Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new and dont have a sled. My questions are for research on a motor swap for my Ridge Runner buggy. I have a Ridge runner buggy that runs the 2006 Polaris sportsman 800 Atv drive train. I am considering swaping the the 4 stroke atv motor for a 2 stroke sled motor. I am not set on a specific motor just yet am open to suggestion. Righ now a older Indy motor from the late 90's looks good since i can buy the whole sled for a reasonable price and will have all the parts necessary. My question is will the driven clutch from the sled fit my transmision so i can still have reverse. I need to find out what the diameter of the shaft the driven clutch goes on on the sled. I have heard that polaris uses the same size shafts on all their cvt clutches. So i am tring ot figure out if the cluthces from the sled will bolt on. any help would be greatly appreciated. Or suggestions for whic motors are better than others.

My modified 4 stroke 800 i have now has a little over 60 horse power. I am tinking i would like to get to around the 100 horse mark and be as reliable as possible and have electric start. I have been searching this forum and other s and will continue but havent found anything concrete yet....

thanks for your help in advance.

hans

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think you'll be largely on your own for this project.
I would look for an 01, 02 skidoo 700 or a 01, 02 polaris 800 twin, as either motor has a good rep and there is good parts support. The two things I'd be concerned with would clutch set-up (& belt length to work with the clutches). the two stroke pipe would be my other big concern. You'll likely be modifying the stock pipe or having a custom one made to fit the available space. A two stroke is very dependent on the pipe to work.

Good luck and have lot of patience for the tuning time to make it run right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My $2.00 (inflation) is that you should find a 98xc with the 220 cils, you may be able to find a sled with low miles
for around $1200. nice torqe # for your app.! thats what i would do. good luck with your mod!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could you elaborate on the 98 xc with 220 cils a little more please. i know little to nothing about sled terms. is 220 the bore or displacement? sorry if it s a dumb question.

·
Registered
195 Posts
does the 98xc have electric start that you know of?[/b]
the 220 were the jugs that came with that motor. The jugs on later models were 824 you would be happy with them also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts