Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i just got into riding after going with a buddy last winter and got a good deal on a 99 700xc. it wasn't all that well kept up and so i'm going through it cleaning and all that. i keep reading about jetting and clutching and all that but it's all looking greek to me. in dumb guy terms can somebody let me know what the best thing to do right off the bat to get it runnin strong. i've got the motor apart and i know a little about motors. i'm putting new pistons and rings in. the exhaust looks a little busted up and somebody i read on here, said that it's worth just leaving the stock exhaust but this one's pretty busted. if i have to get another one is it worth just buying one of the slp's? what about the gearing, clutching, weights and helix?? all the numbers/colors are what i'm not getting? any of that kind of help would be appreciated. thanks a lot.
b.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, i heard that you can get brackets to lower the rear of the track to give it a little more aggressive stance. is that true? or is it something that comes with the rail extension and longer track? also how important is the heat shield under the hood? this one is pretty beat too. thanks again.
b.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
How many miles on the sled?
If not properly maintained , you should also take out the rear suspension , check for cracks, check shafts, bushings and idler wheel bearings.
Clutches may need a rebuild and shocks too.
Dropping the rear suspension with brackets will give you more clearance in deep snow , but will hurt the flat cornering.

Go to polarisindustries.com to download parts manuals or you can see them online at www.partsland.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has about 3000 miles on it. i've looked around and haven't seen anything that looks obvious but i'll probably get to that after i get the engine and stuff cleaned up and back together. but the clutch and weights are kinda what i was wondering about. if i'm rebuilding them, i'm going to want to do it right and put whatever should be on the sled, on the sled. but i was hoping also for an explanation on the clutch weights and all that too. thanks again.
b.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I believe the xc sp had the lower racing seat and was black in 99. No difference as far as motor is concerned. It may have had different shocks also...I can't remember.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Slightly smaller tank on the sp too.
As for clutch setups , try a search for "xc700" on here , you should find lots of good info

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i guess i'm trying to figure out what exactly the colors and stuff are and what the primary and secondary spring are? is that all that people mean when they talk about doing the clutch? and what are/where are the weights that people are talking about too? thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts