Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I will keep it as short as possible. I am handy with two strokes, but am clueless with this 4 stroke govenor stuff. I picked up a 2000 polaris 120 for my son for Christmas. He loves it. He was able to ride it one day until the snow melted last Sunday 12/23. It was a local dealers son's sled and was kept in pretty good shape. Motor runs great. Starts first pull when cold and starts right up when hot. What I have done so far, greased everything, fixed the headlight, adjusted chain to 1/4" play, checked track tightness, maxima chain wax on the chain, changed plug, wrapped header pipe and some of silencer since it was getting pretty hot under there after the first hour of riding, I had some header wrap laying around, worked great.

I am on limited funds right now so I will not be doing the wheel kit this year, but am intersted in a little more top speed without damaging the sled. I did read that the governor by pass kit will work, but there is a plastic gear in there that can be screwed up when doing this mod. Is this true? How hard would it be to remove that plastic gear. Any input would be great. The day I picked up the sled I also purchased some 93 octane fuel, I just read to not run anything over 87 at recsports website, should I dump it or run it? Also what weight oil goes in these for when I do another oil change.

Last question, how noisy is the track when your sled is in motion. This one, when you lift it off the ground, sounds like a giant electric motor. Is this normal? Everything looks great under the track, and the noise sounds uniform. Just a little noisy compared to the bigger sleds.

Thanks Tim

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,450 Posts
Noisy track, thats normal, mine sounds like its fighting itself. But from what my buddys tell me thats normal.
Lucky yours starts that easy, my 06 F120 is a very very cold blooded SOB.
I put some high quality synthetic 5w30 in it, everything seems fine.

I may have some extra wheels for a rear wheel kit if your interested.

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,450 Posts
Both of you loosen the track.
When you lift the machine the track should hang down about 1/2" without pulling it.
If it ratchets tighten it a little.[/b]
Yes master.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Yes master.[/b]
:biggrin:

Finally someone who will listen to me. :party43:

My wife and kids don't. :wall:

At the first race of the year my oldest sons sled was ratcheting at the start but he always had the hole shot and only ratcheted when moving around in the pits.
It also had about 200 extra RPM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of you loosen the track.
When you lift the machine the track should hang down about 1/2" without pulling it.
If it ratchets tighten it a little.[/b]

I notice track does not hang down at all when I lift the sled. Should it hang down in the center? Seems really tight to me. I will loosen it before the next ride. Snow is falling right now and we should have 5 inches to ride in the morning. Perfect for his sled. I miss living in Up State NY. Thanks for the replies, I will report back with results on the track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noisy track, thats normal, mine sounds like its fighting itself. But from what my buddys tell me thats normal.
Lucky yours starts that easy, my 06 F120 is a very very cold blooded SOB.
I put some high quality synthetic 5w30 in it, everything seems fine.

I may have some extra wheels for a rear wheel kit if your interested.[/b]

Yes I am interested. Can you send private messages on here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. Track ratcheting is gone. I think the chain being to loose is what was causing it. I must have taken an an inch and a half of slack out of it. (Dealer supposedly serviced it!) Head jerking cluth engagement is gone. It now has a very smooth takeoff. That and loosening the track another inch took care of the noise to. It is not as deafening as it used to be. We ended up with 5inches today and probably another 5 tonight. This thing realy loves powder, Ty barely has to touch the throttle on it to maintain speed. I am going on a hunting trip so I will have to brush the wife up on how to get it running. Take care. Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts