bending the ignition pickup away from the flywheel. I fixed it in 1 hour. I've been to court about this dealer on a jetski where they did something similar. That dealer is in Brighton, MI. Never take anything there!.
well that is very frustrating to hear that it should have been fixed under warranty. I think I will give them a call to see why I was charged. My 'guess' is that they are going to say that the sled was running fine and you voluntarily chose to do this update. I have had a number of battles with GM dealers on TSB and if they should be covered. Of course I said yes and after much haggling this was the case but it was not an easy road. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,021 Posts
well that is very frustrating to hear that it should have been fixed under warranty. I think I will give them a call to see why I was charged. My 'guess' is that they are going to say that the sled was running fine and you voluntarily chose to do this update. I have had a number of battles with GM dealers on TSB and if they should be covered. Of course I said yes and after much haggling this was the case but it was not an easy road. Thanks!
I would say that the sled was not running fine and that the reflash was done to fix that problem. Some of the issues it was designed to deal with was plug fouling, high idle, hanging idle, popping on deceleration, hard starting, and a few more issues.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,715 Posts
Thanks "1fast444". Calibration #4019752 is on my report from 2 days ago. They told me this was what they installed last Oct. 2019. I thought there was another newer update.
That flash wasn't available for us down here until last spring. Since you are north of the border, you may have been able to get that flash sooner because it didn't have to go through the same EPA approval process it would have down here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts