Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
New vector this year 1'st 4 stroke too love the sled it going to take some getting used to only been out once put on about 130 miles some handling issues thats why I'm on this site trying to soak up as much info as i can before i start messing with settings.I think most of my problems is getting used of the throttle in corners just not used to the braking but a few more times out will help i hope.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New vector this year 1'st 4 stroke too love the sled it going to take some getting used to only been out once put on about 130 miles some handling issues thats why I'm on this site trying to soak up as much info as i can before i start messing with settings.I think most of my problems is getting used of the throttle in corners just not used to the braking but a few more times out will help i hope.[/b]
This is my first 4 stroke as well ,you need new ski carbides at lease 6 inch, it comes with 3 inch. I had ski doo starting in 1974 to 2007 the handling my 05 rev was the worst sled for handling as well as leg cramps ( could not move around) Is you sled a vector or vectorLTX

·
Registered
340 Posts
New vector this year 1'st 4 stroke too love the sled it going to take some getting used to only been out once put on about 130 miles some handling issues thats why I'm on this site trying to soak up as much info as i can before i start messing with settings.I think most of my problems is getting used of the throttle in corners just not used to the braking but a few more times out will help i hope.[/b]
Once you master the engine braking in the corners you will love it... I've been riding my vector for three seasons now and just love it... I get anywhere from 17.5 / 21.9 mpg... I never use any oil for the season either... I put studboy duece bars on and it doesn't dart and corners great... MMV.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have Vector GT I already think its great but its going to take some getting used to I really don't understand alot about the adjustments though usually just ride stock out of the box. after reading some stuff on this forum feel like I'm missing something going to have to do alot more research. If I soften the the front clicker shocks won't that put more preasure on the skis and increase darting sorry if these questions sound stupid to some but i'm really new to this stuff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have Vector GT I already think its great but its going to take some getting used to I really don't understand alot about the adjustments though usually just ride stock out of the box. after reading some stuff on this forum feel like I'm missing something going to have to do alot more research. If I soften the the front clicker shocks won't that put more preasure on the skis and increase darting sorry if these questions sound stupid to some but i'm really new to this stuff.[/b]
Your 08 Vector GT should be basically the same sled as my 07 Apex GT with the exception of the engine. The sled will feel somewhat tippy with the stock setup unless yours is setup different then mine was. I can give you a starting point that may help but you will need to play with some of the settings to make is right for you.

1) Set your rear sag according to the manual. There is also a good FAQ under ty4stroke.com in the Apex section.
2) Lift the front of the sled off the ground. Loosen the locks and the tension of the springs until they rattle.
3) Tighten them down until the rattle is gone. Then tighten the locknut. This will put less weight on the skis and lower the front end.
4) Tighten the limiter strap by one hole. This will limit the weight transfer. There is also another adjustment on the skid for transfer.
5) Adjust the clickers on the front skis to the normal settings in the manual. You have a good starting point which should help.
6) I also bought new Slydog skis which was a big help as well.
7) There are some instruction on ty4stroke.com under Apex FAQ that talk about shimming the skis if it likes to dart.
8) keep track of the initial settings so if you don't like these you can set them back.

I love mine since I got it dialed in a bit.

Good Luck,

Brad

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yup, I have a 2008 Vector LTX, coming off of 13 years of riding Cats.

With the suspension adjustments as mentioned in the above post, this sled now handles great.

The engine may be the best trail motor in the biz right now. Super torquey, linear, smooth and quiet. It feels electric in its power delivery and puts a BIG smile on my face every time I pull the trigger. I only have 500 miles on my sled so it still isn't fully broken in yet. It pulls like mad up to 80-90mph, and then it will top out between 95 and 105 on the speedo depending on conditions. So it isn't really a top end demon, but the acceleration out of the corners is all anyone could every want. In good trail conditions it will pull 95mph on the speedo at just over 1/2 throttle and then top out around 105. In sloppy, loose snow it will still pull 90-95 which is all any 120hp sled I have ever been on will do.

The ride from the 136" mono rear is very plush and comfortable with no kick-back nor any type of ill behavior. I love it!

I added 6" Bergstrom tripple point carbides with ski savers and shims and am very happy with the results - zero darting / tracking problems.

It isn't perfect. It does feel heavy at times like when running through the tight, twisty trails and it can still push in corners a bit more than I like.

But in the end I can't imagine being happier on any other sled out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

With the suspension adjustments as mentioned in the above post, this sled now handles great.

The engine may be the best trail motor in the biz right now. Super torquey, linear, smooth and quiet. It feels electric in its power delivery and puts a BIG smile on my face every time I pull the trigger. I only have 500 miles on my sled so it still isn't fully broken in yet. It pulls like mad up to 80-90mph, and then it will top out between 95 and 105 on the speedo depending on conditions. So it isn't really a top end demon, but the acceleration out of the corners is all anyone could every want. In good trail conditions it will pull 95mph on the speedo at just over 1/2 throttle and then top out around 105. In sloppy, loose snow it will still pull 90-95 which is all any 120hp sled I have ever been on will do.

The ride from the 136" mono rear is very plush and comfortable with no kick-back nor any type of ill behavior. I love it!

I added 6" Bergstrom tripple point carbides with ski savers and shims and am very happy with the results - zero darting / tracking problems.

It isn't perfect. It does feel heavy at times like when running through the tight, twisty trails and it can still push in corners a bit more than I like.

But in the end I can't imagine being happier on any other sled out there.[/b]
I have a vector LTX studed it has tunnel protecters on ,first time out the studes damaged the back heat exchanger I had to shim it down another 1/2 inch ( the studes are ony 1/4 inch above the track lug) I think the lug are bending alittle. Has any one had this problem

·
Registered
114 Posts

But in the end I can't imagine being happier on any other sled out there.[/b]
Mike, replace the skis and it will feel lighter in the corners. I was considering the 08 Vector GT but my dealer gave me a good deal on the 07 Apex GT so I went that route. That 120hp motor in the Apex frame is a great combination.

Enjoy your season!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the info, going to try it out this weekend mine is also 07 vector GT good deal on left over, hoping to get it broke in this weekend so Ican let it rip. I came off ZL 600 and that thing sucked up gas and oil like it was going out of style.I could'nt believe the mileage i was getting the first time out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is my first Yamaha and my first 4 stoke, I have just over 300 miles on my 08 Vector LTX GT and I absolutely love it! I haven't made any major changed to the suspension yet, I only adjusted the transfer rod to about half way, might take a little more transfer out, and I turned my dial up a little harder. I am going to adjust the rear shock to make it a bit stiffer. I also shimmed my skis and it totally eliminated the darting. This engine is real strong, you can feel the torque everywhere!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the info, going to try it out this weekend mine is also 07 vector GT good deal on left over, hoping to get it broke in this weekend so Ican let it rip. I came off ZL 600 and that thing sucked up gas and oil like it was going out of style.I could'nt believe the mileage i was getting the first time out.[/b]
just so you know they get faster with the miles you put on. they dont fully break in until they hit the 1000-1500 mile mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new vector ltx here. only have 80 miles on it bought it this past saturday. new ride for sure my crippled up back sure likes it. cat convert. all my bros said i went to the dark side ....lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have 1400 miles on my Vector LTX now.

Here is what I wrote on another forum...

Just got back from a 900 mile ride in the UP. Started out in St Ignace, hit Paradise, Grand Marais, and then 280 miles later we were in Munising where we stayed for 2 nights. The second day we rode down to Manistique and then back to Munising, then from Munising to Ishpeming and back. Yesterday we rode from Munising back to St. Ignace and we left this morning.

Anyway, the clock on my Vector LTX now reads 1430 miles. Here is what I have to say...

This sled has quickly become my favorite sled of all times!

Going into this trip, I still wasn't too confident with the Vector's handling. I am happy to say that now I can rail this machine around the corners with more confidence than any other machine I have been on. This sled LOVES throttle through the corners! When you have a sweeping corner, just lay on the throttle and let the back end slide a little, and the front end magically settles down and stays planted as well as any sled I have been on. Even when the inside ski does come up a bit, you can still ride out the corner with the outside ski planted and it just rails! It is a better handling machine than my 1998 ZR with a fully coupled skid ande a wide front end! It is just silly how much power you can lay down on the corners with this machine. The only adjustment I made is a limiter strap change, I sucked up the limiter strap 1 hole. I started out with the transfer rod set to minimum transfer but didn't like the way the track spun with no hook-up, so I slowly backed off of the transfer and now have great weight transfer with little to no ski lift in the corners. The transfer rod is now set to one click past standard, towards the max transfer position.

The engine really loosened up over the past 900 miles and now is over-reving. Hitting the throttle at 60mph yields 8800rpm and from a dead stop I am still seeing 8600-8700 on the tach for as long as I dare hold it open. It cruises at 90mph at just over 1/2 throttle. I usually ride in the 60-80mph range so top end isn't much of a concern to me. But it sure gets to 80 quickly!

The ride of the mono is fantastic, easily outclassing the Polaris Edge models I was riding with. The Edges used to be tops in my book as far as ride quality is concerned in the stutters. I found that the mono, set at about 6 on the adjustment dial, provides a good ride in the stutters and yet is still confident in the rollers. Set on position 1, the mono would "yo-yo" a bit in the rollers as there wasn't enough rebound dampening. This skid provides very good feedback from the snow. It is plush yet you still have a good sense of the snow conditions. It isn't as plush as a properly calibrated M-10, but it is pretty darned good. The Edge suspension felt like a rock compared to mine in the nasty, sharp stutters.

The front suspension is firm yet doesn't provide too much feadback through the handlebars. It is firm in a good way...firm yet giving at the same time. I like it!

Overall I would give this sled a 9 out of 10. If it weighed 500lbs or less it would be even better.

The only time the weight shows up is on a sharp, 90 degree hairpin turn in sticky snow. Then there is more steering effort than I would like. But outside of that it steers as easy as the 3 Edges I was riding with and tracks better with less darting than any of the other sleds.

Mods so far...Bergstrom tripple point carbides with ski shims, Doo rear idler wheels, and Silverstar bulbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts