Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of newbie questions.

Got this sled for Christmas and trying to figure out a few things. I have been watching the trail status on the ofsc web site and I see that some trails have limited access at this time. Milverton and Arthur are the two that are close to me. I have looked at the trail maps which give a good general idea of where the trails go. Where do I get better details of which part is open and where there is a respectful place to park the van/trailer? I see the phone number of the clubs members but I figured they don't enjoy the phone calls about such general questions. Milverton would be my first choice since it is closer but would drive to Arthur if conditions were better. I live in Kitchener and have a cottage in Bayfield so I am around both locations. Is there such a thing as an organized group ride?

Next question which I imagine I will get a blast for but gonna ask anyway. Before you blast me keep in mind that at least I am asking. The sled that I got has the single sport seat. I have rode behind the cottage with the kids on the back no problem. We fit on the seat no problem and there is plenty of room for our feet. Is it legal to have two people on a single seat sled? Is there some sort of safety issue that I am overlooking? It seems to me that it would be just as safe as a two seater. It is not something I would like to do with a buddy (little too close and personal) but don't mind having my kids close.

Just to throw it out there I am well aware of permits and the other legalities that come along with snowmobiling so no need to respond with the "GET A PERMIT" stuff.

Look forward to seeing some of you on the trail :bum:

·
Registered
6,119 Posts

Got this sled for Christmas and trying to figure out a few things. I have been watching the trail status on the ofsc web site and I see that some trails have limited access at this time. Milverton and Arthur are the two that are close to me. I have looked at the trail maps which give a good general idea of where the trails go. Where do I get better details of which part is open and where there is a respectful place to park the van/trailer? I see the phone number of the clubs members but I figured they don't enjoy the phone calls about such general questions. Milverton would be my first choice since it is closer but would drive to Arthur if conditions were better. I live in Kitchener and have a cottage in Bayfield so I am around both locations. Is there such a thing as an organized group ride?

Next question which I imagine I will get a blast for but gonna ask anyway. Before you blast me keep in mind that at least I am asking. The sled that I got has the single sport seat. I have rode behind the cottage with the kids on the back no problem. We fit on the seat no problem and there is plenty of room for our feet. Is it legal to have two people on a single seat sled? Is there some sort of safety issue that I am overlooking? It seems to me that it would be just as safe as a two seater. It is not something I would like to do with a buddy (little too close and personal) but don't mind having my kids close.

Just to throw it out there I am well aware of permits and the other legalities that come along with snowmobiling so no need to respond with the "GET A PERMIT" stuff.

Look forward to seeing some of you on the trail :bum:[/b]
Welcome to HCS flyinhi :schild27:

Go for it and call the contact #'s for the clubs, that's why there on the web site, for people to call and ask questions. As for riding two up on a solo seat, there's no laws against it, just make sure you don't exceed the the sleds weight limit to the point control loss, and make sure your passengers understand their responsabilities as a passenger. If your kids are small enough it's usually best to have them up front. Any club member should be able to direct you to a good stagging area, and give you first hand info on what routes would be the best to suit your needs.

Great questions :thumbsup: I wish more would ask stuff like this rather then guessing !!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Call your local club and they will be happy to provide the information you require. They will also have district maps with all the details you need, including where you can park and leave from. You can ask them about trips as I am sure they will be out sledding too. Post here if you want to go anywhere and see who is going. Also there is a new site just up and running and will hopefully get more traffic as the word gets out.
http://rideconnection.forumotion.com/index.htm
Also check out the sticky post at the top. The prostate ride will be good.

Hope that help a bit. Most on here will be nice and give good advice. Do not be afraid to post even if you think it is a newbie question. Some of the posts get out of hand but they seem to be directed and individuals with a "history."

forgot to give you the :schild27:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gents! It sure doesn't take long to get a response here. I will give the members a call when I am ready to ride. I am thinking Saturday. Has anyone here been out on these trails? If so how are the conditions?

·
Registered
720 Posts

Where do I get better details of which part is open --You could try the OFSC web site. Click on the trails button at the top and then pick the area on the map and it will give you updates on the trails in that area.
- where there is a respectful place to park the van/trailer? I see the phone number of the clubs members but I figured they don't enjoy the phone calls about such general questions. - My suggestion would be to join a club. They would appreciate any help you could give them and don't mind answering questions. That is why they post the numbers

The sled that I got has the single sport seat. I have rode behind the cottage with the kids on the back no problem. We fit on the seat no problem and there is plenty of room for our feet. Is it legal to have two people on a single seat sled? Is there some sort of safety issue that I am overlooking? It seems to me that it would be just as safe as a two seater. As you yourself said It IS A Single Seat - You may well fit on the seat OK but as you also said you are up close and tight. This is OK maybe for a leisurely short ride around the backyard - on the trail is a different story. Unless the kid is very small I would say don't do it. In a crash you will end up crushing them against the bars if they are in front of you and if they are behind could fall off. Kids have a tendency to fall asleep while you drive also. Is it illegal - I would say yes - will you get charged - depends on the officer.

Just a couple of reminders _ 1. Trail permit
2. - join a club ( good place to get advice)
3. Make sure your sled is insured
4. Think about a tow behind sled for the kids
5. Be careful - especially with the kids (they have a tendency to also grab the handle bars and have been known to hit the trottle unexpectedly - sometimes when you get off to do something and leave them sitting on an idling sled (just for a second you say)
6. Have fun. That is what it is all about

·
Registered
853 Posts
:schild27: To the forum 'flyinhi' no question is a silly question. Just to add about two up ridding , if your wanting to have the kids sit behind you make sure they can see ahead of you ( whats coming up on the trail) could be dangerous. On page 295 Royal Distributing has a inexspensive rumble seat for $79.95 that adapts to most single seaters.

Happy Sledding!
Yukon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
If your looking to park on Saturday or Sundays inArthur you can park at the Liquidation World on the north side of Arthur, just as your'e leaving town on Hwy 6. trail runs right across the road from it, park at the northern corner, usaully lots of trucks and trailers there. cannot park overnight but daytime parking is allowed. Hope this helps.

G

·
We ride with our daughter up front all the time, she is seven. Usually she is on the two up but I also take her on the single seat. Driven through S.T.O.P. without a word being said. Just remember to take it easy with a child on board. We have gone over 200 miles in a day with her and she loves it. I bet if she was sitting behind she would not enjoy the ride at all as she could not see a thing. One thing I do prefer is that the sled my daughter is on remains behind so if some joker blowing a turn hits us it will not be the sled she is on. Depending on the age and size of your kids would dictate what is best. A two up would be best but as long as you are cautious I say get out and enjoy yourself. Give your local club a call, I recieve calls all the time and am always willing to help anyone with information I can and I bet any club member would do the same. Perhaps look into joining your local club and maybe lending a hand here and there, I know any help is very much appreciated. When you buy your pass you will get a map so buy where you ride, you will most likely find more detailed maps on the clubs site than on the OFSC site as it shows mostly TOP trails and feeders but not all the local club trails which often are some of the best..Here is a link you may find useful if you do not already have it. http://www.snowroamers.com/trail_info_hsr.php. Please be aware that this area has alot of farmland so make sure you check before you go as it does not take much for one of our generous landowners to revoke the right to pass across their land if damge is done to winter crops etc.. Welcome to HCS and have a safe and fun winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again thanks for the replies. I see we have a mixture of views on my situation. I love the idea of the rumble seat. I think I will go grab one of those and see how it fits the kids. My kids are 8 and 9 so they are sorta in that in between age. Can still put them up front but not for too many more years. We are going to try out the one sled this year and if we enjoy it we are going to grab another next year and do family rides. By no means is my idea to get on the trail with the kids and rip it up. A nice leisurely ride would be awesome with the kids. Of coarse there is always the guys that have the new hot sleds that just gotta give 'er and of coarse I will have to be aware of that with the kids on the sled. Snowbear thanks for the parking info, that is a great help. Arthur is about a half hour or so I think I may just go there this weekend if it remains open. CanadianLad yes I will get insurance, permits and all that other great stuff. This weekend I will limit my riding to just me on the sled and feel it out. I am going to get a friend who is also new to the sport to come with and enjoy the trails. I guess I will join the New Dundee club and I have no problem helping out with making things more enjoyable for all. I am not sure wether I will do more riding close to Kitchener or if the cottage will be the riding place of choice. I guess a season of riding will give me a better idea. I would rather help where I will ride most. Do we have any snowmobile OPP riders on the forum? I think they would be a great resource for quality info. I see that one of the forum riders went riding with an OPP snowmobiler, lets get him on here as a valuable resource.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Drop at new gas station on south side of Alma on cty. rd. #7 This should cut off 10 min. of your drive. The trail runs right beside it.
I would be in for a Sat. ride if you want a guided tour? Pm me if you want.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I love the idea of the rumble seat. I think I will go grab one of those and see how it fits the kids. My kids are 8 and 9 so they are sorta in that in between age. Can still put them up front but not for too many more years. We are going to try out the one sled this year and if we enjoy it we are going to grab another next year and do family rides. By no means is my idea to get on the trail with the kids and rip it up. Do we have any snowmobile OPP riders on the forum? I think they would be a great resource for quality info. I see that one of the forum riders went riding with an OPP snowmobiler, lets get him on here as a valuable resource.[/b]
There is also a larger 2 up seat available at royal that just screws on in seconds on Page 296 Seat Jack it's a bit more $$$$429 but well worth it sturdy and comfy also has side handles . The Opp Officer that took 'Nutter' out on parade is HCS's very own 'Odot1' and yes he's very helpful and provides us with excellent information.

Yukon :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you make it to Arthur, just north is Mount Forest. Great motel to stay in right on the trail (Pike Lake Motel ) and licensed rest across the street.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Once Mount Forest opens and you want to drive that far you can park at the parking lot across the road from The Spot resturant, also on hwy 6 north of the town, you can park there overnight if you get courageous and do a overnighter. Pike lake is a great spot to stay also.Welcome to the sport. If your kids really get into going with you you might want to consider one of your sleds to be a 2-uper , that is riding in comfort. Just a thought. :eclipsee_steering:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts